VinceLambeauStarr
11 years ago
Hi all,

I have that sinking feeling that Aaron Rodgers will eat turf at least 3/4 times at the Stick.

For a long time, I haven't disputed coaching/personnel because I have no place to, considering out recent success. I do feel though, that this is Newhouse' final audition. If the general notion is "The Packers have their hands full with elite defenses that have premier pass-rushers" then it's only a matter of time before the trend is addressed.

Barclay, not so much. He has done well given the situation but I feel he will need help on Saturday.

I am never sure of anything game related, but for some reason have a feeling that the edge will be the ultimate deciding factor. The first 20 minutes will likely show if it's going to be a struggle, or if we can move the ball well.

Hopefully, we can find creative ways to assist either at any time. I feel they are going to need it.

UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
Pack93z
11 years ago
A couple of things..

1. Justin Smith will dictate much of how effective the pass rush is.. if he can't go.. it greatly reduces the effectiveness of their edge pressure. His absence has shown this.

2. I find it amusing that Marshall is continuously degraded even after he has shown himself to be reliable to the tune of 8 sacks in 647 snaps. Example for comparison.. Joe Staley of the Niners.. 8 sacks in 492 snaps. Staley is in the Pro Bowl. 🤔

* Per Pro Football Focus

I think Marshall gets chewed up on a fast track against speed when he has to really step out quickly and wide, but coaching should be able to help in those cases with a chip or via playcalling to slow that down. The games in which he got chewed up, notably Seattle, it was a poorly called game from MM. The Stick is basically a sandpit with green paint on it, this will help the offensive lineman verse the speed rush. Hedge the bets on the plodders.

3. To feel better about a kid after a handful of games than Newhouse, one in which he got his ass handed to him in MN, is curious. I like the grit of the kid, I really do, he stepped in and played after many thought the season was lost with Bulaga going down. Probably saved our season sort of like Wilkerson did in 96.

4. The Niners do not blitz much at all.. so if we can force them to blitz to get pressure.. Rodgers is going to eat them for lunch.

5. If the Packers can keep running and screening the ball, it will help the line out a great deal. at this point, my opinion is many are undervaluing the Packers running/screen game, if we vary this team off into their nickel (pulling Willis out of the line up) and can find success we are really going to gash this defense. The Patriots did that.. they played the game with the Niners defense making them guess a bit with Willis and Bowman.. and the Patriots rolled up a ton of yards and points on them. The Niners are a good team.. but they are not the 85 Bears. They can be spread out and exploited. And rendering their pass rush which is really only three players deep ineffective.  NinersPassRush.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
gbguy20
11 years ago
This seems like a good thread to share some offensive line stats:

profootballfocus may or may not change your opinions on some of our offensive linemen.  tackles.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  tackles2.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  centers.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  centers2.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  guards.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  guards2.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  olinePBE.PNG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Pack93z
11 years ago
The one area that I worry about this game is the physicality of the game at the line of scrimmage overall. The Niners are about as physical as it comes in the NFL of today.. can we match it on both sides of the line of scrimmage in the running game.

We have to smack them back in the mouth when they start to jab.. personally, again on the match up of our Oline vs their defensive line.. the key is Justin Smith. If he is effective, this is going to be a physical war. If he is not and the Packers can get to Willis and Bowman (my opinion has over taken Willis on this defense) that Packers win that matchup in running and passing.

It will be a test of wills on the other side.. can we stand toe to toe with their offensive line with a reduced rotation on the defensive line. Pickett, Wilson and Raji are going to earn their paychecks this week.. they are going to be tested early and often and will need to hold up for the entire game. That to me is the matchup of this game.. if Raji and Pickett keep rocking their men backwards.. this game is ours.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Packers_Finland
11 years ago
Speaking of Saturday, I hope Saturday stars on Saturday.

EDS was horrible vs Vikings. Saturday I thought was at least serviceable during the reg season.
This is a placeholder
musccy
11 years ago

Speaking of Saturday, I hope Saturday stars on Saturday.

EDS was horrible vs Vikings. Saturday I thought was at least serviceable during the reg season.

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland 

In the broadcast, NBC made it sound like Saturday voluntarily removed himself from the line up due to lingering injuries and his belief that he was hindering the team...in other words it was an "altruistic" move initiated by Jeff.

I'm assuming this isn't the case, but does anyone know if there was any truth to this, or he was simply benched by 🇲🇲?

Porforis
11 years ago

In the broadcast, NBC made it sound like Saturday voluntarily removed himself from the line up due to lingering injuries and his belief that he was hindering the team...in other words it was an "altruistic" move initiated by Jeff.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

For what little it's worth, that wasn't the impression I got.
warhawk
11 years ago
I think you will see the no-huddle hurry up offense by McCarthy often. This will slow down the pass rush and hopefully tire out SF's defense.

Of all the games SF has played I HOPE McCarthy has studied the NE game when they ran the hurry up and rung up over 500 yards and something like 33 first downs.

We happen to be that other team that can run the hurry up effectively. Look for it Saturday.
"The train is leaving the station."
Porforis
11 years ago

I think you will see the no-huddle hurry up offense by McCarthy often. This will slow down the pass rush and hopefully tire out SF's defense.

Of all the games SF has played I HOPE McCarthy has studied the NE game when they ran the hurry up and rung up over 500 yards and something like 33 first downs.

We happen to be that other team that can run the hurry up effectively. Look for it Saturday.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

And hopefully SCREENS AND SLANTS AND MORE SLANTS if they blitz too much.
Yerko
11 years ago
I've really likes what Newhouse and Barclay have done for the Packers this season. Newhouse has had some pretty great games and if you look at who he is matched up against week in and week out, only giving up that many sacks with that amount of sacks is pretty incredible. Not to mention his left guard has changed a few times and that can have an affect on how Newhouse has to play. I believe he has earned his starting spot.

Barclay has been thrown to the wolves as well and for the most part, has succeeded. I really like Barclay on the run block. He has a better run block than Bulaga, imo. Barclay will be a great back up to have on store next season.

Like Pack93z said, I think a lot of the Packers offensive line success will be determined by how limited Justin Smith is. The guy tore his tricep and I doubt 20+ days is enough for an injury like that to heal 100%. I think Justin Smith will be limited and the Packers offensive line, Newhouse and Barclay included, will punch this 49ers defense in the throat.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.