Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
Been kind of an odd year ice fishing.. late ice.. varying temperatures, sporadic fishing.. etc.

But as of last night we had a ice fishing shack to visit and fish.. had being the key word.

Between last night around midnight to ~ 7am this morning.. the ice gave way and the shack was partially submerged. Another shack that they were trying to pull off yesterday is already at the bottom of the lake with 4 wheeler still hooked.

We spent the better part of today trying to save our rig... but as of 4pm tonight.. it is at the bottom of the lake with just a back of the roof at ice level. The ice is just not safe enough to continue today. So next weekend, both us and the other gent (went to high school with him) are going to take the saws to the lake.. with plenty of other people in to help as well.. hook on a skidder from the shoreline with hundreds of yards of cable to winch the along the bottom.

Our shack is destroyed.. but Corky's wheeler is the main objective to try and salvage as much of it as they can. Possibly it will be a total loss, but they are going to try.. I will try and take a couple pictures tomorrow.. thought about it today.. but we tried like a dickens to save the rigs.

The bad news.. is all landings on the lake are closed down and the wind it picking up. There are still about 10 + shacks on the lake. Two more are melted down to the axles or have dropped off the blocks. Needless to say, I have thawed out and we are hopeful the gear will stay in the rig.. augers, tip ups, tip downs.. they are all trapped in. Long disappointing and frustrating day.. takes the Packer loss and puts it into perspective.

The ice went from 8 inches to less than three in spots since Thursday, kind of freaky not knowing where the good ice is. It rained this week and that water is finally hitting the lakes via the streams.. and the likely cause of the disappearing shacks. Corky is lucky as he was on the wheeler when it went down and was lucky that he was only about a 100 yards from the shore, didn't go under the ice and was able to keep his presence to run like hell to get off the ice as it continued to crack.

The good news.. it is getting colder so hopefully the rest of the shacks will stay up and all others will get off the ice. Couple that with a fairly shallow lake for the most part.. and no one got hurt.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
I am glad no one was injured. Everything else can be replaced.

But your story is exactly why I have no interest whatsoever of ice fishing. 90% of the time there is nothing to worry about. It gets cold, the water freezes and you put the huts out. The weather warms and you take them in. I don't want to be on the water during the fluky 10% so I avoided it all the rest of the time as well.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I take that back. I would go ice fishing if i could drag a boat out and sit in it. 😉
UserPostedImage
gotarace
11 years ago
Damn is this in Rib Lake packz? They are still driving trucks all over the lakes in Phillips and there are shacks real close to the river inlets. Hope the ice hasn't met the same fate here. Good luck with getting the shack and quad out of the lake...

Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago
On Rib Lake, Yes.. and I think the issue has revealed itself.

The Fish and Game puts in aerator beds down, it appears one of those lines has shifted and sent the air and current under the ice and slowly has eaten at the ice via that water flow. About another 50 to 100 feet of ice has disappeared. Per the fish and game.. this is not the case.. regardless, something it very different this year.

Tried to grab pictures this morning.. batteries dead in camera.. I will take a couple snap shots tonight or in the AM. I guess someone posted it on facebook, but I haven't found that yet.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
so do you frequent the ice conditions message board?

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=20.0 

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

so do you frequent the ice conditions message board?

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=20.0 

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No, usually if it is a question, you walk out an punch a couple holes in the ice to check. They went down last night apparently, and the aerator was the issue as it possibly "walked out" and apparently is the reason for the rapidly eroding ice. It is pretty apparent this morning as almost all the shoreline has opened up. Again, the fish and game doesn't think this is the issue.

Bad luck in where we chose to setup more than anything.. as in many cases of outdoor issues.. it is a man made issue.
dfosterf
11 years ago
I have a tough time motivating myself to garden when we have so many farmer's markets with the Amish giving away high-qualty produce at fractions of the prices charged in grocery stores.

How many fish did you catch?

Maybe global warming is on Rib Lake. Dakota says give you a couple milliom to catch some perch.
DakotaT
11 years ago
93, what would a lake lot and year round home cost on one of the lakes up where you live. Minnesota is craziness, and North Dakota doesn't have lakes, just reservoirs on rivers and creeks.

Sorry about the ice house, now you should get one of those portables that double as a camper.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago
The lake has produced several nice walleyes this year.. but overall slow.

We moved the removal up to Friday for our shack and Saturday for the big on with the wheeler attached from what I here.. still not sure how they are going to get the wheeler unhooked. Hopefully the wheeler will run again or not.. pull it all apart, drain all the fluids.. dry it and see if she will fire again. I hope it will.. I have drowned a 2002 Polaris under the water.. albeit it wasn't under for a week. We shall see.
dfosterf
11 years ago
If you get something underwater that you are thinking is hosed, let's talk first. I have experience in that arena. Just please don't try and start the bitch first.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.