PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
What is the biggest problem the Schemes, the Talent or Attitude.

I think it is attitude. This team has talent, and we have seen both the offense and defense click. Yet both sides can be so up and down. One week they can come out and run over the opposition, the next they can come out and look like they should be in last place. Only to get pissed off and return on a mission and destroy the opponents. Both sides have leaders, but I don't see a player that has that ability to get the team pumped week in and out.

On defense, Raji, Woodson, Tramon, Hawk, Pickett and Matthews. Great players, work hard, help out the younger guys, and lead, but none of them stand out as emotional leaders. Guys who get in anothers face and jack them up when doing wrong, or pumping them up when they do good. Offense is the same, Rodgers excellent example of leader, with work and dedication. But he keeps himself so much in check during games, the rest of the offense seems to emulate him. And quite possibly McCarthy.

Remember the first couple years of the switch to the 3-4 and the first years of Matthews. Kevin Greene running and bouncing around, his actions and attitude seemed contagious especially with Clay. I remember how Brett, on the field, getting in the face of defenders like Sapp, how the energy and expression he showed trickled down to those around him. How Reggie without have to be loud and boistrous, got the energy flowing in that defense. Where or who are the guys that could do that for this team going forward.

Has this team as a whole assumed the demenor of McCarthy, Thompson and Capers to somewhat of a detriment. I just don't see the energy I once saw with the team. That leader on defense might have been Nick. But if they can find one or two guys to stand up and get both sides of the ball energized next year, look out.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I think you might have something here. But we sure could use an influx of some talent also. We are questionable at RB at best, we haven't replaced Collins, center is nothing more than adequate, O tackles are health questions, we have no good DEs, Woody has slipped so we could use a corner with size, who knows what's going to happen at TE, an elite receiver would be outstanding, we need a good ILB and OLB(finger crossed for Bishop and Perry), but we have one of the best QBs in the league so that'a a good start.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
11 years ago
I would agree that this has more impact as well.. we seem to be flat often. Some of that comes down from Mike McCarthy as well.. being calm and well measured has its place most of the time in this life.. but sometimes, you just have to come bat shit unglued.

I think as well, that some of the offenses problem was how over the course of the season, Aaron became wore down and less fiery.. probably just trying to make it through with the toll of injuries. Over the second half of the season he didn't seem to be having fun. Sometimes caught on the sidelines, he had that ho hum attitude in place of his generally intense one. Also on the field, he seems spent in place of his smiling and somewhat jovial nature. I think that carried over to the offensive performance. I think the last completely plugged in game was the Texan game.

Anyway.. I agree we lack the emotional leaders. We talked about it in the preseason.. and we are still talking abou it now. Bishop may have been one.. I still believe in time, Worthy might become one. Someone that fires them up and demands it remain there.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
11 years ago
Trenches.

PUMP, PUMP PUMP the trenches. Make our QB comfy, not the other one.
RajiRoar
11 years ago

Anyway.. I agree we lack the emotional leaders. We talked about it in the preseason.. and we are still talking abou it now. Bishop may have been one.. I still believe in time, Worthy might become one. Someone that fires the up and demands it remain there.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

when they came here to Seattle, Worthy really stood out as a guy who was getting pumped up for the game, me and my fellows all noticed. The guy was all over the place.

in a good way.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
macbob
11 years ago
I've been becoming less and less enamored with MM's offensive scheme.

I'm tired of the lip service that Mike McCarthy provides on running the ball. No, I don't want our offense to be primarily a running game, not with the way the rules favor the passing game. But at the same time, we can't afford to go one-dimensional, allow the defensive backs to concentrate solely on covering their man and allow the DL to tee off on the QB. We need to make the safeties, etc at least think twice (or even once, dammit) about having to honor that fake handoff and give our receivers some help in getting separation.

I thought our offensive performance in the 49ers game was night and day from the first half to the second (and similarly, but in reverse, I thought the same about the Seahawks game earlier in the season).

a) Too many plays from the shotgun, not enough under center. Running from a regular formation helps your play action passing game. However, you have to run plays from under center to get this benefit—shotgun formation diminishes your running game's ability to help your passing game, reducing it to a draw play.

First half of the 49ers game we had a much better split than the second half: 22 plays the first half, 12 were shotgun and 10 were under center. 38 plays the second half, 33 shotgun, 5 under center.

b) Too many of our running plays are draw plays out of the shotgun formation. 8 of the 13 runs during the game were run from the shotgun. There IS a difference—Dujuan Harris' 18 yd TD run in the first half was NOT from the shotgun.

c) And there are just too many times where Mike McCarthy abandons the run and our offense struggles. 1st half of the Seahawks game, 27 out of 30 plays were passing plays and we scored 0 pts. 2nd half of the 49ers game—4 running plays and over 30 passes—we scored 3 pts until a score in the last minute during garbage time with the game out of reach.

Frankly, I was worried during our first possession when Mike McCarthy called 3 passing plays and we went 3 and out. The only one of the 3 we completed was the first play, which was the only one of the 3 not from the shotgun. But I thought Mike McCarthy called a good first half after that: Dujuan Harris ran the ball 9 times in the first half, gained 47 yds (over 5 yards per carry). Run/pass ratio was pretty good (9 runs, 13 passes), though 4 of the 9 runs were from the shotgun.

The offense moved the ball pretty well the first half, scoring TDs two of the four times we had the ball (the punt after our first 3 and out and an interception ended the other two). If it weren't for a muffed punt we'd have been winning at half time.

In the second half, Harris carried the ball on the first two plays and gained 3 yards each carry. His final stats at the end of the game were 11 carries for 53 yards (4.8 yds/carry).

That's right—the last time Harris ran the ball were those first two plays of the second half. (note: both were from the shotgun)

Next series, Randall Cobb gained 26 yards on two carries, both from the shotgun. Those two carries were our last running plays of the game.

For those who would argue that we were behind and needed to pass to catch up in the 49ers game: the series where Cobb carried the ball was the one where we kicked a field goal to tie the game after having driven down to the 49ers 15 yard line.

49ers went down the field the next series and took a 31-24 lead.

There was over 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, we're down by 1 score, and never run the ball again.

First series we ran 6 plays out of the shotgun formation, all passes. First two were incomplete. We got a first down on a 17 yard scramble by Aaron Rodgers on 3rd and 10. The next 3 plays netted all of 4 yards.

The defense continued their collapse, and the next series we gave up another TD. With the score now 38-24 had no choice but to pass the rest of the way.

Yes, the defense deserved a lot of blame for the loss. But Mike McCarthy didn't help them out at all offensively in the second half.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Defense Rankings (of who played atleast 25% snaps) from ProFootballFocus - link  to how they grade.

3 - 4 DE out of 32
[list]
  • 7th B.J. Raji
  • 13th Mike Neal
  • 32nd Jerel Worthy[/list]

• 3 - 4 OLB out of 34
    [list]
  • 2nd Clay Matthews
  • 28th Dezman Moses
  • 34th Erik Walden[/list]

• DT/NT out of 85
    [list]
  • 37th Ryan Pickett[/list]

• ILB out of 53
    [list]
  • 10th Brad Jones
  • 20th A.J. Hawk
  • 28th D.J. Smith[/list]

• CB out of 113
    [list]
  • 3rd Casey Hayward
  • 12th Sam Shields
  • 40th Davon House
  • 60th Tramon Williams[/list]

• S out of 88
    [list]
  • 17th Morgan Burnett
  • 32nd Jerron McMillian
  • 37th Charles Woodson
  • [*]50th M.D. Jennings[/list]
    UserPostedImage
    DakotaT
    11 years ago

Defense Rankings (of who played atleast 25% snaps) from ProFootballFocus

3 - 4 DE out of 32
    [list]

• 7th B.J. Raji
  • 13th Mike Neal

• 3 - 4 OLB out of 34
    [list]
  • 2nd Clay Matthews
  • 28th Dezman Moses

• DT/NT out of 85
    [list]

• ILB out of 53
    [list]
  • 10th Brad Jones
  • 20th A.J. Hawk
  • 28th D.J. Smith[/list]

• CB out of 113
    [list]
  • 3rd Casey Hayward
  • 12th Sam Shields
  • 40th Davon House

• S out of 88
    [list]
  • 17th Morgan Burnett
  • 32nd Jerron McMillian
  • 37th Charles Woodson
  • 50th M.D. Jennings[/list]

• Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Your stats tell me that we are weak up the guts. The biggest problem with this team is that we lose the time of possession battle against good teams because our offensive line and running backs are subpar. Improve the running back position and run blocking - and the defense will automatically get better by being fresher. Oh, and improve the linebacking corp as well.
    UserPostedImage
    RajiRoar
    11 years ago

Defense Rankings (of who played atleast 25% snaps) from ProFootballFocus

3 - 4 DE out of 32
    [list]

• 7th B.J. Raji
  • 13th Mike Neal

• 3 - 4 OLB out of 34
    [list]
  • 2nd Clay Matthews
  • 28th Dezman Moses

• DT/NT out of 85
    [list]

• ILB out of 53
    [list]
  • 10th Brad Jones
  • 20th A.J. Hawk
  • 28th D.J. Smith[/list]

• CB out of 113
    [list]
  • 3rd Casey Hayward
  • 12th Sam Shields
  • 40th Davon House

• S out of 88
    [list]
  • 17th Morgan Burnett
  • 32nd Jerron McMillian
  • 37th Charles Woodson
  • 50th M.D. Jennings[/list]

• Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

what exatly is this ranking?

MintBaconDrivel
    Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
    TheKanataThrilla
    11 years ago
    Why is Capers always upstairs and not on the field? I think it would certainly help if the Defensive Coordinator actually had the ability to get in some of his guys faces and talk to them like men during the game.
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.