PackerTraxx
11 years ago
It would be hard to get anyone better than Raji unless we got lucky, very lucky in the draft. I'm with the above that we need some talent around him and he will be OK. A little more depth wouldn't hurt either. The one spot where we might be able to draft a high talent is inside LB because they aren't valued highly, the same with center. It would really help us to get more physical, stronger up the center on both sides of the ball.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
steveishere
11 years ago
The best ways to get a top talent on the interior defensive line positions are to either draft really high or develop a guy that you did draft. Most of the better defensive lineman take a couple years to get where they are (unless they are high draft picks) it's not like RB and WR positions where guys can usually come in lighting it up. So many people seem to expect guys to come in tearing it up as a rookie and act like the guys not going to be any good if he doesn't. It doesn't usually work that way and it's not really a position where you can get a "quick fix".
play2win
11 years ago
All the more reason to target a player, and either trade for him or sign him in FA.

steve, based on what you are saying, we can't really expect an upgrade on our DL except through further developing the players we have. Take away Pickett and Raji, and we don't really have much. Neal did improve, but still disappeared as a true force to deal with on our DL. Worthy did much the same, but it was his rookie year, and now there are questions about whether he may be able to return for 2013. I liked Daniels a lot, but his size does seem to limit him at this level. Wilson? He was alright against the run, but did any offense that we played have to game plan for him? No.

I say we add veteran talent AND some picks on DL if we hope to improve our defense. If we don't, yeah, maybe we can continue to enjoy division crowns... maybe. That is not for me.

We need a starting DE, and quality backups at DE, NT and DT. That's 4 players.
steveishere
11 years ago
Who are you thinking they can trade for? I don't ever see many great interior defenders available or changing hands in trades. There aren't any great interior defenders in FA this year either. So yeah if there is a defensive line improvement it'll likely come from players already on the team or a steal from the draft.
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago

Who are you thinking they can trade for? I don't ever see many great interior defenders available or changing hands in trades. There aren't any great interior defenders in FA this year either. So yeah if there is a defensive line improvement it'll likely come from players already on the team or a steal from the draft.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Now you screwed up. You introduced reality into this conversation. Trade happy fans prefer to believe that if Ted would just offer a 7th round pick, we could have JJ Watt on our line.
earthquake
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Now you're trying to bring logic into this. Its the offseason and play2win is posting on the internet, that can only mean one thing: awesome trades are out there, just ripe for the picking.

Don't bring up the fact that teams very rarely if ever trade promising, young, talented players, or that more often then not, the only players who are up for trade are Mal-contents, players who are underachieving for thier contracts, or players who would cost a ridiculous amount picks to get(most players are available for trade if you want to do a Hershel walker).

When was the last time anyone remembers a notable dlineman being traded?

Jarred Allen, fresh off 2 DUI's for a 1st and 2 3rds, which seemed like a lot at the time for player who couldn't keep out of trouble. In hindsight it was a good deal for the Vikings.

Richard Seymour for a 1st to the raiders.

Anyone else?
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Now you screwed up. You introduced reality into this conversation. Trade happy fans prefer to believe that if Ted would just offer a 7th round pick, we could have JJ Watt on our line.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

deal. I will call Houston and get it lined up

tomorrow.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Really? Who?

Trades still happen for quality, serviceable veteran players in the NFL. Here are a few from the 2012 season:

Asante Samuel worked out pretty well for ATL, for only a 7th round pick. 5 INTs. Vontae Davis worked out well for IND, for a 2013 R2 + a 2013 conditional pick. 3 INTs and 1 sack in 10 games played. Aqib Talib seemed to work as a late in season trade for NE, who needed a CB. 1 INT in 6 games played. They traded a 4th round pick for him.

Brandon Marshall and DeMeco Ryans both contributed well for CHI and PHI respectively.

The year before, CAR stole Greg Olsen from CHI for a R3. Almost 1400 yds and 10 TDs since. MIA stole Reggie Bush from NO for FS Jonathon Amaya. Bush amassed over 2000 yds and 12 TDs for the Fish since that 2011 trade.

Can someone please tell me how Chris Clemons is working out in SEA? Traded in 2010 by PHI for Darrell Tapp.

How about 11.5 sacks and 3 FFs in the 2012 season? Would that work in GB? Clemons has had 33.5 sacks total for SEA since that trade!!! Over 11 sacks per year!

Trades don't always work. Only a few really do. But, we could stand to find one that works for us in GB, and you're not going to get one that works if you don't try. I also stated we could add a veteran via FA. Bigger point, we need to add BOTH veteran and draft talent to this team. Somehow.

I would venture to say, if we had traded for Clemons in 2010, we might have been looking to 3-peat this Sunday.
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago

Really? Who?

Trades still happen for quality, serviceable veteran players in the NFL. Here are a few from the 2012 season:

Asante Samuel worked out pretty well for ATL, for only a 7th round pick. 5 INTs. Vontae Davis worked out well for IND, for a 2013 R2 + a 2013 conditional pick. 3 INTs and 1 sack in 10 games played. Aqib Talib seemed to work as a late in season trade for NE, who needed a CB. 1 INT in 6 games played. They traded a 4th round pick for him.

Brandon Marshall and DeMeco Ryans both contributed well for CHI and PHI respectively.

The year before, CAR stole Greg Olsen from CHI for a R3. Almost 1400 yds and 10 TDs since. MIA stole Reggie Bush from NO for FS Jonathon Amaya. Bush amassed over 2000 yds and 12 TDs for the Fish since that 2011 trade.

Can someone please tell me how Chris Clemons is working out in SEA? Traded in 2010 by PHI for Darrell Tapp.

How about 11.5 sacks and 3 FFs in the 2012 season? Would that work in GB? Clemons has had 33.5 sacks total for SEA since that trade!!! Over 11 sacks per year!

Trades don't always work. Only a few really do. But, we could stand to find one that works for us in GB, and you're not going to get one that works if you don't try. I also stated we could add a veteran via FA. Bigger point, we need to add BOTH veteran and draft talent to this team. Somehow.

I would venture to say, if we had traded for Clemons in 2010, we might have been looking to 3-peat this Sunday.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I believe that Talib is a UFA now. So NE traded a 4th rd pick for someone that would give them 6 games. And you think that is a good justification to make trades?

Vontae Davis- basically the same thing only it is a 2 yr deal. They gave up a 2nd rd draft pick to have Davis for 2 years. But not even 2 full years as he missed 6 games this year. The Packers used a #2 for Casey Heyward this year. Would you rather have Casey Heyward for 4 years or Vontae Davis for 2? Because that's the choice when trades are made. In 1 year, the Colts will have nothing to show for that #2 pick. We will have Heyward heading into his 3rd year.

Marshall's been traded twice. He has put up big numbers everywhere he has been. But for some reason, teams are willing to part with him. You say Carolina stole Olsen, but the 3rd rd pick the Bears got for Olsen was half of the trade cost of Marshall. Would you rather have Marshall or Olsen?

Trades can work. We got a QB named Favre in a trade. ATL was excited to get rid of him. Most of the time, the team trading off a player is happy. Why is that?
play2win
11 years ago
NE saw the value of trading a R4 pick for a starting calibre CB midseason to carry them through to the playoffs after an injury. That is entirely reasonable.

Vontae Davis is a decent, young CB, a team need to start the season, and they got a 3 year starter who amassed 9 INTs over those first 3 years. Ted struck gold with the Hayward pick at the end of R2.

I'd rather have Olsen, but Cutler probably felt differently. The larger point there is CHI swung TWO trades. Your statement was a BS jab, but that's OK I guess. Ignore away on the Samuel and Clemons trades.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.