Rockmolder
11 years ago

The Steelers? They haven't won the SB since 2005, and have not been a good team since losing to GB in 2010.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I'm pretty sure the Steelers beat the Cardinals after the 2008 season in SB XLIII.

It really depends on your definition of "elite". In my mind, that says top 3. Nobody's been top 3 most of the last 5 years except MAYBE the Patriots. That's just the nature of the league, and parity is part of what makes the NFL great.

Would you rather have the Packers make the postseason 10 of the next 10 years, winning an average of 2 games per postseason, or get to the postseason 6 times in the next 10 years and win it all twice? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate what we have or that we're perennially a top 5 team or very close to it, but in the end what matters are super bowls. If we don't win anything in the next 5 years or so and always hover around the top 5 in the league, are we really elite or just very good?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

We've recently won a Super Bowl and we're constantly in contention. That would make us elite in my eyes.

It depends on how you label elite, I guess, but behind the Patriots there aren't a whole lot of teams that come close to what we've been doing the last few years.

And looking at it more recently, like earthquake said, the Pats haven't done a whole lot in the SB winning department as of late, either.

I'd say we're elite. I'd say the Pats are elite. If we're just good, though, what would that make the rest of the league?
earthquake
11 years ago

It really depends on your definition of "elite". In my mind, that says top 3. Nobody's been top 3 most of the last 5 years except MAYBE the Patriots. That's just the nature of the league, and parity is part of what makes the NFL great.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

To me, elite is relative to the other teams in the league, not some theoretical standards that nobody meets.

Would you rather have the Packers make the postseason 10 of the next 10 years, winning an average of 2 games per postseason, or get to the postseason 6 times in the next 10 years and win it all twice? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate what we have or that we're perennially a top 5 team or very close to it, but in the end what matters are super bowls. If we don't win anything in the next 5 years or so and always hover around the top 5 in the league, are we really elite or just very good?

Oh absolutely, I would rather GB make the playoffs 3 times and win the SB each time than make it 10 times in the next 10 years with no SB wins. No question. I would take the Giant's 2 SB wins in the last 5 years over GB's extra playoff appearances as well. My point is that every team that you would reasonably consider elite has its warts, just like GB.

I'm pretty sure the Steelers beat the Cardinals after the 2008 season in SB XLIII.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Thanks for catching that, dumb mistake on my part.
blank
Porforis
11 years ago

To me, elite is relative to the other teams in the league, not some theoretical standards that nobody meets

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

You set the timeframe, the fact that no single team's going to be consistently elite over a 10 year period doesn't mean that my definition of "elite" is invalid (not to say that you were saying it was). You defined elite by using elite in the definition, which doesn't really explain things well. So would you say top 5? Top 7? Some other metric? Top 3 was just my opinion, just curious about yours. My GUESS is that most people would define it as top 5, admittedly my own standard is pretty stringent.

Oh absolutely, I would rather GB make the playoffs 3 times and win the SB each time than make it 10 times in the next 10 years with no SB wins. No question. I would take the Giant's 2 SB wins in the last 5 years over GB's extra playoff appearances as well. My point is that every team that you would reasonably consider elite has its warts, just like GB.

There we agree, and I also agree that it's easy to find things to bitch about this time of year. We're spoiled rotten at QB, top 5 in receiving targets, and pretty good at CB with an elite LB and arguably punter. All things considered we're very lucky.

gbguy20
11 years ago
What we need is for aaron rodgers to tell mccarthy to stop calling plays and just let him be peyton manning. then we need to beat the quick throws into aaron's head.
Porforis
11 years ago

What we need is for aaron rodgers to tell mccarthy to stop calling plays and just let him be peyton manning. then we need to beat the quick throws into aaron's head.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

If it weren't for McCarthy's excellent challenge record I'd make a joke about letting Jordy Nelson throw the flags for him.
play2win
11 years ago

The Packers are not an elite team and I don't think they will be under this regime. I think the coaching staff is too stubborn to make the necessary adjustments to win consistently in the playoffs. They lack a killer instinct to put teams away. And they let inferior teams hang around and in some cases let them win.

The Packers are a top 10 team in the NFL, but they are not elite. Elite teams don't get embarrassed at home in the playoffs and surely elite teams do not let a QB run for 170+ of his 181 before even once laying a hand on him. To his credit, Dom Capers did try to contain, he did try a spy (three actually at different times) and he just couldn't stop him.

I went into the last few seasons with hopes of a Super Bowl contention ... now ... I'm thankful for the wins, the division championships but have realized Aaron Rodgers no longer respects his coach and the team is drifting away.

There needs to be changes and the changes needed are against the grain the Packers have exhibited over Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's careers with the Packers.

Sit back, enjoy the division championships while they last.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I appreciate your sentiment Zero2Cool. I feel much the same.

I would put them in the top tier of the NFL. Are they "elite" now? No. They've shown themselves to not be competitive with the very best in the league. But, they are close. To me, the Packers lost their "elite" card last year in losing at home to the Giants. It should have never happened.

As a "team," responsibility for our demise and success rests on management first, then trickles down. We've got a decent team, but not a great one that rolls over the competition. SF has that now. No one else seems to have that at this moment. Ravens? We'll have to see, but if they win it all over SF, I will be surprised. I do not consider them the top team in the NFL, but they are close, behind only SF and maybe SEA.

Are the NYG elite? I would consider them to be so, but they didn't even make the playoffs. They've probably suffered the same personnel, coaching, and player gaffes that we did along the way this year. Last year was great until we let up in KC. Why did we do that?

This really points to "killer instinct" and the lack thereof in GB. We don't have it in the front office, clearly, as Ted Thompson is forever leaving his team thin at positions of need, counting on rookie players to perform like Pro Bowl talents. We don't have it in the coaching department, because we are too often unprepared, and too often fail to adjust to an opponent's strengths. We don't have it on the player side with enough consistency. How does one of our top talents, Tramon Williams, not perform better when all the chips are on the table? I was really disappointed in his overall play this season and expected more from him. He is also one of our top paid players. IMO, this is an example of a player not performing with a killer instinct. He played way too soft. Finley must get a mention here as well. You can't just show up in a few games. He had so many missed blocks, whiffs. Took him half a season just to get on the same page with his QB. Greg Jennings seemed to be pouting through most of his last year in a GB uniform. What the hell? Is THAT what he gets paid for? We know better. Raji? I kind of expected him to do more too.

Blame can be assigned all the way down the line. And it is the WHOLE line of personnel that is responsible for our current mess. Thompson needs to get a set and start making some bold moves to better the personnel on his team. There is more to building a team than the draft.

McCarthy has to get a set and start coaching to win, especially the big games. Playing down to the level of lesser teams is inexcusable. Laying down to superior teams even moreso. How are his players often taking the field looking unprepared? 181 yds rushing by a QB? Not to mention another 100 by their RB? Unacceptable. Dom Capers can try to spy Kaepernick with my grandma, but that isn't going to work either. Seems Ted left our D way too thin, in spite of 6 draftees on that side of the ball.

Our players need to get a set and put themselves in a position where they are competitive, game in and game out, with the best teams in the league. Play their best. No mailing it in. Not for a single play.

I would add only one thing, and that is how do we recapture a home field advantage in Green Bay? Something has been lost. Is the venue itself too friendly to opposing teams? Seems so. It has gone so far the other way, that it is almost a disadvantage. Something has to change there as well, if we want to be contenders, elite.
doddpower
11 years ago
The Packers are an "elite" team by most peoples standards, and even if they aren't as of this moment, they are very, very close. The Patriots are almost unanimously considered elite, but they just got beat down by the Ravens. Does that mean they are no longer elite? No, not really, they just had a bad day against a hot team that player very well. It happens. Are the Falcons elite? If not they are on the brink too, and the Packers are every bit as talented personnel wise as they are (although they do have much better coaching). The 49'ers are elite, but they have personnel like no other team in the NFL has. They had several mediocre or losing seasons which afforded them higher draft picks to stock talent and they did a good job of doing so. Even with more talent than most teams, it took the right set of coaches to utilize it the past two seasons. Make no mistake, the 49'er's quantity of talent is rare, especially mixed with such great coaching. Now that their team is winning, they will have late draft picks and their players and staff will start being picked apart for other jobs just like every other great team, and it will be a great challenge for them to maintain their success (I'm not saying they won't, but it's going to be incredibly difficult to maintain that type of talent). They have also been very fortunate the past two seasons in staying remarkably healthy. How that is the case, I really don't know. It's obviously a lot to do with luck, but it seems there would have to be at least a little something more to it. Either way, health plays a big factor in their success and they have been very healthy over the past two seasons relative to the Packers (and most other teams). This season alone, the Packers were without their last three first round draft picks for a good part of the season and playoffs, not to mention many key injuries elsewhere. It happens, and for the most part, I think the team responded well to most the injuries. Imagine the 49'er's without two of their elite offensive linemen (Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis) and Aldon Smith (or any other combination of recent 1st round picks). It would likely substantially affect them. The Ravens are loaded with some of the best talent in the league and have great coaching. They are also riding the emotional wave of a one-of-a-kind player in Ray Lewis. His influence cannot be overstated. Ray Rice said after the game "This is all for Ray [Lewis]. We're doing this all for him." I understand that's likely an overstatement, but still, a rare player like that can make a whole team play better. He won't be around after this season, and Ed Reed is nearing the end of his career. At that point, I think the Packers can compete with them so long as the Packers coaches were disciplined.

The Packers just need to get healthy, add a few pieces, and their Super Bowl chances will be almost as good as any other team. One thing that I think needs some serious improvement is offensive balance. The defense will be OK if they can stay somewhat healthy, players continue to develop, and a few more pieces are added this off season. However, the offense has to consistently find more balance and a lot of the blame for that can be placed on Mike McCarthy. Aaron Rodgers needs more help. He is likely the best QB in the league, but he still can't do it all himself. They were able to maintain some nice balance at times, but they too quickly got away from it. McCarthy has to have more discipline than that, just like the 49'er's did in the 2013 NFC Championship game.

A great off season (draft and free agency), player development, and better coaching will put the Packers right back in contention for a Super Bowl. All of those things are achievable, and I expect that to happen. Are they unquestionable favorites? No, but they don't have to be to be Champions.
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
I would have to say they are an Elite team. The base of this team, is the ability to win the division and make the playoffs each year. That is really what you hope for in a team. When you have that, it only takes a couple things to fall right for the elite to become SB Champs. The 2010 SB team, wasn't any more talented, or better than the last two years. They just had some things fall into place where the others didn't.

Barring injuries, the team is legitimately 2 players away from being dominant. One Olineman, and one on the defensive front that can force pressure. We were the 5th youngest team, and our youth has experience most teams don't.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
rabidgopher04
11 years ago

Barring injuries, the team is legitimately 2 players away from being dominant. One Olineman, and one on the defensive front that can force pressure. We were the 5th youngest team, and our youth has experience most teams don't.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I would like to see Ted do something other than nothing to address the D-line. I would like to see him go after a free agent. There's a few good ones out there that could make even a slight difference for this team.

Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
play2win
11 years ago

I would have to say they are an Elite team. The base of this team, is the ability to win the division and make the playoffs each year. That is really what you hope for in a team. When you have that, it only takes a couple things to fall right for the elite to become SB Champs. The 2010 SB team, wasn't any more talented, or better than the last two years. They just had some things fall into place where the others didn't.

Barring injuries, the team is legitimately 2 players away from being dominant. One O lineman, and one on the defensive front that can force pressure. We were the 5th youngest team, and our youth has experience most teams don't.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Oh no. I disagree on the talent end (not to be argumentative at all, but I think this is a common misconception). The 2010 team was FAR more talented. Cullen Jenkins, Nick Collins, Des Bishop, Scott Wells, Chad Clifton, Darren College. Woodson in his prime. Howard Green.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. We've been losing some really big games in the trenches since that SB win. Our DL was Raji, Pickett and Jenkins... with Howard Green as a backup? We had Wilson then too! That's big. We've replaced Jenkins and Green with what exactly? Our OL was also big, and experienced. They weren't the best, but they were big and experienced, and had played together a long time. Who have we replaced those veteran starters with?

We've had nothing close on either line since.

Seems we've lost quite a bit of talent, especially when you throw Nick Collins in there, along with the decline of Woodson through age and injury, and the loss of Bish to injury.

if Ted Thompson wants to continue his draft and develop strategy, I guess we have to ask, will Rodgers get an opportunity to win another SB? It is a team game, and you have to have the talent across the board. I appreciate how good the overall depth of his team is, but it is severely lacking in blue chip starters on both lines. To me, we have 2. Sitton, and Pickett. Raji has regressed himself out of that category. ZERO sacks? Really? Not one?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.