musccy
11 years ago

Optimism mode on in full.

Let's put this down to just being one of those games.

3 division games on the bounce coming up and we can win them and guarantee the playoffs.

Then it's the Titans at home so that would be at least 11 wins and chance of a division title.

Let's not get too downhearted.

Originally Posted by: flep 

The problem is that this and the 49ers game exposed the Packers. This game wasn't an abberation that you can just burn the tape. As has been noted by others, the OL is awful, and this team will continue to be demolished if they face a quality front 4 and corners willing to press at the line. Great, the Packers beat the lowly Titans and Vikings - but once they face the '9ers and Giants again, it'll be the same demolition.
musccy
11 years ago

We disagree greatly here. 22 carries for 82 yds is not what I consider an overt dedication to running the football. Lets be real here too, Starks got 8 of those carries, AFTER the damage was already done.

You want to keep Aaron on his feet with time to throw? Have your OL ready to pound the frickin ball at the Giants front 7, mercilessly. Have both of your backs ready to run in rotation.

Neither happened last night. This is the 3rd time we put up a FAIL against a top tier defensive front. All 3 times we lost because we did not do this: perform a power rushing assault.

We can do it, but we choose not to. Our OL is not prepared to run it, and our play callers fail to call it. It is the recipe for success against a formidable pass rush. Why keep doing something over and over again when it doesn't work?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I'm too lazy to look up all the stats and sequence of play calls from last night, but this team was down 24-7 early in the 2nd quarter. There isn't a team in the NFL that will run the ball as you suggest if faced with that circumstance. On a bigger scale I agree with you. Somehow this finess approach won a super bowl, but it seems to have given a false sense of security to this team. The Falcons, '9ers, and Giants all have the ability to ground and pound, and whether or not the team commits to it, I question if they have the meat up front effectively do so.

M.M's approach is focused on OL protection waiting for late developing downfield routes, and the team does not have the ability to do that right now.

play2win
11 years ago

I'm too lazy to look up all the stats and sequence of play calls from last night, but this team was down 24-7 early in the 2nd quarter. There isn't a team in the NFL that will run the ball as you suggest if faced with that circumstance. On a bigger scale I agree with you. Somehow this finess approach won a super bowl, but it seems to have given a false sense of security to this team. The Falcons, '9ers, and Giants all have the ability to ground and pound, and whether or not the team commits to it, I question if they have the meat up front effectively do so.

M.M's approach is focused on OL protection waiting for late developing downfield routes, and the team does not have the ability to do that right now.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

OK, here is the first half summary of our rushing attempts:

12 rushes for 55 yds. And that is WITH Rodgers 2 scrambles.

I don't know how many times I have said this here this season, but McCarthy has got to get a better handle on committing to the run. Especially against a team with a dominant pass rush.

http://www.packers.com/assets/docs/gamebooks/2012/121125gamebook-giants.pdf 

10 attempts. 10 run plays called for an entire half. Yeah, we're gonna lose. That is precisely the kind of shit that will get any team down 24-7 early in the 2nd quarter... against a fierce NYG front seven looking to get their team back on track.

Those downfield routes work best when the opposing D is forced to honor the run.
play2win
11 years ago
Well, Jason Wilde had a good run at it:

'But the fact of the matter was this Sunday night: The Packers (7-4) loss to the Giants (7-4), in the grand scheme of things, did not matter.

Oh, winning certainly would have been preferred, but it was hardly essential to the Packers’ long-term goals. If you don’t believe that, consider the cautious way coach Mike McCarthy approached the game injury-wise (not playing wide receiver Greg Jennings despite Jennings’ Friday claim that he was “ready,” not pushing Matthews to return from his hamstring injury) and the fact that the Giants lost last year’s regular-season meeting here (38-35 on Dec. 4).

With that result, the Packers improved to 12-0 and the Giants fell to 6-6 … and went on to beat the Packers in the playoffs and win Super Bowl XLVI. In fact, the Giants walked out of MetLife Stadium talking about how much confidence they'd gained -- by losing.

So maybe the Packers’ quality of play reflected that relative unimportance?

“Maybe it’s a good reminder of what happens when you don’t come to play,” veteran defensive tackle Ryan Pickett said. “I’m telling you, we’re going to take this as a positive. We didn’t have enough energy. They played harder than us. That’s not going to happen again. If we lose, it’s not going to be because a team played harder than us.

“That’s just not going to happen. It’s not acceptable around here. It definitely won’t happen again. This will be motivation for us the rest of the year.”"

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=5001&is_corp=1 

Hey, maybe this loss proves to be more of a catalyst to winning the big stuff, the important stuff, like many of you had mentioned earlier.
millertime
11 years ago
We really are more banged up than I imagined.

Clay Matthews
Charles woodson
Des bishop
Dj smith
Nick perry
Sam shields

That's half our starters on D! Did you really expect walden and Moses to be able to get pressure? Our o-line also had no chance against that NY d-line. We match up terribly with the giants. We have to hope that Chicago, san Fran, new orleans, or atlanta can knock them out for us come playoff time. We just have no answer for them.
play2win
11 years ago

We really are more banged up than I imagined.

Clay Matthews
Charles woodson
Des bishop
Dj smith
Nick perry
Sam shields

That's half our starters on D! Did you really expect walden and Moses to be able to get pressure? Our o-line also had no chance against that NY d-line. We match up terribly with the giants. We have to hope that Chicago, san Fran, new orleans, or atlanta can knock them out for us come playoff time. We just have no answer for them.

Originally Posted by: millertime 

I'm just throwing this out there, but did you see how many times the Giants OL were holding our pass rushers, without penalty? I saw quite a few, especially involving Moses. The kid was playing pretty well I thought. Looked like at least a half dozen times the Giants were -not- called for holding our players.

And, yes, I do expect Walden and Moses to get pressure on Eli, along with Worthy, Daniels, Pickett, Raji and Neal. Our front 7 played horribly, and they were being held frequently.
all_about_da_packers
11 years ago

We match up terribly with the giants. We have to hope that Chicago, san Fran, new orleans, or atlanta can knock them out for us come playoff time. We just have no answer for them.

Originally Posted by: millertime 

I'd like to add a correction to your post, millertime:

"We just have no answer for [any team that decides to play 2-deep safety with man coverage underneath]".

Frankly, it's astonishing that we still cannot find some solution to this coverage. Teams, when they generally play this, have success against us.

I'm at a loss to explain why we cannot figure this scheme out. Is McCarthy an idiot for not being able to utilize his vast array of talent (namely, Finley) to attack 1-on-1 mismatches underneath? Are the players (collection of O-line + RBs) really that crappy that they cannot run against only 6 or 7 men in the box? Obviously players are not winning 1-on-1 battles, but this seems to be the recurring theme whenever we struggle. I'm really interested in the "why do we struggle" seemingly any time teams scheme us in this specific way.

This is a recurring theme from last season: teams decide to get physical and play to take away our deep stuff, then we struggle. Frankly, after still not getting any feeling that some solution is imminent or the coaching staff has a workable counter-plan of attack, I'm about ready to say that this team (namely coaches) should be in panic mode about being 1-and-done in the playoffs again.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Porforis
11 years ago
To be fair, we haven't been getting much of any deep stuff this season. This game we got the intermediate stuff taken away by being dominated at the line and having our WRs jammed all over the place.
DarkaneRules
11 years ago
It is unfortunate to watch your team and know deep down that they are outmatched (mostly physically) in the conference. Offense and defense are both average with moments of good play but no consistency. Giants and 49ers have our number unfortunately.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
porky88
11 years ago
The Packers have been thoroughly defeated twice in the last four in half years. That's a remarkable fact. It just shows how competitive Green Bay's been with Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy. Both losses, however, were at the expense of the Giants.

There is a fundamental problem in matching up with them. They simply overpower Green Bay along the line of scrimmage and Eli does a good job of managing the clock. He ran the play clock down quite a bit in the first half. I’m sure Clay Matthews makes a difference, but the Packers are going to have to make fundamental changes to their game plan if these teams meet again. For starters, a short and precise passing game that centers on Jermichael Finley helps. In addition, the Giants would have difficulties guarding both Jennings and Cobb in the slot. The Packers should learn from this experience.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.