rabidgopher04
11 years ago
From ProFootballTalk:

McCarthy told reporters on Tuesday that Capers will be back. Sort of.

Via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com, McCarthy said that he is “very confident” Capers will return in 2013, but that McCarthy plans to evaluate everyone.

Still, McCarthy bristled at the suggestion that Capers should be blamed. Via Seifert, McCarthy called it “ridiculous” that he has to answer questions and that he’s “appalled” by the topic.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/15/mccarthy-confident-capers-will-be-back-as-defensive-coordinator/ 
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
musccy
11 years ago
Son of a b.....
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago
"McCarthy plans to evaluate everyone." Doesn't that sound familiar?
Hopefully the Mike Shannahan effect kicks in.. And he has the whole offseason to evaluate!
RajiRoar
11 years ago
as frustrating as our defense has been, I am willing to give Dom some slack with regard to the personel he has to work with.

Raji is a mystery, sometimes good, sometimes awful.

Worthy and Perry have never played a 3-4, and both ended on IR. If Worthy really had an ACL tear, it is possible we wont get him back until later next year, he may need to be PUPed.

Jarius Wynn (last year's starting DE) was completely playing out of scheme, they just slapped a beer gut on a 4-3 DE and called it good. he sucked.

Pickett is not a DE. he gives it his best, but the man is a NT.

C.J. Wilson is Jarius Wynn to a lesser extent, never makes much of an impact at all, is just "there".

none of our DL collapse the pocket consistantly, "their jobs are to eat blocks!"... while true, nobody is going to scheme doubles to any of these fellows because none of them are beating singles. they gotta EARN that attention.

Hawk kinda sucks, but not bad enough to replace before other needs.

aside from clay, Bishop is our only LB with the stones to ATTACK O-linemen and bull through them (Hawk prefers to hand fight which NEVER WORKS),and Bish was down all year.

(hey, remember when Jarrett Bush was starting over Heyward and Shields?)

Nick Collins was forced into early retirement, and we have yet to replace him. Nick was probably the most athletic player we had on D, along with the fact he called our coverage.

Erik Walden is the one of the worst LBs I have ever seen. He can't cover, he can't contain, can barely tackle, and cannot beat single-blocking to save his life.

Clay Matthews is fucking awsome.

I think 1-5 Williams,Shields,Heyward,House,Woodson (sometimes), is a pretty solid unit. It would be nice to have bigger DBs, but that is nitpicky.

Burnett is o.k.

IMO we really have a weak/soft DL, We need lineman who shove the OL back, why is it BAL, PIT, and SF's 3-man rushes still collapse the pocket and ours barely get passed the LoS? WEAK. we need lineman who play with POWER, our current bunch is holding us back.
/endrant

Ted needs to do better!

in all my typing, I forgot what the OP was about... oh well 🤷

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Good read here - link .

But McCarthy and Capers — assistant coaches were available to reporters after McCarthy’s press conference — went out of their way to say they did adjust. Capers said he went from rushing four men, to trying to close scrambling lanes by rushing five, to using a “spy” to mirror Kaepernick when he dropped back to throw. But Kaepernick found a way to beat them all by scrambling or hitting passes against one-on-one coverage. Then in the second half he hurt the Packers with the read option — he rushed for 181 yards in the game — and a couple of big throws against zone coverage.

They actually used Erik Walden, then Dezman Moses and after each of those failed, then went to using Clay Matthews III as the Spy.
UserPostedImage
Since69
11 years ago
This is good news, jerking knees be damned. Capers is a helluva DC. No one could have beaten Kaepernick on Saturday. We had Joe Webb as a practice dummy. JOE WEBB. That's not much to work with.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago
Count me in the RajiRoar camp when it comes to Capers having not a hell of a lot to work with in his front 7. Great observation that Pickett really, really is a NT/DT. He is not an end, and has been playing out of position since we lost Cullen Jenkins. Rotating Pick and Raji would be the best move going forward, along with adding some real talent on the DL.

I do think Capers could put together a solid 4-3, or improve this defense with better personnel added by Ted & Co. to run his 3-4 currently in place. While I might prefer to have a new DC, I do think Capers can handle improving this defense with better personnel and a better plan.

I am super, super disappointed in how GB ended this season, and there are plenty of reasons why we were not competitive all the way through in looking at how our defense was handled:

1. Capers failed to have his players ready, and failed in his game time adjustments
2. Our DL coaching has appeared subpar
3. Our front 7 personnel is horrifically lacking in top talent (outside of Matthews, Raji and Pickett)
4. Injuries at key positions adversely affected our pass rush and run stopping ability
5. McCarthy's failure to commit to the run for a full 4 quarters made for really tough sledding for his defense in EVERY loss we had. Every single one, McCarthy gave up on the run, with fewer than 25-30 attempts by his RBs, losing time of possession, and allowing the opponent's offense back onto the field to score more points. Any defense will be worn down this way. Of note, we were ranked #2 in Three & Outs behind only NE for efficiency, yet only ranked #14 in Average Time of Possession.

Dedicated ATT by RBs:

v. SF 9/9/12 - 9 rushing attempts (SF had 26 rushing attempts)
v. SEA 9/24/12 - 19 rushing attempts (SEA had 26 rushing attempts)
v. IND 10/7/12 - 18 rushing attempts (IND had 24 rushing attempts)
v. NYG 11/25/12 - 23 rushing attempts (NYG had 29 rushing attempts) 5 of our rushing attempts came after 4:53 left in the game, trailing 38-10. Odd note, trailing 17-7, snakebit by Rodgers INT and subsequent NYG FG to end 1st quarter, we come out shotgun, shotgun, shotgun, resulting in sack, scramble, pass to Cobb for 6 and punt to start 2nd quarter).
v. MIN 12/30/12 - 16 rushing attempts (MIN had 35 rushing attempts)
v. SF 1/12/13 - 13 rushing attempts (SF had 27 rushing attempts, Kaepernick added another 16 on top of that)

We've added some good players who have proved their worth this season (Hayward, Moses, Daniels), and other who have potential to be great but suffered injury (Perry, Worthy). We are still a pretty damn good team overall. We just need to take this over the top, by adding better talent, improved coaching, and instilling a different mindset. Anyone else here screaming for our D to punch a ball out this season like I was? Like Chicago DID? We need some toughness. Some GAME. In many of our losses, if not all of them, we looked like weak sisters. Add to that, we played down to the levels of many inferior opponents, rather than punching them in the face. That must change, along with the 5 items listed. Do that, and we will be very, very tough to beat.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
knee jerk reaction - get rid of Capers

real problem - lack of talent, youth
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
porky88
11 years ago
There's nothing wrong with the scheme, but a fresh mind would help. Darren Perry is younger, and by all accounts, a future defensive coordinator. He's possibly a future head coach, according to many. I'd like to see him take on a larger role, though maybe his role is greater than we all think.

Nonetheless, Capers is here to stay so no more excuses. The defense had its youth movement. They did in '09 and had an above average season, in my assessment. The numbers were good, but veteran QBs lit them up. They hit their peak in 2010 and fell off the rocker in 2011. Their struggles in '11 led to another youth movement this season, so if history is an indicator, then Capers had better have them playing well next year.
dfosterf
11 years ago
I got no problem with that in the ultimate sense, but I reserve the right to bitch about him this entire off-season.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (6h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (6h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (7h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (8h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (23h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.