nerdmann
11 years ago

you can't blame Aaron Rodgers for wanting to take a shot down field when they were down and needed to score points. They vikings secondary was in a shambles so the opportunity was there.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You might want to burn clock and keep their RB off the field, no? Keep our defense off the field, and prevent them from wearing down?

Move the chains. Score points. Dominate time of possession.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
11 years ago

Carefully and slowly step back from the crack-pipe.

Without Aaron Rodgers' magnificent skills, the Green Bay Packers would be in the absolute basement of the NFL.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

If Mike McCarthy would have stayed in San Francisco, Alex Smith would be as good as Aaron Rodgers is right now. Aaron Rodgers would likely have been a bust.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

If Mike McCarthy would have stayed in San Francisco, Alex Smith would be as good as Aaron Rodgers is right now. Aaron Rodgers would likely have been a bust.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No. No. No. No. No. 🤐

Aaron Rodgers had and has a better skill set than Alex Smith. Sure blame the 6 or 7 Offensive Coordinators for him stinking up the niners for years, poor little Alex smith doesn't have anyone to hold his hand. No wonder he sucks. [sarcasm] I say if you need someone to make you better. You aren't a great player.

Not even 2 years under a 'QB coach' in Jim Harbaugh, and Smith gets benched for a rookie..

I don't like when coaches get more credit for the player than the player. Which I think is never the case. I think, even know people inspire you and coach you or what ever. You have to make yourself a better player, not someone else.

And there's is no one better than Aaron Rodgers at it. imo.
nerdmann
11 years ago

No. No. No. No. No. 🤐

Aaron Rodgers had and has a better skill set than Alex Smith. Sure blame the 6 or 7 Offensive Coordinators for him stinking up the niners for years, poor little Alex smith doesn't have anyone to hold his hand. No wonder he sucks. [sarcasm] I say if you need someone to make you better. You aren't a great player.

Not even 2 years under a 'QB coach' in Jim Harbaugh, and Smith gets benched for a rookie..

I don't like when coaches get more credit for the player than the player. Which I think is never the case. I think, even know people inspire you and coach you or what ever. You have to make yourself a better player, not someone else.

And there's is no one better than Aaron Rodgers at it. imo.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

You remember how Aaron looked in games, pre-McCarthy?

FACT: McCarthy picked Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

You remember how Aaron looked in games, pre-McCarthy?

FACT: McCarthy picked Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

OH YA I forgot!

he was on the bench....

and it was his rookie year.

I'm pretty sure it's not McCarthy who made him who is today. Sure it helped sitting behind a Great QB and that QB school. But that accuracy, that arm, his athleticism, and all of his preparation and intelligence week to week.
You can't teach none of that.

Listen to the guy on his radio show. Pretty remarkable the way he breaks down plays sometimes. He remembers everything that's going on the field. And I believe he is the best scanner of a field in the NFL.

You know why he's not looking for stuff underneath? 1. we're trying to win. 2. Well have you been introduced to this WR core? , and the difference between the talent of the WRs and RBs on our team? This is an attacking offense. Not some game manager offense.

I saw nothing wrong with Rodgers performance sunday. He put us in a situation to win. Our defense just couldn't do it's job.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

You might want to burn clock and keep their RB off the field, no? Keep our defense off the field, and prevent them from wearing down?

Move the chains. Score points. Dominate time of possession.

You are arguing two different issues.
1. You said Rodgers is a stat whore because he throws the deep ball when a player is open because he wants to get a lot of yardage into his stats.
2. Now you are saying he doesn't run the clock effectively.

They are two separate issues.

1. It makes no sense at all to check down to a short pass if you can see a receiver coming open further down field. It is stupid football to ignore him and throw a short pass for the sake of the clock. Why take 10 plays to move the ball the same number of yards against a struggling secondary that you can get in 3? The goal is to score not to see who can consume the most time. When you trail in a game the goal is to score as quick as you can. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE DOWN BY 2 OR MORE SCORES.
Taking 10 plays instead of 3 allows for more mistakes to occur. (Incompletions, interceptions, not getting the required yards for a first down and having the clock run out on you before you score.) Ultimately you move the ball the same number of yards. Nothing changes in Rodgers stats very much. He ends up with more attempts and completions. Maybe his completion percent is higher. Nothing you suggest makes him a stat whore. He ended up the year 8th in total yards. Not much of a stat whore.

2. Time of possession. It is the OC or HC that gives the QB the plays. Aaron Rodgers just works with what he has. If Mike was more concerned with the clock than scoring he would call more running plays. They could use up 2 min and not even get 10 yards. Big deal. He wants the ball in the endzone. Thus they pass the ball instead of running it. Sure Rodgers can audible to a run but MN secondary is weak. They had players come out of the game making them more susceptible to the pass. Why change to a run and burn clock when you can move 30 yards down field in a single play?

Ultimately Aaron is working with whatever the defense is giving him. If they put 8 men in the box he doesn't run he passes. If they go cover 2 with deep safeties he runs or throws short. If they pull the safeties up and have single coverage outside he is looking deep. Until you have studied film for hundreds of hours on the other team's tendencies and then stand behind the center and see what the defense doing you can't say jack. Watching the tv does not give you the whole story.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
11 years ago
Nerd, I could pick apart some of your spasticated statements bit by bit as others have already done. Instead I'll just remind you that we scored 34 points. 34. That should be enough to win any game. The offense wasn't the problem last Sunday. End of.
Born and bred a cheesehead
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Nerd, I could pick apart some of your spasticated statements bit by bit as others have already done. Instead I'll just remind you that we scored 34 points. 34. That should be enough to win any game. The offense wasn't the problem last Sunday. End of.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

This.

You score 34 points and you lose, the problem is the D didn't do enough. This alone should have won the game:

Rodgers 28 40 365 70.0 9.1 4 0 131.8

🇦🇷 doesn't deserve a fail. He deserves a medal.

The D gets the fail. The numbers don't lie. They made Christian Ponder look like Peyton Manning.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
11 years ago

This.

You score 34 points and you lose, the problem is the D didn't do enough. This alone should have won the game:

🇦🇷 doesn't deserve a fail. He deserves a medal.

The D gets the fail. The numbers don't lie. They made Christian Ponder look like Peyton Manning.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I'm not saying the D is free from shit suckage. Tramon Williams completely shit himself. I posted on that too.

This issue goes beyond this one game. It is an ongoing issue.
nerdmann
11 years ago

You are arguing two different issues.
1. You said Rodgers is a stat whore because he throws the deep ball when a player is open because he wants to get a lot of yardage into his stats.
2. Now you are saying he doesn't run the clock effectively.

They are two separate issues.

1. It makes no sense at all to check down to a short pass if you can see a receiver coming open further down field. It is stupid football to ignore him and throw a short pass for the sake of the clock. Why take 10 plays to move the ball the same number of yards against a struggling secondary that you can get in 3? The goal is to score not to see who can consume the most time. When you trail in a game the goal is to score as quick as you can. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE DOWN BY 2 OR MORE SCORES.
Taking 10 plays instead of 3 allows for more mistakes to occur. (Incompletions, interceptions, not getting the required yards for a first down and having the clock run out on you before you score.) Ultimately you move the ball the same number of yards. Nothing changes in Rodgers stats very much. He ends up with more attempts and completions. Maybe his completion percent is higher. Nothing you suggest makes him a stat whore. He ended up the year 8th in total yards. Not much of a stat whore.

2. Time of possession. It is the OC or HC that gives the QB the plays. Aaron Rodgers just works with what he has. If Mike was more concerned with the clock than scoring he would call more running plays. They could use up 2 min and not even get 10 yards. Big deal. He wants the ball in the endzone. Thus they pass the ball instead of running it. Sure Rodgers can audible to a run but MN secondary is weak. They had players come out of the game making them more susceptible to the pass. Why change to a run and burn clock when you can move 30 yards down field in a single play?

Ultimately Aaron is working with whatever the defense is giving him. If they put 8 men in the box he doesn't run he passes. If they go cover 2 with deep safeties he runs or throws short. If they pull the safeties up and have single coverage outside he is looking deep. Until you have studied film for hundreds of hours on the other team's tendencies and then stand behind the center and see what the defense doing you can't say jack. Watching the tv does not give you the whole story.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

If the person downfield was in fact, already open, then there would be no need to wait the extra 7 seconds to get the ball out, no?

And this is not Aaron's obsession alone. But Aaron and Mike are obsessed with obliterating Favre from the record books. THAT is why they abandon the run. THAT is why they throw deep constantly.

They know that Aaron is unlikely to play as long as Favre, so they need to break his records in a shorter amount of time.