wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
Saturday's agent is just being an agent but really. 🤐

No one can blame the fans for Jeff Saturday’s surprising selection to the NFC Pro Bowl team.

The Green Bay Packers’ center was one of three Packers players voted to the NFC team, along with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and outside linebacker Clay Matthews. Rodgers is a starter, Matthews and Saturday are backups.

This is the sixth time Saturday has made the Pro Bowl in his decorated 14-year career, but the 37-year-old’s inclusion this season was a major surprise, because just last week he lost his starting job to Evan Dietrich-Smith.

Saturday led the fans’ voting at center, but that counts only one-third overall in determining Pro Bowlers. The other thirds are the voting by players and coaches. So Saturday had enough votes from those other two groups to finish second at center in the NFC, behind only Seattle’s Max Unger.

Fan voting closed early last week, and players and coaches voted late last week, so both groups had 14 games on which to base their votes. Ralph Cindrich, Saturday’s agent, offered a spirited defense of his client going to the Pro Bowl after the Packers signed him as a free agent in the offseason.

“When (the Packers) brought him in, they knew at 37 and his weight, he wasn’t going to blow guys out of the hole,” Cindrich said. “He was going to call your audibles on the line, he was going to keep your offense going, he was going to keep the camaraderie and everything else. It’s like saying the president, does he really deserve to be president? Well, you voted him in, that’s the process. So, hell yes he deserves to be in (the Pro Bowl). That’s me saying it.”

link to rest of story 

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
PFT 

“I am disappointed for Josh Sitton; I think he should be there. It is disappointing for me, for him. I would love to be able to pass it to him. He is a tough player and has played very well all season. I respect the heck out of the way he has played and it has been fun to play next to him.”

Wow, what a team mate. This dude gives seminars on manliness. You can really see his character in how he conducts himself.

Dude gets demoted from the starting position. Does he bitch about it? NO. He goes in the newspaper calling it a "passing of the torch."

Dude gets voted to the Pro Bowl. Does he get all defensive about how much he deserves it? NO. He gives props to his deserving team mate, putting his name out there, so that fans and others will take a look at him next time. "If Saturday says he deserves it, he must be pretty good, right?"

Great veteran leader. See that Finley?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Indeed. If non-players were nominatable, Barack Obama would be starting at QB and Joe Biden would be a WR alternate.

Holy cow, I just came up with a much better idea than the Pro Bowl. Politibowl. Parties are on different teams. I'd watch it.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

As long as you:
1. Ban helmets.
2. Allow full bump-and-run coverage and any Deacon Jones, Ray Nitschke, or Dick Butkus defensive move.

Think of the pay-per-view monies you could make. It would put a serious dent in the annual government deficit, too.

(Out of deference to DakotaT, assault weapons will not be allowed anywhere in the stadium, however.)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

We all suspected the Pro Bowl had some serious problems, but now it has been confirmed.

The voting process is flawed and must be fixed, and the game itself should be eliminated.

Nothing against Green Bay Packers center Jeff Saturday, who is a stand-up guy with an impressive NFL career resume, but he deserves a Pro Bowl berth this season about as much as I deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

Saturday was one of three Packers named to the NFC team on Wednesday along with Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews.

Although Saturday served as an adequate stopgap in the middle of the Packers’ offense for 14 games, it turns out he isn’t even the best center on the roster, since he was benched in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith last week.

For a six-time Pro Bowl player and 14-year veteran like Saturday, his Pro Bowl invitation is based more on popularity than performance. How else can you explain Saturday getting more votes than any other NFC center among fans, who account for one-third of the selection process?

There is nothing wrong with recognizing the best NFL players at each position, which is what the Pro Bowl is supposed to accomplish, but there has to be a better way to compile that list.

As for the game, held on the Sunday before the Super Bowl in Hawaii, it has degenerated into an embarrassing spectacle in which players go through the motions and attempt to avoid injuries.

“They have to do something about it, I think everyone is in agreement about that,” said Packers coach Mike McCarthy, a two-time NFC Pro Bowl head coach. “I had the opportunity to coach it last year and coaching it after the ’07 season, there’s clearly a drop-off in the game-day performance. It’s definitely an issue and there’s something that needs to be done. I don’t know what the answer is. I don’t even know what the options are.”

The best option is to end this charade and not play the game at all. The NFL can and should continue to honor the best players — assuming it devises a better selection method — but there’s no good reason to stage an utterly meaningless game.

Just because the Pro Bowl draws higher TV ratings than the Major League Baseball All-Star Game isn’t a good reason to keep it going.

The NFL wisely exterminated the College All-Star Game decades ago and did the same with the Playoff Bowl that pitted first-round postseason losers in a less-than-epic consolation game.

It’s time for the Pro Bowl to get tossed on that scrap heap of ill-conceived, manufactured NFL events.

rest 

I stopped voting for all the professional All Star teams in sports a few years ago. I stopped watching the PB at least 10 years ago. I don't miss it at all.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
The problem is players, fans and sports writers are all biased, positively and negatively. So it will never be perfect. But only the players and coaches voting would most likely be the most accurate.

As far as the game - it's a joke. There's no effort, and why should there be. Back in the day the extra money from winning really meant something to the players. But now it's like telling a centa-millionaire you'll give him give him a buck to pick up a six pack of beer. Also, players don't want to risk injury with that type of money on the line for their careers. I think everyone would be better served to just have a presentation banquet.

The HOF has somewhat gone this wayward also...see my sig.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

The problem is players, fans and sports writers are all biased, positively and negatively. So it will never be perfect. But only the players and coaches voting would most likely be the most accurate.

As far as the game - it's a joke. There's no effort, and why should there be. Back in the day the extra money from winning really meant something to the players. But now it's like telling a centa-millionaire you'll give him give him a buck to pick up a six pack of beer. Also, players don't want to risk injury with that type of money on the line for their careers. I think everyone would be better served to just have a presentation banquet.

The HOF has somewhat gone this wayward also...see my sig.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

players are not any better when it comes to voting than the fans.

most of them don't want to be bothered. they do the voting after practice. they are in a hurry to get out of there. some of the guys ask who did the fans pick and they then pick the same guy.

I doubt coaches put in a lot more effort. none of the coaches seems to talk about it.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
Point taken, but at least the players and coaches are more knowledgeable even though we as fans don't think so. You mean they can't go home until they vote?
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
The Pro-Bowl should be eliminated, but the voting should go on.
Players should still be able to win the award and say they were a pro-bowl caliber player for that year.

Instead of making them play a game, just give them a Hawaiian vacation and have them do appearances for the week.

The game has become a joke, hell by the time most high profile players back out, the game consists of middle of the road players anyway.

Not to get off the topic but here is a little advice for the younger posters out there, those who have not committed to a long time relationship.

If you ever find yourself watching a game with a young lady who you think might be the one, and she asks you "if #12 is such a good bowler, why does he play football?"

You know then and there that everything might be fine now, but sooner or later you will have to move on.

:-k 🤔 🤔
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
Just shows how good EDS is. He beat out a Pro-Bowler.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Point taken, but at least the players and coaches are more knowledgeable even though we as fans don't think so. You mean they can't go home until they vote?

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

It has been a year since I read anything on the players voting process. As I understand it on a specific day the player rep brings out the ballots. They vote. They have to turn them in that same day.

Keep in mind too the players also vote for old teammates and friends as well.

It is not as if players spend a lot of time watching tape on all the other players in the league. Defensive players watch the offensive players they are going to face. CM3 may not know a lot about DBs Oakland. Jody doesn't watch the OL for Jets. So they usually ask other players who to vote for.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.