11 years ago
I thought this was interesting.

2007, 13-3, lost in playoffs to superbowl winner
2008, 6-10, transitional year
2009, 11-5, lost in playoffs to previous years NFC superbowl team
2010, 10-6, won superbowl
2011, 15-1, lost in playoffs to superbowl winner
2012, 11-5, lost in playoffs to NFC superbowl team

Since 2007, the packers have either won the superbowl or have lost in the playoffs to the NFC team that went on to play in the superbowl in all but two seasons. In one of those season, they lost to the NFC team who was represented the NFC in the superbowl the year before, and the other season, they had a horrid defense and were lead by a first year QB.

Its easy to sit back and find things to complain about this time of year, and certainly there are a lot of heartbreaking losses on this list, but you have to give GB's front office, coaching staff, etc credit for putting the team in a position to compete year in and year out. That's not something you can say for the majority of teams in the league.
blank
rabidgopher04
11 years ago
To be considered elite they will need to get over the hump and beat these teams. While it's exciting to be competitive each year, and better than what fans of most teams experience, the goal is to win the SB. Anything less is a disappointment.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
dfosterf
11 years ago
13 time world champions. I have witnessed 7 of them.

That list I find unacceptable.

We are THE small market team. We must remember we are in it to win it. WE own this team. It is enough, if we just remind us to hold these corporate fucks to our values. They forget so very fast. Mark Murphy can kma if he can't deliver a SB, notwithstanding his bullshit about atriums and scoreboards and such.

Signed,

OWNER, Green Bay Packers

dfosterf

😍
RajiRoar
11 years ago
playoffs are nice, but we have been flat embarrassed the last 2 times..

I'm not too fond of the Cards game either.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
The Packers are not an elite team and I don't think they will be under this regime. I think the coaching staff is too stubborn to make the necessary adjustments to win consistently in the playoffs. They lack a killer instinct to put teams away. And they let inferior teams hang around and in some cases let them win.

The Packers are a top 10 team in the NFL, but they are not elite. Elite teams don't get embarrassed at home in the playoffs and surely elite teams do not let a QB run for 170+ of his 181 before even once laying a hand on him. To his credit, Dom Capers did try to contain, he did try a spy (three actually at different times) and he just couldn't stop him.

I went into the last few seasons with hopes of a Super Bowl contention ... now ... I'm thankful for the wins, the division championships but have realized Aaron Rodgers no longer respects his coach and the team is drifting away.

There needs to be changes and the changes needed are against the grain the Packers have exhibited over Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's careers with the Packers.

Sit back, enjoy the division championships while they last.
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
11 years ago

The Packers are not an elite team and I don't think they will be under this regime. I think the coaching staff is too stubborn to make the necessary adjustments to win consistently in the playoffs. They lack a killer instinct to put teams away. And they let inferior teams hang around and in some cases let them win.

The Packers are a top 10 team in the NFL, but they are not elite. Elite teams don't get embarrassed at home in the playoffs and surely elite teams do not let a QB run for 170+ of his 181 before even once laying a hand on him. To his credit, Dom Capers did try to contain, he did try a spy (three actually at different times) and he just couldn't stop him.

I went into the last few seasons with hopes of a Super Bowl contention ... now ... I'm thankful for the wins, the division championships but have realized Aaron Rodgers no longer respects his coach and the team is drifting away.

There needs to be changes and the changes needed are against the grain the Packers have exhibited over Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's careers with the Packers.

Sit back, enjoy the division championships while they last.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Interesting sentiment. I know people on this board were praising MM's killer instinct and the genius of Ted Thompson when we won the Super Bowl. Would you say that is an anomaly? Are you also suggesting that Mike McCarthy needs to go?

What evidence do you have the ARod no longer respects his coach? This is the first I have heard that contention. Not trying to flame, just want to understand your perspective.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Interesting sentiment. I know people on this board were praising MM's killer instinct and the genius of Ted Thompson when we won the Super Bowl. Would you say that is an anomaly? Are you also suggesting that Mike McCarthy needs to go?

What evidence do you have the ARod no longer respects his coach? This is the first I have heard that contention. Not trying to flame, just want to understand your perspective.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Dec 17th 2012, Aaron Rodgers says "Just not a very intelligent call at that point in the game." regarding the fake punt while leading by only 8 points late in the game.

Remember Aaron Rodgers jumping and yelling in the face of Mike McCarthy after he threw the red flag for a review on a play that is automatically reviewed?

Some will say oh that is just his passion or hey at least he is honest. Fact of the matter, you can be honest and show passion without disrespecting your coach.

There have been other things he's done and said on his weekly radio show that indicate he either does not like him, or respect him or perhaps both.

Folks can continue to make excuses and laugh at things like this, but you, me or someone else does these things, or gets bent out of shape over losing a card game ... nearly all will point to them as flaws in character, where when it's Aaron Rodgers ... we hear "oh he is SUCH a competitor!!"

Edit, forgot to address your McCarthy comments. If 2013 resembles 2012 or 2011 in the playoffs, HE or the defensive coordinator need to be changed. 2010 was an anomaly, yes. I loved every bit of it too! But 2009, 2011 and 2012 ended quite similarly and little has been done to ensure it won't happen again.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

playoffs are nice, but we have been flat embarrassed the last 2 times..

I'm not too fond of the Cards game either.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

That. It's one thing to lose by a touchdown or two in a tough game with an eventual super bowl winner, but the last two times this happened (if you assume SF is going to win it all this year) it's been flat-out ugly. Cardinals game was ugly too, but at least it was ugly on both sides.

I know every team will be disappointed somewhat if they don't win it all and we should be somewhat proud that we're perennial contenders, but it would be a massive disappointment if we didn't get another SB victory or even reach the SB again in the next 5 years or so. So while it's not the end of the world that we didn't make it to the big game this year and it was nice to at least win ONE postseason game unlike last year, at some point this team needs to be able to squeak out big games against a top 3 team when it really matters. Because if you want to be #1, you need to be able to beat everyone else.
earthquake
11 years ago
If the Packer's aren't elite in the last 5-6 years, who is?

The Patriots? Sure they get to the playoffs almost every year, and have been to the superbowl twice, but they haven't won it since 2004.
The Steelers? They haven't won the SB since 2008, and have not been a good team since losing to GB in 2010.
The Giants? They have been largely inconsistent missing the playoffs 3 times in the same time frame, despite two superbowl wins.
The Ravens? They've been at the cusp for seemingly the last decade, only now getting over the hump after their SB win following the 2000 season.
The Colts? A SB win over a Rex Grossman lead bears team does not make anyone elite.

As fans of the greatest franchise in the league its awesome to have high expectations, but at some point you have to be realistic as well.

Who are these mythical "elite" teams if GB isn't one of them? They don't exist, that's the reality. If anyone doesn't think the packers have been elite over the last 5-6 years, give me your list of teams that have been better.
blank
Porforis
11 years ago

If the Packer's aren't elite in the last 5-6 years, who is?

The Patriots? Sure they get to the playoffs almost every year, and have been to the superbowl twice, but they haven't won it since 2004.
The Steelers? They haven't won the SB since 2005, and have not been a good team since losing to GB in 2010.
The Giants? They have been largely inconsistent missing the playoffs 3 times in the same time frame, despite two superbowl wins.
The Ravens? They've been at the cusp for seemingly the last decade, only now getting over the hump after their SB win following the 2000 season.
The Colts? A SB win over a Rex Grossman lead bears team does not make anyone elite.

As fans of the greatest franchise in the league its awesome to have high expectations, but at some point you have to be realistic as well.

Who are these mythical "elite" teams if GB isn't one of them? They don't exist, that's the reality. If anyone doesn't think the packers have been elite over the last 5-6 years, give me your list of teams that have been better.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

It really depends on your definition of "elite". In my mind, that says top 3. Nobody's been top 3 most of the last 5 years except MAYBE the Patriots. That's just the nature of the league, and parity is part of what makes the NFL great.

Would you rather have the Packers make the postseason 10 of the next 10 years, winning an average of 2 games per postseason, or get to the postseason 6 times in the next 10 years and win it all twice? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate what we have or that we're perennially a top 5 team or very close to it, but in the end what matters are super bowls. If we don't win anything in the next 5 years or so and always hover around the top 5 in the league, are we really elite or just very good?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.