doddpower
11 years ago

I can blame Rodgers. He is suppose to have such a great grasp of the offense. If he does, he should be seeing that the line is having difficulty and getting with McCarthy and saying, we need to do something to help these guys. But all I see are the same type plays over and over. 10 yard routes, or simple stops. We should be running screens, instant slants, drags underneath the LBers.

The entire offense seems to be, go deep. And if the throw isn't there, scramble and try to play ground it and get open. We use to run a slant from any WR position and defenses had to gamble if they could guess who was running it on a particular play.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Of course Rodgers deserves some blame. But most of the things you suggested weren't working either. Most the screen plays were terrible. "Instant" slants were largely neutralized by the receivers inability to get off the press. In fact, a strong press at the line can destroy almost any play call when Rodgers has no time to throw. I still think a better run game is the best option, considering how bad the Packers seem to be at screens. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, either.

It's just not as simple as instantly getting the ball out or Rodgers hands when the receivers are being jammed at the line and have no chance to catch the ball. They either have to back the defense off some or pass protect better.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

I put a lot of the offensive struggles on the panic of Mike McCarthy jumping to the spread formations and basically allowed the defense to pin their ears back on a line that struggles with speed. Stay with formations that at least threaten the run.. you have to get that defense to at least pause... didn't happen. We have to get mut tore physical at the point of attack running the ball... but we have known that since.. what 2005/2006. We cannot be a one dimensional team to beat this type of defensive team.. one built on speed.

But the defense, that looked like a game out of last season. Sloppy tackling, spotty coverage, just getting popped in the nose snap after snap.

Couple that with 2 turnovers early that gave the Giants field position..

It all spelled a ass kicking.. hopefully one that benefits them moving forward.

I think if the Packers were ever going to shit can Campen.. this game should be a final nail.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Got to agree. IMHO this game turned when Mike let Crosby try the 55yd FG. Instant flip of field position. Short field Giants score.

Turnover..short field Giants score

Turnover.... you all know the rest.

With the way the rest of the games turned out this weekend, Packers are no worse off.

They still control their own destiny, at least they won't be cruising into the playoffs this year thinking all they have to do is show up to win.

I'm not even gonna break this game down, no reason, total fail everywhere tonight.

Throw the tape away and move on, get ready for divisional games!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

Of course Rodgers deserves some blame. But most of the things you suggested weren't working either. Most the screen plays were terrible. "Instant" slants were largely neutralized by the receivers inability to get off the press. In fact, a strong press at the line can destroy almost any play call when Rodgers has no time to throw. I still think a better run game is the best option, considering how bad the Packers seem to be at screens. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, either.

It's just not as simple as instantly getting the ball out or Rodgers hands when the receivers are being jammed at the line and have no chance to catch the ball. They either have to back the defense off some or pass protect better.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

They were jamming about 3 yards off the LOS, the problem is, that on most of those plays, we were not running short routes, or slants or drags. One time they showed, was Cobb on a slant, and it gained 4-5 yards. Which I will take 10 of 10 times.

One problem is the shotgun. Quick slants go off 1 step drops. by the time the ball gets to Rodgers in the shotgun, it is to late. Which is the biggest reason we don't run them. There are other ways to counter being jammed. Line the WR off the LOS, so they have a couple yards extra cushion. Motion them. The problem is not being jammed. It is that defenses play us tight off the line and have help sitting 10-15 yards where most of the routes go.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
doddpower
11 years ago

They were jamming about 3 yards off the LOS, the problem is, that on most of those plays, we were not running short routes, or slants or drags. One time they showed, was Cobb on a slant, and it gained 4-5 yards. Which I will take 10 of 10 times.

One problem is the shotgun. Quick slants go off 1 step drops. by the time the ball gets to Rodgers in the shotgun, it is to late. Which is the biggest reason we don't run them. There are other ways to counter being jammed. Line the WR off the LOS, so they have a couple yards extra cushion. Motion them. The problem is not being jammed. It is that defenses play us tight off the line and have help sitting 10-15 yards where most of the routes go.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I think a big part of the problem in this game is the receivers being pressed. Of course there are ways to counter that, but they didn't happen this game and often don't. This has been the same recipe to beat up on the Packers for awhile now: get physical with the WRs on the line of scrimmage, pressure with 4 down linemen, and keep the safeties deep. Doing so mostly takes away the deep balls and pressing at the line mostly takes away the quick pass. Even if bunch formations or motion is used, that's only likely to free up one WR from the press on the line of scrimmage, and line backers or even tall defensive linemen batting the passes are tough to counter. Even if we completed more short passes, it wasn't going to get the Packers back in the game, and it's easy to lose patience in that situation, understandably. McCarthy has been trying to get the screen game going, it's just not working.

Quicker passes would help, but if the offensive line doesn't hold up better, they're not going to be very effective in the long run unless the Packers WRs get more physical. A combination of a much better running game, the threat of a screen game, and most importantly, better pass protection cumulatively would help, but most of those things are not likely to happen this season against great defenses. If the pass protection will hold up just a little longer, there are likely to be some open areas in the defenses to hit as the wide receivers fight through the press battle.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
The Packers, like everyone, have a plan until punched in the face. They got punched in the face and didn't know what else to do. The Giants just seem like men compared to the Packers boys.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

That should have been the script in both of our losses where we were completely crushed, SF and NYG, along with the first half against SEA. We were their bitches, because we did not force a sound rushing attack to wear down their extremely potent DLs.

McCarthy has to figure this out, and get his offense running a power running attack. He has to know it is the only way to control a premiere pass rush, and take the heat off his QB. Without that, we don't score, and our D wears down from all the 3 and outs.

A steady dose of BOTH Green and Starks would have made this a different game, and would have given us a chance to win. Our OL and our play calling simply were not up to the task.
play2win
11 years ago

The Packers, like everyone, have a plan until punched in the face. They got punched in the face and didn't know what else to do. The Giants just seem like men compared to the Packers boys.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I could not agree more. Zero adjustment. How can a head coach not anticipate a resurgence by the Giants DL after the bye? How do you call those dogs off? Always, always, by running the football. It opens everything else up. We were not up to that challenge, apparently.
musccy
11 years ago

That should have been the script in both of our losses where we were completely crushed, SF and NYG, along with the first half against SEA. We were their bitches, because we did not force a sound rushing attack to wear down their extremely potent DLs.

McCarthy has to figure this out, and get his offense running a power running attack. He has to know it is the only way to control a premiere pass rush, and take the heat off his QB. Without that, we don't score, and our D wears down from all the 3 and outs.

A steady dose of BOTH Green and Starks would have made this a different game, and would have given us a chance to win. Our OL and our play calling simply were not up to the task.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I disagree - the first two plays out of the gates were runs if I'm not mistaken, and the Packers were still honoring the running game even down 28 points.

The issue is Rodgers was on the run and being hit within 2 seconds, yet so little of the playcalling was devoted to quick developing routes - slants, screens, etc. I thought the 30 yd pass to Kuhn was great - release FBs and TEs out of protection for quick passes and gains, but I can count on my hand how many times this was attempted last night.

This ultimately boils down to our OL getting completely manhandled, but so few adjustments were made to counter this.

flep
11 years ago
Optimism mode on in full.

Let's put this down to just being one of those games.

3 division games on the bounce coming up and we can win them and guarantee the playoffs.

Then it's the Titans at home so that would be at least 11 wins and chance of a division title.

Let's not get too downhearted.

Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
play2win
11 years ago

I disagree - the first two plays out of the gates were runs if I'm not mistaken, and the Packers were still honoring the running game even down 28 points.

The issue is Rodgers was on the run and being hit within 2 seconds, yet so little of the playcalling was devoted to quick developing routes - slants, screens, etc. I thought the 30 yd pass to Kuhn was great - release FBs and TEs out of protection for quick passes and gains, but I can count on my hand how many times this was attempted last night.

This ultimately boils down to our OL getting completely manhandled, but so few adjustments were made to counter this.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

We disagree greatly here. 22 carries for 82 yds is not what I consider an overt dedication to running the football. Lets be real here too, Starks got 8 of those carries, AFTER the damage was already done.

You want to keep Aaron on his feet with time to throw? Have your OL ready to pound the frickin ball at the Giants front 7, mercilessly. Have both of your backs ready to run in rotation.

Neither happened last night. This is the 3rd time we put up a FAIL against a top tier defensive front. All 3 times we lost because we did not do this: perform a power rushing assault.

We can do it, but we choose not to. Our OL is not prepared to run it, and our play callers fail to call it. It is the recipe for success against a formidable pass rush. Why keep doing something over and over again when it doesn't work?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.