Cal2GreenBay
11 years ago

I guess I don't understand this whole read-option fad. The wishbone isn't used as an offense because it is too easily defended in the NFL. What makes this different? We have had these types of QB's in the past as well...McNabb, McNair, Vick, Newton. They come in the league, have a impact first year and their running numbers decline. Then the hits start taking their toll and they realize that they have to become more pocket passers. NFL defenses will figure this out sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by: K_Buz 

You can't generalize that easily.
McNabb was also not a cerebral QB. same for McNair.
newton is not the past. he has the physical tools, just am not convinced on the smarts.

Wilson, Kaepernick and rg3 are different,
Call it a fad all you want, but using that rationale over and over again in this new context is antiquated,

Kaep and Wilson don't look to run first. They look to pass first. And unlike rg3, they don't run and seek contact for extra yards and Risk getting hurt.
They are all cerebral quarterbacks and are different than what we've seen before.

The proof is in front of us,

blank
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
The list of players I fill will not be back next year:
25 Grant, Ryan RB
50 Hawk, A.J. LB
85 Jennings, Greg WR
79 Pickett, Ryan DT
80 Driver, Donald WR
63 Saturday, Jeff C
21 Woodson, Charles DB
88 Finley, Jermichael TE
44 Starks, James RB
32 Benson, Cedric RB

This will once again leave the Packers with little veteran leadership.
(offense)Aaron Rodgers 8yrs,
(defense)Tramon Williams 6yrs
(spc teams)Jarret Bush 7yrs

Packers will be very raw at RB, but Harris,Green, and Brandon Saine(off ir) will be a solid start.

I'm betting Ted gets a RB in 1st or 2rnd of draft.
(you draft guys,any studds available this year)?

O-line, these guys just need to get and stay healthy.
Saturday was a mistake last year, but IMHO with the guys currently on the roster and guys coming off IR, unless there is a superstud available, Ted will once again wait for later rnds to address O-line.

Packers have plenty of talent a LB positions, if they can just get and stay healthy.

Signing Clay is a must,the rest will fall into place.

Just a start, plenty of other positions need to be adressed, just my .02 on these positions.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
yooperfan
11 years ago
Ted better get busy trading down for more 6th and 7th round picks to fill all those positions.
Oh yeah and a few street signings to fill out the roster will help I'm sure.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Ted better get busy trading down for more 6th and 7th round picks to fill all those positions.
Oh yeah and a few street signings to fill out the roster will help I'm sure.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

When was the last time this happened? 2007 when the team was watered down?

The list of players I fill will not be back next year:
25 Grant, Ryan RB
50 Hawk, A.J. LB
85 Jennings, Greg WR
79 Pickett, Ryan DT
80 Driver, Donald WR
63 Saturday, Jeff C
21 Woodson, Charles DB
88 Finley, Jermichael TE
44 Starks, James RB
32 Benson, Cedric RB

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Hawk, Pickett, Woodson, Finley and Starks I think will all be back, including Benson.
Grant, Jennings (signs elsewhere), Driver, Saturday will probably retire.
UserPostedImage
musccy
11 years ago

Hawk, Pickett, Woodson, Finley and Starks I think will all be back, including Benson.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Woodson may have to restructure sooner than later. Too lazy to look but I think his cap # is nearing 10 million next year, otherwise I agree. Hawk is under contract still and is a serviceable option.
DakotaT
11 years ago

I think Uncle Ted did that for a couple years out of pure necessity. I don't recall if cutting Hawk would be a cap saving move next year or not, but if it is, he can be replaced by Brad Jones right now - or maybe the Manning kid steps up next year. I agree on Pickett and Finley and hope they Franchise Tag Jennings. Woodson isn't worth his cap number next year, so we might be back to the young guys at safety.
UserPostedImage
Cal2GreenBay
11 years ago

I think Uncle Ted did that for a couple years out of pure necessity. I don't recall if cutting Hawk would be a cap saving move next year or not, but if it is, he can be replaced by Brad Jones right now - or maybe the Manning kid steps up next year. I agree on Pickett and Finley and hope they Franchise Tag Jennings. Woodson isn't worth his cap number next year, so we might be back to the young guys at safety.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Also, Aaron is up for a contract extension. If he gets one of those plus hundred million dollar contracts, then expect the ability to retool to be limited. It will resemble Favres prime years where it's all QB and less TEAM
blank
DakotaT
11 years ago

Also, Aaron is up for a contract extension. If he gets one of those plus hundred million dollar contracts, then expect the ability to retool to be limited. It will resemble Favres prime years where it's all QB and less TEAM

Originally Posted by: Cal2GreenBay 

Back then we suffered from an out of control cap situation that Ron Wolf got us into, getting us to two Super Bowls using free agency, and then was succeded by a clueless GM. Aaron has two years left on his contract, and I haven't heard anything about the extension except for fan speculation. I have never heard any squawking out of Rodgers either, but he should be the highest paid QB in the league right now. It's pretty tough to keep being a contender year after year, and that's what I prefer - so maybe we are over-reacting to our ass kicking last night just a little. I still say having Bishop, Perry, and Worthy in there would have made a difference.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago
We need to reload or retool?

Seems to me our defense is as abominable as it was all of 2011. So, that's 2 years of ineptitude. We may have been better statistically this year, and we may have sustained some injuries. All teams do. But, we don't look like we even belong on the same field with real contenders.

I think we need to switch out our philosophies both on O and D, as well as much of our personnel.

Go back to a 4-3 D. Maybe change coordinators. Maybe not. McCarthy cannot sit there throwing all game either. We lost every game this year where we did not run 20+ times by our RBs. Without looking it up, I would guess we won every game where we rushed 20-25 attempts. WHAT does this Head Coach not see?

We need OL and DL. We need to face facts that Hawk is slow, and a liability in the passing game. Woodson is also too slow. Walden is not the answer. He only shows up occasionally. Finley is a liability in the run game, a run game we OBVIOUSLY need to be employing. Jennings lost a step. Ty Williams has regressed. Pickett was our best DL this year. We have no one behind the aging vet to give him a rest. Again, two years running. Our DL has been laughable in its lack of game impact, especially against the better teams I the NFL. Much of that I blame on McCarthy's pass happy philosophies on O that continually fail to extend drives and chew up clock. He wears his own D out time and time again.

If Ted is going to keep Rodgers in the Green & Gold, he better insist on more effective protection and more emphasis on the run to protect him. And, he better get the right personnel to make that happen.

Retool across the board.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

Gonna agree with you Zero

I guess I should have looked a little closer before I posted. I was thinking Finley and Mathews were Fa's after 2012 and Ted was going to have to free up a lot of $.

Woody has already said he is open to re-negotiate his contract, that would probably open enough cap space to either tag or sign Jennings.
Hawk could probably do the same to free up more $.

The other fa's in the list below that IMHO need to be addresed are EDS,Sam Shields and Brad Jones.

Greg Jennings(tag or sign)

Need to sign, don't let go
Brad Jones
Evan Dietrich Smith
Sam Shields

Frank Zombo(gone via FA)
Eric Walden(gone via FA)
Robert Francois(gone via FA)

Tom Crabtree(will re-sign)
DuJuan Harris(will re-sign)
Jeremy Ross(will re-sign)
Jarret Boykin(will re-sign)

Donald Driver(retires)
Ryan Grant(not resigned)

Not as bad as I 1st thought, Mathews and Rodgers can wait another year, neither has expressed a desire to have their contract re-negotiated.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.