warhawk
11 years ago
It seems to me I was hearing alot about wanting to run the ball better and be more balanced and now that they are getting that people want the big play offense back. C'mon guys. You don't get it both ways.
Teams have chosen to take the big play offense away with two safeties playing deep. We see it every week now. So the alternative is to run the ball and fortunately that has been going well. This does not, however, provide an opportunity to put up big numbers.

It's all about the playoffs now and if we secure home field the run game becomes a huge part of being able to win. If we can run as effectively or nearly as well as our opponents Rodgers will take care of the rest.

Besides, how many games have we had the whole receiving group on the field together? Not many. So with Jordy back and Jennings playing again I can see Rodgers really putting the ball all over the place again. Something we haven't seen much of this year.
"The train is leaving the station."
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

The Chicago Bears placed kicker Robbie Gould on the injured reserve list with a season-ending calf muscle injury Tuesday and signed veteran kicker Olindo Mare.

Mare won a tryout Tuesday morning at Halas Hall, which included Billy Cundiff and Neil Rackers. All three kickers performed well, according to a source.

Mare, 39, kicked for the Carolina Panthers last season. He also has played for the Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints and spent 10 seasons with the Miami Dolphins. Mare has made 81.2 percent of his field goal attempts in his career and was 22-for-28 last season, when he also kicked 53 touchbacks for the Panthers.

Tribune 

more moves

Gould wasn’t the only player to land on injured reserve. Safety Craig Steltz (chest) and cornerback Sherrick McManis (knee) were also placed on IR, dealing a blow to special teams depth. The Bears promoted wide receiver Joe Anderson from the practice squad to the 53-man roster and signed linebacker Jerry Franklin off the practice squad of the Dallas Cowboys.

edit
rotoworld's take on it. 

Steltz was a backup safety and the team's seventh defensive back while McManis was purely a special teamer. Both players are under contract at a cheap rate for the 2013 season. Dec 11 - 2:08 PM

roto 

Mare, who will be 40 in June, beat out Neil Rackers and Billy Cundiff at a Tuesday tryout. He replaces Robbie Gould, who pulled a calf muscle while warming up for last week's game against the Vikings. Mare was last seen in Carolina during training camp, where he lost the placekicking gig to Justin Medlock. Mare went just 6-of-9 on field goals from 30-39 yards out with the Panthers in 2011, costing them at least two wins. Dec 11 - 1:21 PM

UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

It seems to me I was hearing alot about wanting to run the ball better and be more balanced and now that they are getting that people want the big play offense back. C'mon guys. You don't get it both ways.
Teams have chosen to take the big play offense away with two safeties playing deep. We see it every week now. So the alternative is to run the ball and fortunately that has been going well. This does not, however, provide an opportunity to put up big numbers.

It's all about the playoffs now and if we secure home field the run game becomes a huge part of being able to win. If we can run as effectively or nearly as well as our opponents Rodgers will take care of the rest.

Besides, how many games have we had the whole receiving group on the field together? Not many. So with Jordy back and Jennings playing again I can see Rodgers really putting the ball all over the place again. Something we haven't seen much of this year.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Agreed. And, this team is not complaining. Like Mike McCarthy said, "throw the stats out the door". Our passing game will improve heading to the playoffs now that we found a spark in the running game. Teams will start bringing safties down in the box, and those plays will be there.
doddpower
11 years ago

Unless one's team is the New England Patriots. They have been able to run the ball well and still have many big plays. It's certainly possible, as a good running game can set up huge play action passes, which Aaron Rodgers loves (probably a little too much, as I feel he isn't patient enough at times).
play2win
11 years ago
Wow wpr. Thank you for the news. Gould being out is a major loss for CHI. Major.
Yerko
11 years ago
Simply put...stop Brandon Marshall, stop the Bears offense.

Cutler- 213 completions for 2,495 yards and 16 touchdowns
Marshall- 101 receptions for 1,342 yards and 9 touchdowns (we'll say 8 since 1 was from Campbell vs SF)

Completions- 47% to Marshall
Yards- 54% is Marshall
Touchdowns- 50% is Marshall

Last game vs Vikings
Cutler- 32 pass attempts
Marshall- 19 targets
59% of pass attempts to Marshall

Of course, I didn't have to post any of these numbers to show any of you that Brandon Marshall is all Cutler has and looks at but I thought what the hell. I thought the completion % would be a bit higher to Marshall but it is still pretty close to 50%.

With the way Tramon played Marshall last time (2 receptions for 24 yards, 0 TD) and the way he played Megatron this past week, I think the Packers defense overall dominates the Bears offense with the return of our starters. Matthews, Woodson, and Wilson being back is HUGE for this defense.

No Urlacher for the Bears will be big for us as well. Urlacher has always played well against the Packers and with him missing, their run defense is hurt. This will open up a lot of opportunities for our offense.

Packers by 10.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

That and exploit it with TEs up the seam.

If THAT could really happen.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Simply put...stop Brandon Marshall, stop the Bears offense.

Cutler- 213 completions for 2,495 yards and 16 touchdowns
Marshall- 101 receptions for 1,342 yards and 9 touchdowns (we'll say 8 since 1 was from Campbell vs SF)

Completions- 47% to Marshall
Yards- 54% is Marshall
Touchdowns- 50% is Marshall

Last game vs Vikings
Cutler- 32 pass attempts
Marshall- 19 targets
59% of pass attempts to Marshall

Of course, I didn't have to post any of these numbers to show any of you that Brandon Marshall is all Cutler has and looks at but I thought what the hell. I thought the completion % would be a bit higher to Marshall but it is still pretty close to 50%.

With the way Tramon played Marshall last time (2 receptions for 24 yards, 0 TD) and the way he played Megatron this past week, I think the Packers defense overall dominates the Bears offense with the return of our starters. Matthews, Woodson, and Wilson being back is HUGE for this defense.

No Urlacher for the Bears will be big for us as well. Urlacher has always played well against the Packers and with him missing, their run defense is hurt. This will open up a lot of opportunities for our offense.

Packers by 10.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

thanks for the break down yerko. as you said we know that Marshall is the one to shut down but it is good to see the numbers.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago
Is Tim Jennings still out, as well? He is their best pure cover corner, imo. Losing him is a huge loss.
play2win
11 years ago

Is Tim Jennings still out, as well? He is their best pure cover corner, imo. Losing him is a huge loss.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

dodd, I think he would be hard pressed to play after a shoulder separation 2 weeks ago.

"MINNEAPOLIS -- Bears cornerback Tim Jennings said after the Bears' 21-14 loss against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday that he's recovering from a dislocated right shoulder.
Jennings injured his shoulder last week in the Bears' loss against the Seattle Seahawks, making a tackle late in the fourth quarter. He missed every practice before the Vikings game, but was officially ruled out on Friday.
Jennings, though, said he always hoped that he might be able to play against the Vikings. Veteran Kelvin Hayden started in his place.
"I always think there is a chance," said Jennings, who leads the NFL with eight interceptions. "Later in the week, it was getting better each and every day, but the coaches decided to let it heal, which is smart because I still have a little soreness in there."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/12/tim_jennings_recovering_from_d.html 

I agree, his is as big a loss as Urlachrr or Gould. CHI has been through a rough two weeks.