Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
There are a ton of reasons to be upset with this season, this team, the "oh so close" feeling that this team endured this season.

But honestly, for a team that went for so many seasons with a constant figure on the field to a team that has to re-identify themselves.. some of this was to be expected.

I expected some frustrating games and losses this season, granted not this many or worse yet this string of defeats post bye.. but I gave it a little thought last night decorating the tree with the kiddos.

We had some lucky breaks last year and weren't as good as record.. this year we didn't enjoy some of those breaks and some of the real root problems on this team have been exposed.

Whether you see it as disipline, position coaching, weakness along both lines, or whatever you believe it to be.

But Ted and Mike McCarthy have plenty of film, breakdowns and examples to root it out in their minds.

So, it will be the proof time in both man's eyes to correctly identify the behind the curtain issues, develop a plan for resolution and execute that plan.

They have no excuses or no place else to lay blame.. I am confident that we will see a number of changes and I believe we will see some urgency this offseason to rebound.

I have confidence in those two yet.. go get them boys.

We have all the evidence to correct the problems at hand (two season worth of the same mistakes) .. good luck.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago
I have confidence in them also.

They both could use some Dale Carnegie remedial training in order to quiet the masses, though.

I'm re-opening my "McCarthyisms" humor theme this off-season. I have a lot of new material to work with. This is not the same as having lost faith in either him or Mr. no-blink.

It is going to be a bitch-heavy off-season, but at least we don't have to look for cell phone records.
Packnic
15 years ago
yeah, heres hoping that we went ahead and got the injury bug out at the same time we got the "transition of power" bug to deal with.

just a tough year.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
In a way, they're a bit screwed and don't have anyone to blame but themselves. It's pretty unfair, but the shenanigans this past offseason pretty much dictated that if we didn't have a good year they'd get some heat.

Personally I'm in the camp that still has some faith in them. I just don't see us having the same injury issues as this year, and I do think they'll go out and do something in the offseason to raise the talent level in those areas where it's lacking.

Having a 'normal' offseason shouldn't hurt, either.

But if the team doesn't perform next year, I think it's fair to say they will -- and should be -- on the hot seat.
blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
The interesting thing I noticed a while back, when I was in the mood to go and check it out, was that for the past few years (dating back to 2002), usually their is a 50% turnover concerning the teams that made it to the NFC and AFC Championship games.

And by that I mean 2/4 teams return to the playoffs next year, while the other two miss them completely. I've been contemplating whether or not to start a new detailed thread on this, so I'll leave that option open and just go a little deep here:

Some of the teams to make it to the Conference Championship, only to miss the playoffs all together include: Pats, Eagles, Chargers, Saints, Bears, Panthers... just to name a few.

The interesting thing is that those teams, for the most part, had terrible years following their Conference Championship births. And by terrible I mean below .500, usually going 7-9.

Now I'm not saying Ted and Mike McCarthy should just stand pat, because it's obvious we need help along the lines, and maybe a veteran SS that's dependable and assignment sure. And the Brett saga no doubt hurt this team too.

But it's interesting to see the path these 2008-2009 Packers have taken (i.e. fall from grace) is one that has been traveled before by many a team in the last few years. For all intents and purposes, teams like the Chargers, Pats, Eagles have bounced back and made strong playoff pushes.

So perhaps that Packers aren't in as steep a whole as it seems right now. That's not to say they don't need to fix some problems, but maybe, just maybe the problems aren't as big as we all think?
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
packman31
15 years ago
They were as good as their record last year, good teams win the close games. This years team is playing sloppy with to many penalties and a defense that can't stop anybody.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

They were as good as their record last year, good teams win the close games. This years team is playing sloppy with to many penalties and a defense that can't stop anybody.

"packman31" wrote:

Go check out the stats last season.. 07.. I think we as a team were second in the league in penalty yards.

The Offensive line was just as sporadic in the 07 season as this season..

We trimmed down the roster count on the Dline, specifically the interior.. add in an injury, a player in Harrell that hasn't stepped up and KGB falling off.. simply put.. we need more and better depth there.

A linebacker corp that makes the same mental mistakes and can't cover my hopping ole ass.

Maybe over simplifying it.. but I see it as simple as that.

This year we couldn't get an ounce of pass rush inside or from the opposite side of Kampman..

Again.. we have all the evidence to make the necessary changes.. will they?

That is the franchise question for 09'.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
packman31
15 years ago
They still were as good as their record last season and the defense played better last season. Good teams win close games and play good defense. Yes they have plenty of film but we will see if they use it to make changes.
blank
macbob
15 years ago

They still were as good as their record last season and the defense played better last season. Good teams win close games and play good defense. Yes they have plenty of film but we will see if they use it to make changes.

"packman31" wrote:

That's the thing that surprised me the most. I expected the offense to struggle some, but I didn't expect the utter collapse on defense. The cornerbacks were the only group on defense that I thought played well.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.