Pack93z
11 years ago

I should have stuck with NT Pack93z. I just have not been thrilled with the idea of leaving Raji and Pick without proper backup.

I expected more from Worthy and Neal. Those two disappointed me against the Giants.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I could point to trying to play nickel with a 2 man front and getting destroyed off guard.. but that would be making an excuse.

The guy that really had a bad game.. Brad Jones. He got tied up in traffic very often last night. Moses played decently, Walden showed he was nicked up. Hawk played another good game. Pickett was stout inside.. Raji was hit and miss. Daniels size was exposed a bit.. Neal is what he is, a up field player that can be beat at the point. Worthy I though played solid but didn't make a play all night.

I think we are starting to see that attrition bleed though with the loss of Bishop and Smith to injury.. we just can't rotate like we need to there.

I still will say we have better rotation overall in the defensive front.. but playing Pickett and Raji as much as we do is an issue.. but what else do you want them to do.. they are two of the best options we have.

I am not as concerned with the defense long term as I am with Mike McCarthy vs the offensive line limitations currently with play mix verse playoff caliber pass rushes. Notably, the Niners and the Giants.

To me.. there is a huge drop off past those two.. including us.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
11 years ago

Ted always leaves us dangerously thin at one position or another.

This year was OL.

And QB...

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Every team is always dangerously thin at one position group or another...

Often times for the Packers lately it has been linemen, on one side of the ball or the other. But the Packers have done a pretty good job with their "skilled" positions (aka non-linemen (I still disagree with that phase but it's caught on))

And we've got talent on the lines... but they're not getting the job done (coaching maybe?). And on the OL, the two most talented OTs are injured (Bulaga and Sherrod... Newhouse might be better right now than Sherrod but I think Sherrod has more pure talent).

What this team needs is a running game... and to get a running game they need at least a very good RB and a better run blocking OL... Lang and Sitton might be good enough to get that done at OG, but Saturday needs upgraded, Newhouse needs to get upgraded, Bulaga and Sherrod needs to get 100% healthy and play up to their potential.

RB Green doesn't seem to be able to read his blocks and doesn't have much power. Starks has power but seems to get into Mike McCarthy dog house and get injured at times.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
I think we're fine at NT.

We keep 6 DL. Two at each position.

NTs are Pickett and Raji. Pickett is the run stuffer, Raji is the pass rusher.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago

This is crazy talk.

Our #1 problem at OL is: COACHING. Plain and simple.

We have drafted OL with our #1 pick twice in the last 3 years. Bulaga with the 23rd pick in 2010. Sherrod with the 32nd pick in the 2011 draft. Let's face it, our coaches (Campen and Hilgenberg) are not coaching this OL properly, and McCarthy and Clements are not calling the plays properly to put our team in a position to win.

It is really simple. Get your guys together, tell them we are going to run at the opponent 55% of our plays. Then, fucking call those plays and let your guys tee off!

Alex Green alone should have had 22 carries. Starks should have that or close to that too. Guess what? We would have won, and our OL would have gotten the game ball.

We should have punched NYG in the mouth. Instead, we absorbed their rush with devastating consequences, putting our players mostly in pass protection. The play calling alone made them look like a bunch of pansies. You cannot absorb that from a quality DL, on a mission, and expect to win. No team can.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Our #1 problem at OL is not coaching. It's injury/talent. 2 of our last 3 first round picks, arguably the most talented players in each draft, are injured and not playing. And it is the coaches fault that our line is struggling? They are working with less talented players and, naturally, getting less out of them. Are people really suggesting that it is the coaches fault that Saturday is not a dominating player? I haven't heard anybody say that. Most people are saying that he is too old. So how is that Campen's fault?

How was our pass rush last night? Crappy. Would it have been better with Matthews in the game. I believe so. Why? Would Greene or Capers all of a sudden been better coaches? No. But you would have an incredibly talented player in the game. Talent makes a difference.

Is Aaron Rodgers the MVP because his coach was the best in the world or is he the MVP because he is immensely talented and driven? He may have a great QB coach, but he is a stud player and that is why he is MVP.

The game against the Giants was exactly the wrong type of game to have. When the Pack got down early, it allowed the Giants to ignore the run game and rush the passer with abandon. When you have a 20pt lead, who cares if you give up 7-8 yard runs? So that type of game put our weakness in the oline on display. Does anybody besides me think that our oline performance would have been better if the Pack D hadn't allowed the Giants to score at will and build a big lead?

Unquestionably, all facets of the coaching staff can be better. But so can all levels of our players. And so can all levels of every business in the world. Perfection is not attainable.
Rockmolder
11 years ago

I think that we're fine, as well. What team has more than two capable bodies at NT? We just happen to have our backup play DE, as well.

I'm quite disapointed in the way the Packers played yesterday, as well, but how many teams would manage to get an o-line function properly when your starting RT is on IR, your back-up T still isn't able to play, your guard has to move to T and a third year UDFA has to play G.

To be fair, after knowing that Sherrod would be out for such a long time, we should've taken a look on the waiver wire and try to get a bit deeper with either a veteran tackle or guard, but there are very few o-lines in this league that could survive two tackles going down.

Then, combining that with your nr. 1 receiver being out, that makes for a pretty tough situation for any offense.

The defense is even extremer, with two of your best players out, your only other OLB who seemed to have a chance at rushing the passer and a starting corner. I'd like to see how that Denver defense does when Dumervil and Miller get injured, joining Tracy Porter.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look for depth at those positions, it's just that you can't possibly have every single position covered depth-wise.

RajiRoar
11 years ago
As easy as it is to goat our OL, Rodgers and McCarthy have done them no favors this year.

(Holding the ball, not throwing short, calling long developing routes)

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Rockmolder
11 years ago

As easy as it is to goat our OL, Rodgers and McCarthy have done them no favors this year.

(Holding the ball, not throwing short, calling long developing routes)

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

I saw a ton of quick outs, sticks etc. None of our guys where getting any kind of seperation, though. Not that weird when they can constantly rush just four and get to Aaron in a second or three.
beast
11 years ago

Honestly I thought that for a while... but has Raji been getting any pass rush lately?

I'm a big Pickett fan and think he's underrated but this DL doesn't seem to be getting the job done as whole. Don't get me wrong it's been decent to good at times. But there hasn't been any real stand out players the last two years, just consistently slightly above average guys...

And for the record I have noticed they have changed the defense some, being more conservative with the DL, protecting the LB more going to a more traditional 3-4 defense like the Patriots used to run. BUT even with Capers lets the dogs loose playing in the aggressive styles like he has the last couple of years... they not really getting too much pressure other than against bad OL (like the Lions RG, which they took a bad OL and made him look horrible.).
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

I saw a ton of quick outs, sticks etc. None of our guys where getting any kind of seperation, though. Not that weird when they can constantly rush just four and get to Aaron in a second or three.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Exactly, I think that is what is being underlooked last night.. the receivers were getting handled in the jam and couple that with a defense that could let loose on the pass rush after we got down.. it was the perfect storm.

They and the rest of the NFL knows are MO.. we will abandon the run at some point if pushed. I had hope that we stick with it and stay patient. That pick was a killer that put a little panic in MM.

We are not as bad as that game indicated.. but we definitely have work to do. Cowherd called us frauds.. and beyond Rodgers a pathetic team. I hope those statements hit the locker room.. that and the late 4th down tries.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DarkaneRules
11 years ago
Well I mean fraud is harsh but we are certainly not super bowl contenders with the team we took out on the field yesterday.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.