Pack93z
11 years ago

Not exactly true, and irrelevant on this topic. The Commish does not make these rules changes.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Who has stated that he makes the rule changes?

The point here is the he is using his position of the commissioner to be nothing more than a PR mouthpiece for the owners.

Hence, if he wants his name to be linked with such topics, it is natural that he will be assigned public perception of blame or praise for it.

Why bring something to light, that hasn't been discussed for some time, that could be and should be left for discussion with the union (ad hoc players) as it is part of the CBA before discussing or pushing it publicly. All this is going to do is continue to create space between the owners and players, which is not in the best of the league.

And there lies the overall problem, his job is to conduct business that is in the best interest of the entire league.. all entities. And honestly that is where he is failing.. a walking contradiction of statements, many of which should be ran through the channels well before publicly pressing an issue.

Now granted, some of that is to gauge public/fan/media interest and feedback, but it also costs in terms of relationships with specific entities of the league. His failing so to speak.

For the record, the 2006 version of the bylaws for reference of the scope of duties of the commissioner for those that might want to review.. see page 28 of the linked document. [grin1]  NFL Bylaws.pdf You have insufficient rights to see the content.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Not exactly true, and irrelevant on this topic. The Commish does not make these rules changes.

The changes are made by the Owners, however, the commissioner presents many possible solutions or changes. Therefore the commissioner is NOT absolved of accountability in HIS outlandish suggestions that are made public.

There is no mistake about it, he, the commissioner wants to put HIS stamp on the NFL and changes.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

Who has stated that he makes the rule changes?

The point here is the he is using his position of the commissioner to be nothing more than a PR mouthpiece for the owners.

Hence, if he wants his name to be linked with such topics, it is natural that he will be assigned public perception of blame or praise for it.

Why bring something to light, that hasn't been discussed for some time, that could be and should be left for discussion with the union (ad hoc players) as it is part of the CBA before discussing or pushing it publicly. All this is going to do is continue to create space between the owners and players, which is not in the best of the league.

And there lies the overall problem, his job is to conduct business that is in the best interest of the entire league.. all entities. And honestly that is where he is failing.. a walking contradiction of statements, many of which should be ran through the channels well before publicly pressing an issue.

Now granted, some of that is to gauge public/fan/media interest and feedback, but it also costs in terms of relationships with specific entities of the league. His failing so to speak.

BTW.. if you want the full scope of the Commish's duties and length of control.. see page 28 of the linked document. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Almost everybody blames him for rule changes. It is always, goodell is taking the hits out of the game, goodell is making it flag football. Goodell is protecting QB's, goodell is making it a passing league. Look at the title of this thread. Goodell thinking of extending playoffs. It is not him thinking it, it is the league, the owners. Sure he could come out and not say anything about what was discussed, but then, when the decisions were finished, he would have to stand up and announce This is what was done, and he would be criticized just as much for protecting the owners and league by keeping it all quiet.

Goodell is damned if he does damned if he don't.

And they can do it without approval of the NFLPA. the cba says the players need to approve expansion of the regular season. But everything is covered for the playoffs as long as they don't add weeks. Wildcard, division, conference. They can add two wildcard games, and the player can do nothing about it. But again, that is the Owners, the league. Got Goodell, he may agree or not, but it isn't his decision.

It is said it comes with the job, but that doesn't make it right. I myself understand that while he is the face, the choices are most always not his. the only ones that have really been his, has been the level of fines, and punishment.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Pack93z
11 years ago
Okay.. yes the thread title is bouncing it.

But I concur with your statement of facts, but it is not perception.

Now, on the fines and hits being fined. The rule is no helmet to helmet contact, but it is under his watch that they are inconsistently enforcing that rule. It is under his watch that they are determining which hits are being subject to discipline, including the threat of suspension to Ed Reed early this season.

So no, he cannot be absolved of that, while he might not be directly associated with the rulings.. it is upon his watch with input decided by partially of people appointed by him.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
PackFanWithTwins wants to wrap Roger Goodell in bubble wrap and protect him from everything! RG can do no wrong!!! Blame someone else!!!

Disgusting!

I bet if he were to get a parking ticket PackFanWithTwins would blame the Owners for that too!

The NFL is making their game flag football, not one person and no one has said much otherwise.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

Okay.. yes the thread title is bouncing it.

But I concur with your statement of facts, but it is not perception.

Now, on the fines and hits being fined. The rule is no helmet to helmet contact, but it is under his watch that they are inconsistently enforcing that rule. It is under his watch that they are determining which hits are being subject to discipline, including the threat of suspension to Ed Reed early this season.

So no, he cannot be absolved of that, while he might not be directly associated with the rulings.. it is upon his watch with input decided by partially of people appointed by him.

Which is why I have stated that I have and will continue to criticize him for how he has been punishing. I can't blame goodell for the defenseless player rule being created, but I can for how he has enforced and punished for it.

Can't blame Goodell for the owners locking out the refs. But I can blame him for how unprepared and bad the replacement officials were.

And can't blame Goodell for the owners talking about expanding the playoffs.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Pack93z
11 years ago

And can't blame Goodell for the owners talking about expanding the playoffs.

Agreed... but we can blame him for taking it public, thus subjecting himself (really is name) to public scrutiny. And basically causing more friction amongst the entities he is suppose to be representing.
Porforis
11 years ago

Agreed... but we can blame him for taking it public, thus subjecting himself (really is name) to public scrutiny. And basically causing more friction amongst the entities he is suppose to be representing.

For all you know, he knows it's a terrible idea and is making it public before it gains any significant traction amongst the owners precisely because he knows it will get a negative reaction.
Pack93z
11 years ago

For all you know, he knows it's a terrible idea and is making it public before it gains any significant traction amongst the owners precisely because he knows it will get a negative reaction.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Agreed.. but then he is taking the sword of criticism. But isn't that still being a shill for the owners and taking away from what should be an exciting time (verge of the playoffs) for the league?

But you are correct, he could be the "hero" we the fans deserve and just destroying his legacy in the process.

I just don't think he would take that approach in a week in which he basically was overturned by PT.. and his "credibility" with the players is at an low point.
Formo
11 years ago

The contradictions that are the Commish.

Player safety and reducing the impacts of hits is vital to the game.

vs.

Lets add more games, thus more hits along the way, to the league.

It isn't about fan value, it isn't that the fans are screaming we need more. It is the concept that the owners think they can squeeze more green blood from the stone.

Never mind they are neutering the game in the process of the current slate of games. Creating rule to promote more scoring; and when the defenses adjust.. add more layers of rules to promote scoring. Making the hit zone an unrealistic target more and more by the week because they are getting bent over backwards in litigation.

Yet, adding more games to the slate seems to be the importance?

Reality is... the owners know they are going to get spanked in court very soon and don't want a dip in the bottom line of their cash flow, so why not take more off the backs of fans and the TV networks.

Don't be fooled my friend. He, nor the NFL, are TRULY concerned about player safety and reducing vicious hits. They are concerned about implementing rules, regulations, and penalties so that they will be absolved from any cases in the courts. One can't sue the NFL for trying to cover up knowledge that football is a dangerous sport if the NFL implements all these rules and regulations to the game (successfully changing it on a nearly fundamental level).

Oh, wait.. You just said that.. =)

That aside.. I actually like the idea of more playoff games. But only if they expand the league by at least 2 more teams (preferably 4)
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
41m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.