nerdmann
11 years ago
JSO 

Against a dangerous Vikings front four, Barclay held his own. Both Rodgers and McCarthy said that the offense didn't need to do anything differently in the second half with the undrafted rookie in the game. McCarthy said he didn't need to dull down his playcalling.

"There’s no surprise for me to see him play, especially as physical," McCarthy said. "He’s a physical guy, he’s a tough guy. He’s what you’re looking for as far as your right tackle, as far as your attitude and he gave us a chance to just keep playing today, and that’s all you ever ask for out of a young rookie when he comes in."

Barclay did get some occasional help from a back or tight end and managed to keep Brian Robison (two tackles, no sacks) at bay. In the run game, Barclay swung wide and cut off outside linebacker Erin Henderson on James Starks' 22-yard touchdown run.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
doddpower
11 years ago

I concur. Barclay had a decent game but he did have help on frequent plays. The holding penalty was half on AR. Barclay had to do something when Rodgers ran past both of them.
And a whiff is a whiff. It doesn't matter that it worked out well and Starks got the TD. It was no thanks to Barclay. It is similar to a db who is out of position and makes gets a pick because the pass in off target and the receiver tips it.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I disagree on the whiff. Had Barclay not been there, there's not way the defender shoots inside like that. Yes, it probably didn't matter if it had been Barclay or anyone else, but the fact of the matter is that the presence of Barclay made the defender make a decision, and it was one that benefited the Packers. The end kind of justifies the means here. If the defender made the right cut and blew up the play, it'd be a different story, but he didn't. Barclay didn't actually block him, but that guy didn't make the play, so the end result is the same. That one play doesn't concern me at all. It's easy to miss quicker defenders in space. Sometimes it's best to just get in the way or be in the right place and the right time, and in this case, Barclay was.

The main concern should still be his pass protection, as it wasn't great. His run blocking was pretty good. I thought his pass blocking was no worse than Lang's at RT, and perhaps a little better. That's a good thing. Perhaps Lang can move back inside, and then we can give the right side help most of the time, and as a result, perhaps the entire line would be better. Time will tell. I thought Lang was pretty bad at RT, honestly.
DarkaneRules
11 years ago
We still looked look below average overall on the line but when he came into the game it looked more physical on that side. That was nice to see. Rodgers was under seize.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
porky88
11 years ago
Barclay definitely received help from John Kuhn and Jermichael Finley, despite what they‘re suggesting. I don't care what players or coaches say in public. It's like politicians. They're just trying to get through the question. In this case, Rodgers is boosting morale.

With the said, I do believe the best solution is keeping Barclay at right tackle and moving T.J. Lang (if he's healthy) back to guard. EDS gets no push and Lang is more physical inside than outside. I think the lack of physicality is the problem. I want the most physical players out there, whether they're experienced or not. Barclay > EDS in that regard.

Regarding Burnett, he‘s a benefactor from Christian Ponder‘s incompetence. I wouldn’t reward him a game ball either. I’d give them to Ponder actually. He was the difference in the game. A quality quarterback doesn’t throw the first one and completes the second one. I wasn’t encouraged by Burnett’s play against the run. Aikman pointed it out on the telecast, but I think Adrian Peterson flat out overwhelmed him.
doddpower
11 years ago
Who cares if they helped him? I often wonder why the Packers don't give their tackles more help. They need to do whatever it takes to give Rodgers some time. If all it takes to be mildly successful is Barclay starting with some help, than so be it. If Lang can come back to LG, than they should be able to give even more help on the right side. That's all about good coaching to me. There's always going to be a weakness. Do what it takes to cover up that weakness, especially when it's protecting the franchise in Aaron Rodgers.
nerdmann
11 years ago
Madison 

Don Barclay, an undrafted rookie free agent who had played one snap on offense, replaced Lang and more than held his own after a rocky start. Packers coach Mike McCarthy gave Barclay some blocking help early, then decided he didn’t need it. Barclay must have been doing something right because the Packers rushed for 152 yards, their second-highest total this season.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I wasn’t encouraged by Burnett’s play against the run. Aikman pointed it out on the telecast, but I think Adrian Peterson flat out overwhelmed him.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

That holds as much as weight as knocking someone for getting their jock juked by Barry Sanders. Far more in the league have that happen than not.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Barclay definitely received help from John Kuhn and Jermichael Finley, despite what they‘re suggesting. I don't care what players or coaches say in public. It's like politicians. They're just trying to get through the question. In this case, Rodgers is boosting morale.

With the said, I do believe the best solution is keeping Barclay at right tackle and moving T.J. Lang (if he's healthy) back to guard. EDS gets no push and Lang is more physical inside than outside. I think the lack of physicality is the problem. I want the most physical players out there, whether they're experienced or not. Barclay > EDS in that regard.

Regarding Burnett, he‘s a benefactor from Christian Ponder‘s incompetence. I wouldn’t reward him a game ball either. I’d give them to Ponder actually. He was the difference in the game. A quality quarterback doesn’t throw the first one and completes the second one. I wasn’t encouraged by Burnett’s play against the run. Aikman pointed it out on the telecast, but I think Adrian Peterson flat out overwhelmed him.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Yes. Thank you Christian Ponder. May the Vikings keep Christian Ponder as their starting QB for the next ten years. [grin1]
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I disagree on the whiff. Had Barclay not been there, there's not way the defender shoots inside like that. Yes, it probably didn't matter if it had been Barclay or anyone else, but the fact of the matter is that the presence of Barclay made the defender make a decision, and it was one that benefited the Packers. The end kind of justifies the means here. If the defender made the right cut and blew up the play, it'd be a different story, but he didn't. Barclay didn't actually block him, but that guy didn't make the play, so the end result is the same. That one play doesn't concern me at all. It's easy to miss quicker defenders in space. Sometimes it's best to just get in the way or be in the right place and the right time, and in this case, Barclay was.

The main concern should still be his pass protection, as it wasn't great. His run blocking was pretty good. I thought his pass blocking was no worse than Lang's at RT, and perhaps a little better. That's a good thing. Perhaps Lang can move back inside, and then we can give the right side help most of the time, and as a result, perhaps the entire line would be better. Time will tell. I thought Lang was pretty bad at RT, honestly.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

That makes no sense. Being the RT he has to be SOMEWHERE. Just being there doesn't count for anything. He has to do something. Just because the defender had a 50-50 chance and chose wrong is not a credit to Barclay.

I am happy with the end result but there is no attaboy for Barclay for simply standing there then trying to engage the defender but missing him completely as the play unfolded.
UserPostedImage
musccy
11 years ago

That makes no sense. Being the RT he has to be SOMEWHERE. Just being there doesn't count for anything. He has to do something. Just because the defender had a 50-50 chance and chose wrong is not a credit to Barclay.

I am happy with the end result but there is no attaboy for Barclay for simply standing there then trying to engage the defender but missing him completely as the play unfolded.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Exactly, Aikman was trying to give him credit, but he basically "pulled a Homer."

Considering the circumstances, I thought he did a decent job and he showed some reasons to be optomistic about him on the right end especially in the run game, but his play was still far from "game ball worthy."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.