Formo
11 years ago

When I say I don't feel we civilians need to possess any assault rifles, I was speaking more about the weapons that you pull the trigger and 30 shots ring out in seconds.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Fair enough. There's really no argument there.

UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
11 years ago
I personally know alot of hunters that use semi automatic rifles when they hunt. They are easier to use, as you can shoot and not have to do anything to get another round into the barrel.
I myself use a lever action rifle, and can shoot almost as fast as a semi auto, as i have been using it for over 30 years.
It becomes a natural movement to reload when you practice with it.

Automatic weapons are already illegal, so you don't need any new laws. If someone is already breaking laws that are there now, what makes anyone think that criminals will suddenly follow NEW laws?
Answer: They won't. That's why they are bad people. They don't care about ANY laws.
Stricter enforcement and harsher penalties is what is needed to stop bad people. Not new laws that have no more "teeth" then the current ones.
Drunk driving is illegal, but doesn't stop the drunks. Harsher penalties if you are caught drunk driving might stop some people. Some though, as you already know, will do it anyway. You see people caught for 6 and 7 or more times drunk driving. Some just don't care and the only way is to incarcerate them, same as they should do for those using guns to commit crimes.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

Automatic weapons are already illegal, so you don't need any new laws.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Actually with the lapse of the assault weapon ban... they are legal as of now.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
11 years ago

I personally know alot of hunters that use semi automatic rifles when they hunt. They are easier to use, as you can shoot and not have to do anything to get another round into the barrel.
I myself use a lever action rifle, and can shoot almost as fast as a semi auto, as i have been using it for over 30 years.
It becomes a natural movement to reload when you practice with it.

Automatic weapons are already illegal, so you don't need any new laws. If someone is already breaking laws that are there now, what makes anyone think that criminals will suddenly follow NEW laws?
Answer: They won't. That's why they are bad people. They don't care about ANY laws.
Stricter enforcement and harsher penalties is what is needed to stop bad people. Not new laws that have no more "teeth" then the current ones.
Drunk driving is illegal, but doesn't stop the drunks. Harsher penalties if you are caught drunk driving might stop some people. Some though, as you already know, will do it anyway. You see people caught for 6 and 7 or more times drunk driving. Some just don't care and the only way is to incarcerate them, same as they should do for those using guns to commit crimes.

Yeah Cheesey, but those semi-auto's used for deer rifles only hold 4 rounds, so you get four shots. That's not the type of rifle that is going to be made illegal. And please quit using those stupid apples to oranges comparisons on your argument. All it does is waters down your argument, because they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. A 4 round clip on a deer rifle is plenty - ban anything holding more than that. We will all survive just fine.

UserPostedImage
Dulak
11 years ago
Ive commented on thid forum in the past about gun control and talked to others about it also.

The big issue is this - I feel like I'd like a gun and feel Id be sane to only use it when needed (to get rid of unwanted trash (j/k)) - but the problem is there are people out there that you cant trust with such a weapon - actually quite a bit.

So Id rather have laws that severely limit the amount of guns in the US then have them become so rampant that kids in school need metal detectors because they never know whom might bring one. Let alone outside people going to schools and shooting people.

The whole argument about people kill people and guns dont ... sure but crazy, mad, upset, irrational, depressed, curious, people do it also and guns make it alot easier.

me and my wife are thinking about moving back to the states and to be honest all the deaths and even seeing signs around at the bars in wisconsin about no concealed carry etc worries me. Heck my wife grew up in northern ireland and is really opposed to guns.

I honestly wonder how many people (children, adults, parents, friends etc) must die to shootings before change takes effect.

After living in london for the past 5 years I really feel the states should adapt much more control - perhaps not as strict as the UK but much more then there is ...

(not that the UK is perfect but some things are IMO better)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I've owned two guns in my life.

A Colt .45 Combat Commander. Yes, semi-auto. Not sure why I bought it anymore. Probably because it looked cool made me feel macho. Soon realized I couldn't hit a damn thing with it. Being weak in the wrist, couldn't handle the recoil. ROFL.

A Winchester 94 30-30. Plain as can be. IMO one of the greatest rifles ever made. My hunting rifle. Where I hunted, there was a lot of brush -- never saw the point of getting a scope or a 30-06 that most people had. I wasn't going to have that long of a sight line unless I was shooting across roads or fields (one of which is illegal and the other of which I almost never was in a position to do -- I was always a driver, not a drive-to.

Don't have either one of them anymore. Getting rid of the .45 was surprisingly easy -- after all, like I said, I'd need a barn size target to hit anything. Letting the 30-30 go was painful, though, and every time like this I remember it, I get sad. Sometimes still to the point of regret. That was a great rifle. More, it was my dad's, and had serious sentimental value. But there's not much point to having a rifle in Iowa. Stupid flat state.

Damn that was a sweet rifle.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Cheesey
11 years ago

Ive commented on thid forum in the past about gun control and talked to others about it also.

The big issue is this - I feel like I'd like a gun and feel Id be sane to only use it when needed (to get rid of unwanted trash (j/k)) - but the problem is there are people out there that you cant trust with such a weapon - actually quite a bit.

So Id rather have laws that severely limit the amount of guns in the US then have them become so rampant that kids in school need metal detectors because they never know whom might bring one. Let alone outside people going to schools and shooting people.

The whole argument about people kill people and guns dont ... sure but crazy, mad, upset, irrational, depressed, curious, people do it also and guns make it alot easier.

me and my wife are thinking about moving back to the states and to be honest all the deaths and even seeing signs around at the bars in wisconsin about no concealed carry etc worries me. Heck my wife grew up in northern ireland and is really opposed to guns.

I honestly wonder how many people (children, adults, parents, friends etc) must die to shootings before change takes effect.

After living in london for the past 5 years I really feel the states should adapt much more control - perhaps not as strict as the UK but much more then there is ...

(not that the UK is perfect but some things are IMO better)

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

See, here lies the problem. You can "outlaw" guns all you want. But that does NOTHING to keep them out of the hands of those that you SHOULD be afraid of having guns, meaning, the bad people.
They already don't abide by the rules/laws, so more laws is the answer?
I don't understand why people don't understand that concept.
And as i have already said, it doesn't work. ALL the countries that have tried to outlaw guns have made it harder for honest good people to defend themselves when attacked. That's ALL it has done. Violent crime has risen in all those coutries.
And today i saw a guy on the local news, try to hold up a convienience store here using a knife. The little petite woman behind the counter pulled a gun, and without firing a shot caused the guy to run out of the store with nothing.
Just one more time a gun in the hands of a GOOD person, stopped a crime.
(And they did catch the guy later!)
One of the few times it was reported on the news!
UserPostedImage
GermanGilbert
11 years ago

See, here lies the problem. You can "outlaw" guns all you want. But that does NOTHING to keep them out of the hands of those that you SHOULD be afraid of having guns, meaning, the bad people.
They already don't abide by the rules/laws, so more laws is the answer?
I don't understand why people don't understand that concept.

To be honest, I really don't understand it.

USA (legal): 10.310 murders with guns p.a. (3.45 dead people per 100.000)
Germany (illegal): 155 murders with guns p.a. (0.19 dead people per 100.000)

If the concept is to let 17.5 people die instead of 1, I highly doubt it's a good one.

Edit: And having a gun to protect yourself when anyone tries to kill you won't work out either. If you only have a gun to protect yourself, it'll be your first shot in your life. Guess who's more experienced and therefore quicker, you or the guy who want to shoot you?
blank
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Edit: And having a gun to protect yourself when anyone tries to kill you won't work out either. If you only have a gun to protect yourself, it'll be your first shot in your life. Guess who's more experienced and therefore quicker, you or the guy who want to shoot you?

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

If you own a gun to protect yourself and you don't regularly take it out at a gun range, what's the point? That's like buying a Lamborghini and leaving it sit covered in the garage.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago
For Starters.

There will be no real gun control until we as a nation abandon the PC nonsense and admit that young uneducated black men shoot one another at an extremely high rate.

...and whitey trusts very few black folk. Homie shoots one -another right and left, this cannot be good for your average redneck reader.

Maybe whitey ought to come off the drugs they are buying off homie.

The boofers look dumber, mostly incredibly dumb, in my life experiences,to the point that smart is invigorating and exceptional.

...talk about feeding the rednecks...

This is what whitey thinks...

My best bud calls me up after YEARS of non-communication...

He doesn't say hello.

He says,

"They MAKE YOU HATE THEM",
then he tells me the story, whatever it might be. (He's not talking about Snow White)

Gun control will not be solved until whitey do no hate blackey, and that ain't happen' on our watch, as, WE DON'T LIKE ONE ANOTHER, as a rule...

And whitey wants guns for the last defense...

PC may have a chance, I don't think so. That is the BEGINNING of hard-core reality, someone must bring it, I reckon it should be me.

At least here. Someone explain why my friend is wrong.