Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Landmark-14-Piece-Block/dp/B004IUOTNM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top 

Also, is Chicago Cutlery any good?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
macbob
11 years ago
Formo-

My wife has a set of Chicago Cutlery. Ours is way older--they have wooden handles--we've had them for years. I like them and they've held up well.

I asked my wife and she says the Chicago Cutlery knives are not the ones she uses the most, though. She has replaced some of the Chicago Cutlery knives in her block with Victorinox, which she tried because they were highly rated by Cook's Magazine. She says Cooks rated them as high or higher than much more expensive knives. They have black fibrox handles (don't look as nice/fancy) but they are her favorite to cook/prepare food with.

Here's a couple of links with similar sets/knives:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-10-Piece-Cutlery/dp/B005LRYTA4/ref=sr_1_36?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357704140&sr=1-36&keywords=victorinox 

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-15-Piece-Cutlery/dp/B005LRYSOQ/ref=sr_1_32?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357704140&sr=1-32&keywords=victorinox 

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-22-Piece-Cutlery/dp/B005LRYS64/ref=sr_1_41?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357704140&sr=1-41&keywords=victorinox 

Don't know if this helps.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
11 years ago
Wow - funny enough I looked to see if they sold my wife's knives in the states (they make em here in the UK) - and they do err least they have a office here and in a suberb of racine none the less.

btw these are top quality knives - Im not a cook but my wife loves cooking and using good stuff to do it with. Ive used em and they work well - sharp sturdy strong etc ... not cheap shit.

She's got 4 of the knives pictured below -
http://www.robertwelch.com/Content.aspx?id=1108064 

any more questions ask away

Robert Welch Designs USA
US Office Enquiries
Products Available to US Market
Crate & Barrel Stores

Latest News
Signature range showcased in Chicago
Robert Welch opens US office

Robert Welch USA

US Office Enquiries

For all Robert Welch US business-to-business enquiries, please call our US customer sevice team on 262-504-4328 or email us.

Registered Address -
1860 Renaissance Blvd
Sturtevant
WI 53177
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Jeremy,

My first question would be "How into cooking is your wife?" If she's seriously into it, you might consider just buying one high-end knife.I've only bought one $50 knife in my life (one of my two Cutcos), though I dream of getting some of them, especially some of the really high end Japanese chef knives. But even in the $25-40 range I'm operating in, I generally only buy one at a time.

Amateur cooks tend to be an idiosyncratic lot. Some will use one kind of knife a lot, others won't use it hardly at all. Many like the classic French chef's knife; I've never had one. Some never use a Santoku, or use it only "as directed" for vegetables. I use mine as a utility knife for just about everything. So you might consider, even if she's not a cooking nut like zombieslayer or me, just getting her a block and one knife (best bets, in no particular order: slicer, carver, utility, Santoku, chef's, bread knife) plus a good paring knife and a set of steak knives. It'll look weird when you give her a block and only knives for a couple of its holes, but she knows which knives in her current collection she'll keep using even if she's got a brand new one that is "better".

One of the knives in my block must be between 50-75 years old by now (it may have been my late maternal grandmother's, who died before I was born.. Looks like crap, has been sharpened enough that its original shape is lost -- looks like something you'd pick up for a dime at a garage sale; yet just like my antique sand wedge (which *is* older than I am), for some tasks, its still the knife of choice.

A slicer (perhaps with a good "granny fork") if you eat lots of pork/beef roasts/hams. A chef's knife if she does a lot of prep; a Santoku (sp? Its a kind of knife, not a brand) if the prep involves lots of veggie cutting. High end = Wusthof, Henckels, some Japanese brand I can't remember (whatever the Japanese guy on Iron Chef uses). I don't own a single knife of any of these, so I'm going on reputation only. High end Victorionox probably, too.

Good bread slicers are amazing, and usually not as expensive as the other knives, whatever the price range.

Pay a lot of attention to handles and how they feel in the hand. Unibodies like those in the picture are fine. Don't buy any multi-piece handles unless they have a tang running entire length of the handle, preferably with three rivets, especially for the larger knives. Not only will the handles not hold up as well, but a company that stints on the handle probably is stinting on the blade as well.

Assuming you stay with the set idea...

1. I have a set of low end Victorionox steak knives. Ugly black handles, but very good knives. They are scary sharp. Based on them, I would expect other Victorionox knives to be very good. IMO, Victorionox makes good stuff. Easily the best "swiss army" knives (like the one I used to carry in pre-Patriot Act days). They also make fantastic luggage. High quality construction in everything they do. I don't think you'd go wrong here.

2. Chicago Cutlery is fine. IMO they used to be overrated, but they've improved quite a bit in recent years. Two of my everyday prep knives are Chicago Cutlery now....in fact, I got them pretty cheap at WalMart. And they have handles that are very similar to the ones in your picture, may be the same model. I don't think you'd go wrong here either. As with any maker, including or perhaps especially the Wusthofs and Henckeles, I'd avoid their cheapest line; but don't feel you have to go with their highest line either. The one looks

3. My carving and slicing knives are Cutco. (One of my former students, and a bit of a salesman, did a demo and I felt I had to buy a couple.) I like them a lot -- great (i.e. comfortable, full tang, three rivets) handles. Serrated, which if it hadn't been a student, would have been a no no for me.

Speaking of which, "serrated or not?" is a lively item of disagreement among we pretentious cooks. I'd never buy anything else for cutting bread, and I'd never buy one for anything else other than maybe slicing or carving. And, had it not been a student, I wouldn't buy one for a slicer either. But I love my serrated carving knife. But that's me. Others differ. Mostly IMO serrated/non-serrated is a matter of personal preference (discretely try to figure out where the wife is) and how much you're willing to pay to send your knives out for sharpening from time to time.

Because one thing is clear about good knives. There is no such thing as one that never needs sharpening. Merely ones that can be sharpened when they become dull and ones that cannot. Serrated knives are much harder to sharpen -- I wouldn't attempt to sharpen a cooking knife of any kind myself (other than the "touch up" sort of thing), but that's primarily because I'm lazy. Sharpening serrated knives, however, need a real expert.

Hope that helps.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks guys.

Wade, truth be told if I didn't get her a nice knife set this year, she wouldn't be mad, and she'd continue using our cheap Chicago Cutlery set we have now. EVERY blade in that set is serrated, and I hate it. Like you said, for bread slicing, it's fine. But carving the ham I made this past season for my co-workers sucked with the butcher knife because of the serrated edge. I wanted a full metal tang, but without the clunky look of wood/plastic handles w/ rivets. I tried looking for the set we currently have.. but it looks like on their website they don't even carry that low end stuff anymore. Because of my disdain for the current set we have, I wanted to avoid Chicago Cutlery, but in doing more research I found that I just simply bought their low end garbage.

Really, we both do the cooking.. She does most of the daily stuff (dinners/baking) and I do more of the complex or the hard cutting/slicing stuff (turkey/ham/etc). So, I'm buying not only for her but for me as well.. 😃

While it may be cheaper long-run to just buy one or two knives at a time, I really, really want to bite the bullet and get a whole set. I'm that tired of these current ones.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Then my first recco would be to check out the Victorionox (I haven't checked out what they have; I do know some of their luggage is really pricy, so the same may be true of their knives.). I'd trust their lowest tier, though. That's what my steak knives are, with el-cheapo plastic handles.

And if they're all serrated, look to Chi Cutlery again.

Wusthof, those others -- even "second cheapest" will probably hit you for 300-400 a blocked set...on sale.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.