doddpower
11 years ago

Ross' muffed punt and Rodgers absolutely stupid INT cost us 14 points. How many points did we lost by, again?

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

I really don't think the decision by Rodgers to throw it deep to Nelson on the INT was as bad as others are making it out to be. I think it was 3rd down, so throwing it that far is essentially the exact same thing as a punt, with at least some small chance of making a play. The problem was no one could make a tackle. I'm not trying to say I agree with it, but it's similar to a punt. Perhaps the punt team could have done a better job on limiting a return, but there's no guarantees and the 49'ers would have had the ball regardless. Had Rodgers just made a better throw to the right sidelines, which was the way Nelson was running, it could have been a completion. Again, imo, it was more of an execution issue, not the decision to throw it deep; both in terms of the location of the ball and the inability to make a tackle early in the return. The chances of converting that 3rd down were slim either way.

hardrocker950
11 years ago
This is what made my blood boil tonight!

Muffed punt - shit happens, but you CANNOT let it happen in such field position. The moment I saw that, I had a bad feeling. They might as well have handed them 7 on a silver platter right there.

I may have had my green tinted glasses on, but I saw many holds go uncalled which resulted in big plays for their offense. When he had all day to throw, it was obvious to me that something was wrong; sure enough I see holds, holds, and more holds. From what I saw on Kaep's big TD run - that is how he managed to go virtually untouched.

Containment? Was this even in the game plan? With a QB that likes to run, wouldn't this be a focal point? I guess not this time...

I wasn't a big fan of taking the FG on a 4th and 1. Safer of course, but a chance at taking the lead could have sparked some momentum.

Overall disappointed in the defense. aside from Shield's pick and Woodson making some plays - nothing overly impressive tonight. Of course with the holding mentioned above - they cannot take all the blame for blown plays.

[-(
all_about_da_packers
11 years ago
See here is my problem with the decision: it's 3rd down and still early in the game. I fine with taking shots when our WRs are in advantageous positions, but Jordy was double covered. On top of that, there were at least 2 other options underneath. What exactly is the most pressing reason to throw it into double coverage? It's not like he had pressure in his face that he could not continue with his progressions.

Later on in the game, when it's obvious you need quick points and/or it's fourth down then I have no problem with throwing it up. But we are getting absolutely killed in Time of Possession, and I see no reason why you would want to treat it like a punt. The last thing our offense needed to do was worry about the 49ers offense field position. That's why you punt: to make the offense start off deep.

In third down in a game your offense has barely touched the ball you try to get the offense going by picking up first downs. Bad decision by Rodgers.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
doddpower
11 years ago

See here is my problem with the decision: it's 3rd down and still early in the game. I fine with taking shots when our WRs are in advantageous positions, but Jordy was double covered. On top of that, there were at least 2 other options underneath. What exactly is the most pressing reason to throw it into double coverage? It's not like he had pressure in his face that he could not continue with his progressions.

Later on in the game, when it's obvious you need quick points and/or it's fourth down then I have no problem with throwing it up. But we are getting absolutely killed in Time of Possession, and I see no reason why you would want to treat it like a punt. The last thing our offense needed to do was worry about the 49ers offense field position. That's why you punt: to make the offense start off deep.

In third down in a game your offense has barely touched the ball you try to get the offense going by picking up first downs. Bad decision by Rodgers.

I still think it was poor execution, not a bad decision. From what I remember (and I do need to rewatch it), Nelson had a chance at a catch as he was running across the field, but Rodgers threw it up the field, which forced Nelson to change directions and run right into the deep safety. Had he led Nelson in the direction he was running, it could have been a great play. I just think it was really bad execution. I suppose that can be called a bad decision by Rodgers too, but I think the play had a chance. Rodgers just didn't make the right throw.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I lost all interest in the game when the Packers came out without DuJuan Harris in the backfield, essentially telling the 49ers even though its a 3 point game, we are gonna pass, pass and pass again.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I lost all interest in the game when the Packers came out without DuJuan Harris in the backfield, essentially telling the 49ers even though its a 3 point game, we are gonna pass, pass and pass again.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yep. I was extremely disappointed when I was that. Play after play after play.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

That's really it in a nutshell. How the hell was he expecting to win? What was McCarthy's plan? The guy can present as the biggest moron at some really important times for his team.

Packers had 16 rushes

49ers had 42 rushes.

Who was going to win with those numbers?
musccy
11 years ago

Although I agree this was a mistake, it wasn't the reason for the loss. Raji and Pickett letting Gore waltz through the middle while sipping on some tea early on didn't help, but ultimately the inability to contain and be disciplined, in particular cm3, walden, and jones was what did us in.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Although I agree this was a mistake, it wasn't the reason for the loss. Raji and Pickett letting Gore waltz through the middle while sipping on some tea early on didn't help, but ultimately the inability to contain and be disciplined, in particular cm3, walden, and jones was what did us in.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

There is no one reason the Packers lost, other than they scored less points than the opposition. However, when you let the defense know you're going to pass, pass and pass some more, they can pin their ears back and murder your QB. This results into rushed passes and short drives that produce no points, and it puts your tired defense back on the field with inadequate rest. When people are tired, or exhausted, they make less sharp decisions.

DuJuan Harris was 11 for 53 yards and one TD in the first half. Explain what he did to deserve being left off the field? All he did was get yards and move the chains an extend drives. THAT is what you need your offense to do.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
11 years ago

Not really.

We were arguably in this game until the start of the 4th Q.

Ross' muffed punt and Rodgers absolutely stupid INT cost us 14 points. How many points did we lost by, again?

(The muffed punt came at an absolute terrible time and very bad position on the field; Packers arguably had the momentum until them).

Oh yes really. That was an ass kicking!