Gaycandybacon
11 years ago
Looking at other teams in the league, you know watching the games here and there on tv oother than the Pack.
I think our Offensive Line isn't that bad.

Zombie and others pointed it out that Ted has done a great job drafting Linemen. I as well believe we're an underrated group baring Bulagas injury.

It seems like when watching this team , more than other teams, we pick up blitzes and can digest rushing schemes very well. We just need to win those tough 1 on 1 battles and our line could be one of the best.

RajiRoar
11 years ago
I blame scheme/playcalling more than anything with our current group.

am i crazy or does it seem that we don't block down field very often.. it seems like our OL is always stuck the LoS.

3rd and 😣

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

I blame scheme/playcalling more than anything with our current group.

am i crazy or does it seem that we don't block down field very often.. it seems like our OL is always stuck the LoS.

3rd and ](*,)

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

That one run where Cobb ran from the backfield inside, we blocked down field and picked up a pretty good gain. It's rare indeed, but our type of team doesn't run like that. We don't run a lot of trap plays or streachs, which I wish we did..
nerdmann
11 years ago
They're better at pass blocking than they are at run blocking.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
11 years ago
No, IMHO they are average at best.
Rodgers and his quick feet bail them out time and again, a pure pocket passer would be in serious trouble in Green Bay.
Blocking in the run game is a pure cluster fuck.

James Campen may be the biggest problem with the OL, it's beyond time for a coaching/philosophy change regarding Green Bays OL.
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
I believe the Oline is better than they appear.

First is run blocking, Since McCarthy came, our run game and blocking has gone down hill. I think that is because of the scheme and our players not fitting. We are not good at blocking the outside zone, and because of so, we have run less. The old saying that running backs become better as the game goes on is not accurate. The run game becomes more productive because the defense gets worn down. We haven't been wearing down defenses.

Second, Pass rush. Not running the ball, deeper longer developing routes and the number of snaps we take from the shotgun all are beneficial to pass rushers. With the shotgun, there is no question on how deep Rodgers is going to be, where coming from under center, could be 1,3,5,7 steps. Because of that, our Tackles always have to protect the deep outside speed rush, which always opens up a bigger lane for an inside move. Not running the ball, makes it like a defense rushing in the 4th qtr with a 30 point lead. Just pin the ears back and go. And longer routes, take more time.

I have seen some changes this year, in less outside zone run blocking, especially noticeable this last week. And it worked. We have been able to run between the tackles this year with Benson and both Green and Starks. It is when we go outside that we don't have success.

Keep running, very the QB drop and have more slants, or under drag routes to check to so Rodgers has more options to check to when the deep ball is covered. Do that and our line will be just fine.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
11 years ago
Gay - What I meant was Uncle Ted is off the hook for our OL. He's done his job drafting them. The coaches are responsible for taking his draft picks and converting them to NFL level players.

How good is our OL? By looking at the actual results, they seem pretty bad. Aaron has been sacked 28 times in 9 games and none of our RBs are averaging more than 3.5 yards per carry.

Now let's make a comparison here. In 2003, we had an elite level OL. It was the only time since I've been following the Packers in the mid-70s when I'd rank our OL as elite level.

2003 - we had not one, not two, but THREE RBs who averaged 5.0 ypc or better. And Favre got sacked only 19 times that year. Aaron's already been sacked 28 times and we've played 9 games.

So something is wrong. The only guy in the clear is Uncle Ted because since joining the Packers, he's given us 14 OL draft picks including two first round OTs (in 2010 and 2011). Someone else needs to be blamed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
11 years ago

Gay - What I meant was Uncle Ted is off the hook for our OL. He's done his job drafting them. The coaches are responsible for taking his draft picks and converting them to NFL level players.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Most know my feeling on Campen, but does Ted really get a pass for his offensive line choices?

Name one of his line choices that went elsewhere and performed well. The only marginal one I can think of is Colledge.. and that is extremely margin. We got better when he left.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Most know my feeling on Campen, but does Ted really get a pass for his offensive line choices?

Name one of his line choices that went elsewhere and performed well. The only marginal one I can think of is Colledge.. and that is extremely margin. We got better when he left.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Tackles (7): Tony Moll (2006-5b), Breno Giacomini (2008-5), T.J. Lang (2009-4), Jamon Meredith (2009-5b), Bryan Bulaga (2010-1), Marshall Newhouse (2010-5b), Derek Sherrod (2011-1).

Guards (6): William Whitticker (2005-7b), Daryn Colledge (2006-2a), Jason Spitz (2006-3b), Allen Barbre (2007-4), Josh Sitton (2008-4b), Caleb Schlauderaff (2011-6a).

Center (1): Junius Coston (2005-5a).

Going by year:
2005 Coston played 'til '07 and Whitticker bombed. Fail
2006 Colledge and Spitz are still playing in the NFL today and Moll played up until last year. Success
2007 Barbre played up until last year. Wash
2008 Sitton starts for us and Giacomini starts for the 'Hawks. Success
2009 Lang is an important guy for us now who gets moved around all the time and Meredith started 4 games this year for the Bucs. Success
2010 Bulaga and Newhouse are both still on the team. Success
2011 Sherrod had that freak injury and Schlauderhaserhorf or whatever his name is still plays on the Jets, although he has no starts this year. Wash
2012 Datko's on our PS. He may be called up soon. ?

So yeah, I'd say Uncle Ted is off the hook.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
I don't see the OL as being underrated.

As ZS pointed out the team has given up too many sacks. Some are on Aaron Rodgers for holding the ball too long. This is especially frustrating after having the buzzer go off in TC after 2.6 seconds. Seems like that was a wasted drill.

The struggles with the RB isn't all their fault. Some of it belongs on the OL. If it is the wrong blocking scheme that too is somewhat their fault. They are professionals in the NFL they have to excel in whatever system they are placed in. They can not be so limited as to only be good at one thing and one thing only.

That said I somewhat disagree with not looking at Uncle Teddy for some of the problem. He may have drafted 14 players but he used very few high draft picks on the line. It is very difficult to turn coal into diamonds. It takes a lot of pressure, heat and time. Would I have wanted him to give up the WRs and gone with better linemen? No but just because he selects someone in the 6th or 7th round doesn't mean he is in the free and clear and that he is not responsible. Linemen in the 1st 2 rounds usually excel. 3-4th are capable of starting. The ones drafted 5-7 rounds are projects at best. 7 of them were picked up in the lower rounds so it is no surprise that most of them did not contribute in significant fashion.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.