RajiRoar
11 years ago
UPDATE: I added S, and DE to the list.

feel free to dispute my ramblings, or toss up prospects you like more!

TE:
draft: Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz,Joseph Fauria.
free agency: Fred Davis, Jared Cook
reasoning: MM's offense is all figured out, and we havent had a consistant running attack since Ahman Green. I propose we follow the steps of Bill and Brady and adopt a scheme that involves the TEs much more. IF you can get 2 stud TEs, who can block and act as recievers, you have an instant schematic nightmare for opposing D-coordinators. in these TE sets, we would (ideally) have the ability to run or pass effectivly without having to swap sets. Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers LOVE using the no-huddle, this style of offense would fit PERFECTLY to that. And it gives us essencially 2 extra chip-blockers to help our tackles in protection.

RB:
Draft: Le'Veon Bell, Montee Ball,Stepfan Taylor
free agency: Steven Jackson
reasoning: Da'Juan Harris has some burst, that is for sure. Bur as a starter, he diddn't really do anything to give him an iron grip on the job. The backs I listed can probably be had mid 2nd or later. Alot of draft people have Lacey as the #1 back, I just dont trust any RB running behind that monster line of Alabama.

S:
Draft: T.J. McDonald, D.J. Swearinger (late)
Free Agency: Jairus Byrd.
Reasoning: Assuming Chuck and his 10mil cap hit are gone these are the guys I like. Byrd will probably command top-dollar. so he is extremely unlikley, but the man is worth it. I picked these two safeties becasue of their willingnes to tackle, something we despratly neeed. Swearinger reminds me alot of Bob Sanders (not the coach) could he be an injury risk? maybe. I think he's worth the gamble with a leter pick (3rd+). McDonald will probably be a 2nd rounder, and IMO a prime trade-back pick. There are also a bunch of 6-3+ safties worth a look in the later rounds.. would not be a bad idea in a division with Calvin and Marshall, Kam Chancellor has been a good template for showing that bigger SS's can be effective.

DE:
Draft: William Gholston, Margus Hunt
Free Agency: Chris Canty (only if cheap)
Reasoning: This draft is loaded on the DL, and there are a ton of good prospects. What I am looking for most at DE is strength and size, the rest is up to the coaches. As everyone has noticed over the last few years, our DL is usually on the losing end at the LoS.. Ted had done an AWFUL job of finding players who fit this scheme. Wynn, Wilson, Neal and Raji (to an extent) have been failures. The jury is still out on Worthy's knee, and we still have Pickett at DE. The group gets no push in pass rush and seem pretty easy to run on by teams that are any good. Hunt has a frame similar to JJ Watt, but for whatever reason, Hunt (source Clayton) has not been able to add size to get closer to that 290-300-esh area that he needs to be at. Gholston is as physically gifted as they come, much like his cousin Vernon, although seemingly much better on the field.

ILB:
WR:
C:
LT:

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
Makes sense. But I'm a firm believer in BPA so it depends on how the draft shapes up. We can use upgrades at nearly every position except QB and possibly OLB if Perry comes through. I would take any of the top 12-15 players if they fell to us.

Edit: I should say if the Packer are confident Perry will be an impact player.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Bigbyfan
11 years ago
One move I would like is to upgrade the MLB position with a more physical presence. One possible solution to this is to cut AJ Hawk and use that money on Baltimore FA Dannell Ellerbe. IMO he has had the most impact of any of their LB. Although an argument could be made that Paul Kruger has had the most impact, another potential FA.
blank
Pack93z
11 years ago

One move I would like is to upgrade the MLB position with a more physical presence. One possible solution to this is to cut AJ Hawk and use that money on Baltimore FA Dannell Ellerbe. IMO he has had the most impact of any of their LB. Although an argument could be made that Paul Kruger has had the most impact, another potential FA.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

A couple of thoughts on this post.

1) Hawk remaining signing bonus chews up most of his cap savings by cutting his base salary.. we would still owe.

2) Bishop and Smith will be back next season.. Bishop especially brings the wood. Smith is a very good young developing player. Depth is not an issue in terms of ILB.

Could we use a blue chip head knocking Backer.. absolutely.. but we have a head knocker coming back next season. Lacks blue chip speed.. but can lay the wood.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Bigbyfan
11 years ago
1. Good point about the signing bonus. I'm not very cap savvy and wasn't aware of the structure of his contract structure.

2. Yes Bishop and Smith are coming back, but Ellerbe's pass coverage skills are by far better than either of them. If you pair Bishop and Ellerbe, the Packers would have a poor man's version of the 49ers inside linebackers Willis and Bowman. That could do a lot for this defense.

I am fully aware that Thompson chooses to stay away from the bigger names in FA and build through the draft and "bargain" FA, but this is a scenario I would love to happen.
blank
Pack93z
11 years ago

2. Yes Bishop and Smith are coming back, but Ellerbe's pass coverage skills are by far better than either of them. If you pair Bishop and Ellerbe, the Packers would have a poor man's version of the 49ers inside linebackers Willis and Bowman. That could do a lot for this defense.

See.. and I thought for a second year player, Smith was giving us that boost as a coverage backer. Personally, I am really high on the rotation of Hawk, Bishop and Smith. I think with a bit more seasoning, Smith may become that an excellent player for this team and scheme.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I think Ted Thompson will spend the money in FA is he feels it's worth it but he won't reach. He did with Woodson. However, there aren't many FA's like that and he now has less cap room to work with.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
My wish for the draft would be for a blue chip player to fall to us at any position except QB or OLB(I still have high hopes for Perry). Even if it was a receiver which most would say we don't need. Of course, this is assuming the rest of the draft goes normal or better for TT.
Bigbyfan
11 years ago

See.. and I thought for a second year player, Smith was giving us that boost as a coverage backer. Personally, I am really high on the rotation of Hawk, Bishop and Smith. I think with a bit more seasoning, Smith may become that an excellent player for this team and scheme.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I believe he can be a good player too. My only issue is that he is a bit undersized for the position, which seems to be an issue for a lot of our players.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

I'm not sold on Ellerbe, I think he looks better than he actually is because of the players surrounding him. Playing between Suggs, lewis, Ngata and Reed will make many plays look good. I also don't like his size. I want to see our MLBers run 255-260 with speed. Like Clay in the middle.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.