gbguy20
11 years ago

That's not a pundit, that's some random BleacherReport author who mistakenly thinks articles should be written in slides.

I'm sticking with Darren Perry being elevated. :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Haha, that has always driven me nuts about that site.

What kind of scheme do you think Perry would run?
dyeah_gb
11 years ago

That's not a pundit, that's some random BleacherReport author who mistakenly thinks articles should be written in slides.

I'm sticking with Darren Perry being elevated. :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Who does not love slide shows? Heck, the whole country is run off of power point.

The more I think about it, I think the packers have a good opportunity to start fresh on D next season. I think we would have a good shot at promoting Perry. Are we sure he will provide the original thinking we need rather than Capers 2.0?

It is important that we avoid a situation like we did with Ed Donatell a decade ago where we needed a scapegoat and ultimately took a step backwards by firing him. If there really is no one better than Capers out there, then we are unfortunately stuck with him.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
It doesn't matter what the scheme is, if the pass rush leaves run lanes open. Three weeks ago, there was no rush discipline and MN beat us, two weeks ago, they have the rush discipline and we win, this game no lane discipline and again we lose. I give much of the credit in that to SF. They blocked us out of our lanes as much as we rushed ourselves out of them. Our edges get to far upfield and our middle doesn't get enough. We had the same problem back with the 4-3. the center got no push and the edges go up field making huge escape lanes for QB.

For pass rush, whether we get rid of Capers, keep him, move back to the 4/3 or stay. Our biggest weakness on defense is a consistent push from the interior Dline. Raji, Pickett, Worthy, Neal, Daniels. That is where we need improvement on D. Along with MLB. Our guys are good, but a Patrick Willis on the interior would do wonders also.

Even with how bad the defense looked, we lost this game because of a ST blunder and a bad INT.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

It doesn't matter what the scheme is, if the pass rush leaves run lanes open. Three weeks ago, there was no rush discipline and MN beat us, two weeks ago, they have the rush discipline and we win, this game no lane discipline and again we lose. I give much of the credit in that to SF. They blocked us out of our lanes as much as we rushed ourselves out of them. Our edges get to far upfield and our middle doesn't get enough. We had the same problem back with the 4-3. the center got no push and the edges go up field making huge escape lanes for QB.

For pass rush, whether we get rid of Capers, keep him, move back to the 4/3 or stay. Our biggest weakness on defense is a consistent push from the interior Dline. Raji, Pickett, Worthy, Neal, Daniels. That is where we need improvement on D. Along with MLB. Our guys are good, but a Patrick Willis on the interior would do wonders also.

Even with how bad the defense looked, we lost this game because of a ST blunder and a bad INT.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

You seriously think it falls on ST and the Int?

Even with the gimme TD at the end GB lost by 14. Take away those TDs is a tie but SF could have marched right down field and scored again. Then again they would have shut down GB from getting their last TD.
SF dominated GB on both sides of the ball the whole game long.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

You seriously think it falls on ST and the Int?

Even with the gimme TD at the end GB lost by 14. Take away those TDs is a tie but SF could have marched right down field and scored again. Then again they would have shut down GB from getting their last TD.
SF dominated GB on both sides of the ball the whole game long.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

What you are missing is momentum and what those two plays did to the game.

We were up by 7, having just scored and the defense gets a stop and forces a punt. If Ross just holds on, odds are, at worst we punt the ball back to them. Instead they score and the offense comes back on the field tied, instead of in the lead, and pressing after the turn over, resulting in a forced pass by Rodgers that I don't think he makes if we are up by 7 instead and now down 21-14. The result being us down 24-21 at half, where we more than like would have been up at the 1/2.

Those two plays changed the game and that is what cost us the game. Those two plays and the results change the way both teams called plays offensively and defensively. I can't say we would have won, but it would have been a different game and coming back out after 1/2 with a lead, the odds are pretty good that they don't lose.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Pack93z
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

It all comes down to discipline.. and we lack it in several areas, most notably on the edge. A guy like Walden gives the edge way to often. That is the overall season and not just this game.

But beyond that.. we just got beat at the point of attack, their offensive line simply beat our front. Big physical lines will exploit the 3-4 at times, the is one of the knocks on a 3-4, if your backers are not physical enough across the boards or disciplined enough, they will get exposed.

We got beat in that match up, their offensive line beat our front. And it was enough to beat us on Saturday.

This is my opinion, this league is circular in offensive schemes, things are tried, if they succeed they become popular and copied until the defense figures it out and how to stop it. The read option, especially out of the pistol, is the latest newcomer to the scene. Defenses the last couple years have seen the league torched by the pass, teams build to stop the pass. They scheme to stop the pass. And then someone exposes the underbelly of these concepts, and it becomes a fad.

The real answer, IMO, is to build a defense that can play multiple fronts with strong cover corners behind it. Just like the offense, defenses go through cycles. 3-4 to 4-3 and back to 3-4 as the dominate fronts. Look no further than the Packers.. 80's were 3-4, 90' through the most of the next decade 4-3, then back to the 3-4. Both have weaknesses and strengths, but I think to many times a DC gets too married to one or the other. I personally think, to be successful in this league, you have to be able to play a multiple front defense based on match ups.

That is my disappointment with Capers.. I anticipated a guy that would bring more variations to the table and make adjustments in game a little more fluidly and rapidly. That said, I refuse to lay all the blame at his feet when he is playing at least 3 or 4 deep down the depth chart at several positions and still help carry this team this deep into the season.

Example.. the Cap run off the right edge.. Walden got sucked in and pinned, and Jones failed to read and cover the gap. Both of these guys are backup players being forces up the rotation. Both are good players, but have weaknesses at this point in their games. Walden is undisciplined as they come.. and this has been exposed over and over from 2010 on. Go back to a late season Bears game in 2010.. it looked almost identical to this season often. Jones is a first year inside backer that is trying to forget his outside backer mindset, sometimes he gets caught. Is it Capers fault that we lost DJ and Bishop? Is it his fault that we lost Perry whom is a better edge player?

No.

I think Capers is a good defensive mind, and I refuse to lay all the blame upon him. However, if they choose to part company, a fresh mind might be welcomed.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
If that is how you see the game unfolding I am ok with that.

UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago
Either way I think we'll be a better defense next year. Dom capers or not. We need trenches players. It's pretty obvious that's what we're gonna look for in this draft. I would go 2 Offensive lineman, 2 Linebackers, and 3 defensive lineman. Ted Thompson will probably trade and stuff like he normally does, so that's just based on what I think with the 7 picks we got now. I think we got depth at the offensive line position. As in, Barclay, Lang, and EDS stepped up this season. But we need a backup for Newhouse, if we get that early in the draft we'll be good there. Along with the defensive line we need to replace Pickett, and get a backup for Raji. Hopefully Worthy will recover and maybe Daniels develops and overcomes his size disadvantage. Finally we need a better backup for Perry, and another MLB to backup, Jones, Smith, and Bishop. Hopefully Jones will develop into a better MLB next year. Certainly Bishops presence on the field will be a huge boost next season, we've missed that guy.
doddpower
11 years ago
Can anyone update me on what type of injury Worthy actually sustained? I must have missed further information on exactly what his knee injury was. Was it just a sprain, ACL, etc?
DakotaT
11 years ago

Can anyone update me on what type of injury Worthy actually sustained? I must have missed further information on exactly what his knee injury was. Was it just a sprain, ACL, etc?

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

I looked around and couldn't find an official report. The best info I found was that they were waiting for the swelling to go down for a prognosis, but I didn't find anything else.
UserPostedImage