Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I don't remember any of Zach's articles being mentioned, but here's on I thought you folks might enjoy. Hey, cheer up, OL Coach says they will come out of this! I bet Aaron Rodgers is sleeping easy now.

GREEN BAY – James Campen told reporters Thursday afternoon that this week hasn’t been tough for him or his players.

But judging by how animated – and at one point, combative – the Green Bay Packers normally amiable offensive line coach was during the 10-minute interview session, that isn’t quite accurate.

It was the first time Campen had spoken since his group was dominated by the New York Giants last Sunday night. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers was sacked five times and, according to ESPN Stats & Information, was “under duress” on 17 of 33 dropbacks in the Giants’ 38-10 victory.

That performance led to criticism from fans and media alike, but Campen initially claimed this week was like any other.

“You get back to work,” Campen replied when asked how he and his players get over a poor performance. “My week has been good. You can sit there and dwell on it and let it eat you up. We all – and the players too – we went through it together and moved on yesterday (Wednesday) morning, put it behind us and working toward the Vikings.”

When asked specifically about the mistakes and the rough night his guys endured, the intensity in Campen’s voice picked up.

“Absolutely not,” Campen said of putting last week’s performance in the rearview mirror. “You have to dissect it, look at it, analyze it, see what happened, why it happened and make the corrections. Players and myself have to be accountable and you move on from it. But you certainly don’t brush it underneath the rug and say, ‘Aw, heck, it’s a bad day.’ Or, ‘Gee, whiz,’ or one of those deals. That’s a loser’s mentality. You have to identify it and make the corrections and move on.

“Any time that quarterback gets hit – it’s not just sacks, it’s a hit or a pressure – it’s a big deal. The quarterback has to be protected. We all know at times he’s not going to be and there’s going to be times he gets hit, but the frequency is too great. Yeah, it’s a big deal.”

Campen’s distaste for the questioning peaked when it was mentioned that the linemen may have had their pride wounded.

“Absolutely not,” Campen said. “That’s a ridiculous question, to be honest with you. Those guys have more pride than you can imagine. Those guys are true pros and they’re accountable for their actions, as everybody in this locker room is. So, absolutely not, there’s no such thing as wounded pride. Those guys are prideful men and they will have worked and displayed that time and time again and they will come out of this.”

How they come out of it will likely play the biggest role in how far the Packers are able to go this year, starting with Sunday’s game at Lambeau Field against the Minnesota Vikings. It hasn’t been pretty to this point for the offensive line, or the team’s pass protection as a whole. The Packers have given up 37 sacks on the season, second only to the 46 the Arizona Cardinals have surrendered. And Green Bay is on pace to allow 54 sacks, which would be the second most in team history.

Making things more difficult: There are no reinforcements coming from within. Starting right tackle Bryan Bulaga is out for the year with a hip injury and the team’s first round pick in 2011, tackle Derek Sherrod, is not recovered enough from a broken leg to come off the physically unable to perform list and will not play this year. Unless general manager Ted Thompson decides to bring in a veteran, Campen and the Packers will have to work with what they’ve got.

And Campen appears ready to do that, starting by his refusal to make excuses for guys at new positions, like T.J. Lang, who has been up-and-down in his two starts as Bulaga’s replacement at right tackle after spending a majority of the past year and a half starting at left guard.

“No, it’s not an excuse whatsoever,” Campen said of Lang’s limited experience at tackle. “I believe in T.J. And everyone believes in T.J. And T.J. believes in himself. And he would be the first guy to say that’s not an excuse. Whatever player goes out there and puts a helmet on is expected to play and start a game for us. That’s the way it is. Our job is to win and if you don’t win things happen. That would not be an excuse, nor would T.J. even use that as an excuse.”

Campen also said he “absolutely” believes Lang will continue to get better the more he plays the position.

But that’s not Campen’s only problem. The other side of the line also struggled against New York. New left guard Evan Dietrich-Smith failed to pick up a blitzing linebacker that led to one sack in the first half, and left tackle Marshall Newhouse had a rough night as well. Pro Football Focus, a site that charts every play of every game, charged Newhouse with allowing one sack, two quarterback hits and five quarterback pressures.

“Fundamentals,” Campen said of what went wrong for Newhouse. “He just got out of his fundamentals. When you watch it, as we do, go over and over he blocks him just fine. And he does a great job and then got out of his fundamental toolbox and things snowballed. Another learning situation for him and that’s what happened. Have to be fundamentally sound.”

On addressing those issues all Campen would say was, “we’ve corrected the things that happened with him. We wouldn’t want to give that away now, would we?”

Campen, who played in 61 games along the offensive line for the Packers in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, also did something he doesn’t usually like to do. He tried to draw on his experience as a player to help his guys.

“I don’t ever really talk too much about what I did because, let’s face it, every one of those guys in the room could kick the crap out of me,” Campen said. “I’m not even close to their talent level. But, there are times when you can say, ‘Look, I had an experience like this and this happened’ and they can draw from that and use it in a positive way and a corrective way.”

Zach Heilprin  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
Sorry Campen.. you have had more than enough time to get this right. Time to move on.. my firm opinion.

Maybe.. just maybe, some of the issue with this line is Campen's style of being passive.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
gbguy20
11 years ago
They may come out of this, but hopefully, he doesn't.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Sorry Campen.. you have had more than enough time to get this right. Time to move on.. my firm opinion.

Maybe.. just maybe, some of the issue with this line is Campen's style of being passive.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I strongly believe the talent is there at OL and that it is the coaching that is failing to maximize an exploit any talent they have.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

I strongly believe the talent is there at OL and that it is the coaching that is failing to maximize an exploit any talent they have.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That has been my belief from about 2008 on.. I know the talent is there, you see it at times. Consistency, fundamentals and communication seem to be the recurring issues regardless of the players along the front.

To me, that is coaching.

I did a search early this year.. the same comments have been regurgitated annually. Yet Mike McCarthy stays pat with Campen.. if anybody has some dirt on Mike McCarthy and leveraging it.. it has to be Campen. [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
olds70supreme
11 years ago
I absolutely hate this answer:

“Fundamentals,” Campen said of what went wrong for Newhouse. “He just got out of his fundamentals. When you watch it, as we do, go over and over he blocks him just fine. And he does a great job and then got out of his fundamental toolbox and things snowballed. Another learning situation for him and that’s what happened. Have to be fundamentally sound.”

If Newhouse (or anybody else on the line) has a breakdown in fundamentals on one series, it is your responsibility as coach to show them what they are doing wrong and how to fix it immediately, not during the next week's practice. If fundamentals were Newhouse's only problem than Campen certainly didn't do his job fixing them.

On the flip side, it sounds like he is at least fired up about this. When things are going bad, any change is likely to be better than the status quo.
blank
Pack93z
11 years ago
What do you want them to say? I am glad they are not talking, there isn't much that can be said to fix the issues. Only their play will show it upon the field, saying anything will probably just make it worse.

They should be pissed.. ass beating like that are against the law in most venues besides those of the octagon, boxing ring and football field.

Packers offensive linemen just say no to interviews 
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel Nov. 30, 2012

Green Bay - If you want to know how the Green Bay Packers' starting offensive line is doing this week, you'll have to ask someone other than the starting offensive line.

They're not talking.

Four of the five linemen have not been talking at all this week and the fifth, C Jeff Saturday, limited his comments to a reporter Thursday to a sentence or two as he walked out of the locker room. On Friday, he chatted with reporters but didn't do any interviews.

Clearly there was an organized effort not to speak with the media.

When asked if he could answer a question or two, guard Josh Sitton politely said, "I've got to get into the hot tub", and then walked out of the locker room.

Next up was LT Marshall Newhouse, who was asked for a minute of his time, and replied, "I'm going into the cold tub", and then walked away.

When RT T.J. Lang was asked whether he was talking, he said, "Nope."

Finally, when LG Evan Dietrich-Smith was asked if he had time for one question as he walked across the locker room, he kept on walking without replying.

Even when Bryan Bulaga, probably the most quotable member of the group, made his first appearance in the locker room Wednesday since being put on injured reserve with a hip injury, he politely declined an interview request. He was seated with the others at a table where the linemen usually play backgammon during the media open-locker room session.

After Sitton returned to the locker room Friday, he was asked if the line was boycotting the media. He said, "We're just focusing on this week."

It's not unusual for position groups under heavy criticism to respond with media boycotts. It has been a rarity in recent times in Green Bay, but over the years a group of players has been known to go silent over perceived media slights.

Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

What do you want them to say? I am glad they are not talking, there isn't much that can be said to fix the issues. Only their play will show it upon the field, saying anything will probably just make it worse.

They should be pissed.. ass beating like that are against the law in most venues besides those of the octagon, boxing ring and football field.

OHHHHHHHH man I love this! This, this sense of urgency coming from everyone. I smell a run, and this offensive line will run through everyone.
vikesrule
11 years ago

What do you want them to say?

Agreed, what can they say, other than "We suck".

Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Agreed, what can they say, other than "We suck".

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

Vikings fans are used to saying that. Hence why so many Packers fan men marry Vikings fan women. They've been raised on how to suck.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (2h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (17h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (17h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.