Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Too bad they can't fine/reduce salary of a player by 10,000 per missed tackle.

Say what you want about the dear departed Be*r coach, but his players consistently tackle well.

Or perhaps we could whoever the LB/DB coaches are for the 49ers as a DC.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

Look at the "Prevent" cover 2 called by Capers. You'll find it in the highlights section of NFL Videos. Seriously, go watch it.

EVERY Vikings' receiver that releases across the first-down marker has 2 defenders around him - 1 behind and 1 (at least slightly) in front. Everyone, of course, except the player that Casey Hayward forgot to cover.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

Sometimes that's all it takes. You can give credit to ponder for finding that broken coverage. It was acutally a great play call by capers. If Hayward knows to play out of the slot on that play and continues up the field this could of been a different game.

FIRE CAPERS' ASS FOR PLAYING ROOKIES!!!!111!!

Um.... Does and has he had no choice? Seriously look at our roster and the injuries that has transpired over the year. Pretty much a given. Yes sometimes like oldness, young players can hurt your team. But blaming the defensive coordinator for playing with what he has is not a good excuse to fire his ass.
dfosterf
11 years ago

Sometimes that's all it takes. You can give credit to ponder for finding that broken coverage. It was acutally a great play call by capers. If Hayward knows to play out of the slot on that play and continues up the field this could of been a different game.

Um.... Does and has he had no choice? Seriously look at our roster and the injuries that has transpired over the year. Pretty much a given. Yes sometimes like oldness, young players can hurt your team. But blaming the defensive coordinator for playing with what he has is not a good excuse to fire his ass.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

He was being sarcastic against me, Gaycandybacon.
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

He was being sarcastic against me, Gaycandybacon.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Had a feeling.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

The man made Christian Ponder look all-world. Who's in charge out there? AD had over 400 yards in two games. We have constant tackling issues.

We will go nowhere in the playoffs if his defense continues to play like this. It is just such a tragic waste when I watch Aaron Rodgers play this game as he does. I take the whole picture in, and I still believe he is UNDERRATED, due to the failings of our line, our running game (moderately optimistic on that one) and Dom and his (imo) failings (imo) in scheme at critical junctures.

When things are compressed with our asses over our goal-line, we actually look pretty good in a tough situation. I mean that comparatively to other "D's" as I know it's easier to defend when the field is shrunk (qualifying my statement) .

It may just be we have a lot of stupid motherfuckers, which I believe to be true, but that also must be taken into context as it seems many teams employ stupid motherfuckers.

So - imo - Dom should be fired for actually thinking at critical junctures that he is not employing stupid motherfuckers on that given play. If they would just announce that as the reason for possibly putting his job in question, I'd be good with that! 😝

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

AD is the best player in the NFL. 400 yards in 2 games is to be expected.

Now, getting lit up by Ponder? That's something to fire a man for.

I think the NFL has Dom figured out. He's been outsmarted too many times. I'd rather take my chances with a more aggressive DC.

Foster is right. We got talent back there. It's the coaching.

Dom has the Playoffs to prove me wrong. I hope he does. If Foster and I turn out to be right, I want him gone.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
11 years ago

AD is the best player in the NFL. 400 yards in 2 games is to be expected.

Now, getting lit up by Ponder? That's something to fire a man for.

I think the NFL has Dom figured out. He's been outsmarted too many times. I'd rather take my chances with a more aggressive DC.

Foster is right. We got talent back there. It's the coaching.

Dom has the Playoffs to prove me wrong. I hope he does. If Foster and I turn out to be right, I want him gone.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Promote Darren Perry?

I'm skeptical of Dom too. But keep in mind. He's not playing with starters out there. How much do you think we could have used a run stuffing OLB like Nick Perry yesterday? Dez Bishop has a history of stuffing Apete, causing fumbles too.

When it comes to having to succeed using smoke and mirrors, I'll take Dom Capers over many.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
all_about_da_packers
11 years ago
After having had a chance to watch film from this game, I'll say this: Dom Capers unquestionably had the right approach. That is to say, I do not know how someone could rationally critique the game plan he had.

Let's start with this first: if you do not know by now that Dom's strategy is to take away the run first - making the other team 1 dimensional - and then unleash his arsenal of blitzes, then you are missing the obvious. It's his modus opperandi. When you have a team with an all-world RB and a below-average QB, then that strategy seems to be a sound one to use; make the QB beat you after shutting down the run.

Capers schemed it exactly that way. I do not recall seeing at any other game this year the sheer disregard for maintaining gaps - when someone had Peterson stopped, the closest players left their gaps and assignments to come to him. It happened on more than a handful of occasions to be mere coincidence - the players were taught to do that at least this game. Now look at AD's runs. Most of them are him bouncing it to the outside and getting into the second level. Watch the highlight videos of his longest runs - they do not come straight up the middle. Firstly, credit the D-line for playing very well and causing Peterson to often bounce it to the outside. Note, secondly, that most of the players in the 2nd level (LBs/DBs) are either blocked or simply unable to capitalize on angles they have due to poor technique. What does this do? It forces everyone to be alert and focus on tackling the RB. Go back and check out how many times the CBs were playing off-man or simply giving 3-5 yards cushion to the WRs - they are essentially no names who no decent CB should be respecting. Of course, I presume our CBs were respecting All Day, not the WRs (Easier to shed blocks / take an angle to a runner when the WR reveals his intentions to block - and the WRs / TEs of the Vikings blocked pretty damn well last game). The fact that our CBs would often make it a point to look into the backfield after the ball snapped - hence, away from their responsibility - lends credence to my presumption.

Which bring me to my point: Our coverages fell apart not because of scheme, but because of our sheer inability to execute. More specifically, our DBs became an even greater liability precisely because they could not bring down Peterson. Instead of focusing in on their man, they started peeking into the backfield. That moment's hesitation often proved advantageous for the Vikings WRs. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the threat of Peterson is the precise reason that Hayward did not follow through on his zone coverage assignment. To the point: failed execution simply became our undoing. No amount of scheming, I think, can overcome terrible fundamentals / poor effort.

The fact that we could not stop Peterson really hurt our passing game because everyone had to account for the possibility that they had to alter what their responsibility was to try and make the tackle. This is what allowed Ponder to be so good - he was an afterthought, especially to our DBs.

What I'm trying to say is that I do not think Capers can be blamed for the poor defence. He had a sensible scheme in place. I don't even blame Capers for the failed execution / effort of our LBs and DBs. That's what position coaches are for - to teach their players fundamentals and demand performance. So, I'm not sure why anyone would reasonably have their faith shaken in Capers by this performance. His game planning was not wrong. Hell, the D-line did what he probably wanted - forcing Peterson outside and buying our guys in the 2nd level a bit more time to approach and tackle Peterson. Unfortunately, no other position group on D bothered to show up.

I really hope that the OLB, ILB, CB, and S position coaches all called out their starters because this was just an atrocious performance by those groups. If they are even half-way decent this week and win 1-on-1 battles, we should be in a good position to win the game.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

After having had a chance to watch film from this game, I'll say this: Dom Capers unquestionably had the right approach. That is to say, I do not know how someone could rationally critique the game plan he had.

Let's start with this first: if you do not know by now that Dom's strategy is to take away the run first - making the other team 1 dimensional - and then unleash his arsenal of blitzes, then you are missing the obvious. It's his modus opperandi. When you have a team with an all-world RB and a below-average QB, then that strategy seems to be a sound one to use; make the QB beat you after shutting down the run.

Capers schemed it exactly that way. I do not recall seeing at any other game this year the sheer disregard for maintaining gaps - when someone had Peterson stopped, the closest players left their gaps and assignments to come to him. It happened on more than a handful of occasions to be mere coincidence - the players were taught to do that at least this game. Now look at AD's runs. Most of them are him bouncing it to the outside and getting into the second level. Watch the highlight videos of his longest runs - they do not come straight up the middle. Firstly, credit the D-line for playing very well and causing Peterson to often bounce it to the outside. Note, secondly, that most of the players in the 2nd level (LBs/DBs) are either blocked or simply unable to capitalize on angles they have due to poor technique. What does this do? It forces everyone to be alert and focus on tackling the RB. Go back and check out how many times the CBs were playing off-man or simply giving 3-5 yards cushion to the WRs - they are essentially no names who no decent CB should be respecting. Of course, I presume our CBs were respecting All Day, not the WRs (Easier to shed blocks / take an angle to a runner when the WR reveals his intentions to block - and the WRs / TEs of the Vikings blocked pretty damn well last game). The fact that our CBs would often make it a point to look into the backfield after the ball snapped - hence, away from their responsibility - lends credence to my presumption.

Which bring me to my point: Our coverages fell apart not because of scheme, but because of our sheer inability to execute. More specifically, our DBs became an even greater liability precisely because they could not bring down Peterson. Instead of focusing in on their man, they started peeking into the backfield. That moment's hesitation often proved advantageous for the Vikings WRs. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the threat of Peterson is the precise reason that Hayward did not follow through on his zone coverage assignment. To the point: failed execution simply became our undoing. No amount of scheming, I think, can overcome terrible fundamentals / poor effort.

The fact that we could not stop Peterson really hurt our passing game because everyone had to account for the possibility that they had to alter what their responsibility was to try and make the tackle. This is what allowed Ponder to be so good - he was an afterthought, especially to our DBs.

What I'm trying to say is that I do not think Capers can be blamed for the poor defence. He had a sensible scheme in place. I don't even blame Capers for the failed execution / effort of our LBs and DBs. That's what position coaches are for - to teach their players fundamentals and demand performance. So, I'm not sure why anyone would reasonably have their faith shaken in Capers by this performance. His game planning was not wrong. Hell, the D-line did what he probably wanted - forcing Peterson outside and buying our guys in the 2nd level a bit more time to approach and tackle Peterson. Unfortunately, no other position group on D bothered to show up.

I really hope that the OLB, ILB, CB, and S position coaches all called out their starters because this was just an atrocious performance by those groups. If they are even half-way decent this week and win 1-on-1 battles, we should be in a good position to win the game.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

1 Million % agreed... I thought apart of the game we had Peterson. Our defense especially d-line was getting to the backfield. But our secondary and all the things you pointed out, pretty much shows how much we miss Woodson and his communication skills, his toughness, and his leadership. Can't wait to have him on the field and McMillian/Jennings off.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.