Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I was pissed that we didn't draft a center when it was a definite weakness going into the season.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

It really doesn't matter who is drafted if the coaches can't coach them up properly. Why don't you folks realize this? It is not that complicated. Drop the whole draft more OL rhetoric until a new OL coach is brought in. Until then, it is nothing but a wasted draft pick.

UserPostedImage
musccy
11 years ago

I think Lang should go back to guard, EDS moved to center and bring in Barclay to play RT with a tight end next him. Saturday is done - and we are just fooling ourselves thinking we can get another season out of him.

I was pissed that we didn't draft a center when it was a definite weakness going into the season.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Agreed - it's scary to think how far away this team is in the OL. I'm not too worried about the guard play with Lang, Sitton, and possibly EDS, but beyond that I have minimal to no confidence in any talent at tackle (Bulaga, Newhouse, or Sherrod) and even the most optomisitic critique of Saturday would be that he's a 1 year gum in a leaking dam "fix."

Rios39
11 years ago
Today the rush was mostly all coming from the outside. I thought Osi gives us more problems than JPP, more pure speed off the edge.
blank
DakotaT
11 years ago

It really doesn't matter who is drafted if the coaches can't coach them up properly. Why don't you folks realize this? It is not that complicated. Drop the whole draft more OL rhetoric until a new OL coach is brought in. Until then, it is nothing but a wasted draft pick.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It's more than just replacing Campen. We need to spend a high draft pick on an interior lineman for once, instead of waiting until the sixth round. Your point is warranted and I agree with it, but you can't turn dogshit into patte. You have to have some talent. Rewatch the games this year and watch how Saturday gets pushed into the pocket. It's embarrassing.
UserPostedImage
musccy
11 years ago

Uh, I didn't call it that. I know there are greater and lesser talents on all teams that fill out the roster. The point is, even our starters have failed, miserably, against top pass rushes when we don't commit to the run.

1. Get your guys ready to run block.
2. Call the running plays that allow your guys to run block.
3. Win.

How hard is that?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

If it were that easy, everyone in the league would have a 100 yard rusher each game. I'm sure Campen is an issue, but aside from Lang and Sitton at guard, I have virtually no confidence in anyone else on the roster at any other OL position. They seemingly can't pull, move for screens, hell they were manhandled in a 3 man rush at times last night. Every f'n draft pick in 2013 should be on an OL - well maybe one pick on a WR capable of beating a 5'9" corner pressing at the line wouldn't hurt.

Zero2Cool
11 years ago
LT
T.J. Lang
C
Josh Sitton
Bryan Bulaga

C is obviously a need and they are grooming Saturday's backup.
LT is hopefully going to be adequately filled by Derek Sherrod.

Marshall Newhouse (my thoughts) is an serviceable backup T at either position to finish a game.

Howie Long says Bulaga is the best RT in the game, so I'm going to defer to his expertise on that.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That.
Yerko
11 years ago
I think it is a bit overboard to say we need to draft all offensive lineman in the next draft.
Bulaga is a good RT and minus some of his bad play this season, he has been just fine.
Sitton is the best lineman we have.
Lang is just fine at left guard...his play at right tackle is giving people a bad taste in their mouth.

Left tackle and center are the two positions in question. You can cancel out drafting a left tackle since we have a 1st round pick in Sherrod still waiting to play. Who knows what he will do when he is given that chance next season. Newhouse blows, that I will agree with. He is just as big of a wet fart as Webb on the Bears.
Center is an obvious need for this team. Saturday was a temporary fix that will not work past this season. He is just getting worked over and over again. At this point, I would take a top center in the draft and throw him into the mix immediately over another year with Jeff Saturday.
UserPostedImage
musccy
11 years ago

I think it is a bit overboard to say we need to draft all offensive lineman in the next draft.
Bulaga is a good RT and minus some of his bad play this season, he has been just fine.
Sitton is the best lineman we have.
Lang is just fine at left guard...his play at right tackle is giving people a bad taste in their mouth.

Left tackle and center are the two positions in question. You can cancel out drafting a left tackle since we have a 1st round pick in Sherrod still waiting to play. Who knows what he will do when he is given that chance next season. Newhouse blows, that I will agree with. He is just as big of a wet fart as Webb on the Bears.
Center is an obvious need for this team. Saturday was a temporary fix that will not work past this season. He is just getting worked over and over again. At this point, I would take a top center in the draft and throw him into the mix immediately over another year with Jeff Saturday.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I was speaking facetiously about using every pick on an OL, but at the bare minimum this team needs a solution at LT and C and I'm not confident that solution is on the roster right now.

Dakota mentioned EDS at center, I'd be curious about that myself, but that's far from a sure fire solution.
Pack93z
11 years ago
Of course they were dominated last night, but it is not solely an offensive line talent problem.

I will remain in the corner that much of the struggles fall upon Campen's feet, and that sets in motion a Mike McCarthy mindset that he has to pass often.

We actually moved the ball decently when we ran balanced.. and the offensive line could even up the advantage a bit.

I disagree with the analysis on Newhouse, he is developing nicely at left tackle, far from the worst issue upon the line. Really, I think much of the issue start with the center over the last couple of seasons.. Wells couldn't get a ton of push due to size, and Saturday is a step back there in terms of running the ball.

Put an ass kicking Center in the middle of this line so that we can consistently open holes up the middle and this entire line improves instantly.

Of course there are more issues than just that, but I truly don't think we are that far away. 4 of the 5 spots are in good hands. And yes, that includes Newhouse.

Newhouse struggles with speed especially on turf.. give him a chip block in terms of help on the edge so he can get set up and he accounts for himself just fine. The problem we have currently, is they are trying to help Lang on the edge as well.. and with our open sets, can't help both.

Bulaga's injury was especially detrimental with us rolling the dice with Sherrod and not much else at depth there. It bit us square.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.