Gaycandybacon
11 years ago
Sacks>Interceptions We don't wanna be Cutler and do both!
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Sacks>Interceptions We don't wanna be Cutler and do both!

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Wish Aaron would throw the ball away more and not take sacks.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

He really shouldn't worrie about that though. That's the fault of to many QBs. They're afraid to take nothing and make it into something.

Every QB does it not just Aaron. I think it's a piss poor excuse imo that a lot of people make because there's so many things happening on the field at once and sometimes he's inside the pocket and no ones open. I say try to make a play everytime just be smart with the football. Most times than not he does it very well.
steveishere
11 years ago

Every time I start thinking that I wait a few plays and watch him have a play where he holds the ball too long but buys enough time to make a huge first down or throw a TD. I really don't have any problem either with a 3rd down sack as opposed to throwing the ball away. It doesn't really change much.

I've never been a big fan of the sack stat though I think it's extremely overrated. It's the same thing as a TFL and it's an extra 4 or 5 yards as opposed to a throwaway but it's so revered as this amazing thing (or damaging thing if it happens to you) that changes the game so much when all it changes is a single drive (and that's only if the offense doesn't get a first down afterwards, in that case it really meant nothing).
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Every time I start thinking that I wait a few plays and watch him have a play where he holds the ball too long but buys enough time to make a huge first down or throw a TD. I really don't have any problem either with a 3rd down sack as opposed to throwing the ball away. It doesn't really change much.

I've never been a big fan of the sack stat though I think it's extremely overrated. It's the same thing as a TFL and it's an extra 4 or 5 yards as opposed to a throwaway but it's so revered as this amazing thing (or damaging thing if it happens to you) that changes the game so much when all it changes is a single drive (and that's only if the offense doesn't get a first down afterwards, in that case it really meant nothing).

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Couldn't disagree with you more about the sack stat, amigo.

Past 5 SB winners, 4 of them were among the top in the NFL in sacks. The lone exception were the '09 Saints who were #1 in INTs.

No coincidence.

Stop the pass, win the game. You either stop it by having one hell of a pass D or you put the opposing QB on his back. Either way is fine.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago

The mental effect of a QB getting swarmed and slammed to the ground cannot be over rated. If a QB is nervous in the pocket, it effects his entire game. That's a big reason sacks are important. A throw away generally doesn't hurt the QB at all. But a nasty sack of a 250 lb + (perhaps 325+) defensive player falling on their shoulder sticks with them the entire game.

zombieslayer
11 years ago

The mental effect of a QB getting swarmed and slammed to the ground cannot be over rated. If a QB is nervous in the pocket, it effects his entire game. That's a big reason sacks are important. A throw away generally doesn't hurt the QB at all. But a nasty sack of a 250 lb + (perhaps 325+) defensive player falling on their shoulder sticks with them the entire game.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Exactly.

These guys are all supreme athletes. I worked out with semi-pro guys and got injured in a scrimmage. Those guys can't hang with the pro guys so I can imagine just how awesome even your #3 and #4 pro guy is.

So, when you have someone who is a supreme athlete vs someone else who is also a supreme athlete, it comes down to morale/heart. It becomes a test of wills. We saw Tom Brady put up the best season ever for a QB (up until that time) in 2007 and Tom Coughlin get into his head to beat Brady in the SB. That's one example I probably use too frequently, but it's for a reason - it was an extreme performance getting nullified by better chess moves.

After these QBs all retire, ask them how they feel about CM3 standing over them and doing the Predator move. Ask if that got inside their heads. I can guarantee you it did.

There was a commercial years ago with Joe Montana looking at ink blots. The psychologist asks him "what do you see?" Montana says "Reggie White." The psychologist shows another ink blot and asks the same question. Same answer. Repeat one or two more times.

I know it's a joke, but I can also guarantee you that at any time, those QBs were hoping they had a safe distance from Reggie White.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
steveishere
11 years ago
I'm not saying that getting pressure on the QB or hitting him is overrated. That's what matters. I'm saying that the individual aspect of getting a sack is overrated. Nobody ever talks about TFLs or hits on the QB that cause a bad pass with nearly the respect that they talk about sacks. Players have an amazing season if they have 15 sacks on the year which is great but that only explains what happened on 15 out of 300+ of their pass rushes and probably a bunch of those sacks were meaningless because the other team got a first down afterwards.

If a QB gets sacked on his first 5 plays of the game but gets a completely clean pocket the rest of the game the "psychological impact" would be minimal and it would look like the other team really got after him when in reality they spent most of the game being stonewalled.

zombieslayer
11 years ago

I'm not saying that getting pressure on the QB or hitting him is overrated. That's what matters. I'm saying that the individual aspect of getting a sack is overrated. Nobody ever talks about TFLs or hits on the QB that cause a bad pass with nearly the respect that they talk about sacks. Players have an amazing season if they have 15 sacks on the year which is great but that only explains what happened on 15 out of 300+ of their pass rushes and probably a bunch of those sacks were meaningless because the other team got a first down afterwards.

If a QB gets sacked on his first 5 plays of the game but gets a completely clean pocket the rest of the game the "psychological impact" would be minimal and it would look like the other team really got after him when in reality they spent most of the game being stonewalled.

Sacks on 3rd down end drives. Unless you're in a 4 down situation. Sacks on 4th down of course end drives. Sacks on 2nd down usually end drives. I don't see how sacks can be overrated.

Even better than a sack is a sack + fumble.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
steveishere
11 years ago

Sacks on 3rd down end drives. Unless you're in a 4 down situation. Sacks on 4th down of course end drives. Sacks on 2nd down usually end drives. I don't see how sacks can be overrated.

Even better than a sack is a sack + fumble.

Throwing the ball away on 3rd down ends the drive as well. My point is everyone gets all exited over like 12 sacks a year from a player when all that means is that 12 drives were effected MAX. How many pass rushes does a full time edge rusher take a year like 300+ maybe? Then a number of those sacks probably didn't mean that much due to The other team converting a first down afterwards or being in a meaningless garbage time situation etc..

There is never any context with them and it's such a small sample of a players total body of work. It's become a very overrated stat. Nobody ever cares about TFL or batted/defensed passes like they do sacks. I'm not saying they are worthless and don't mean anything just that people overrate the stat itself.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.