wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

Also, this article only compares the Packers O-linemen, than draws the conclusion that they need new guys because some did worse than others. John Madden and I would be willing to go out on a limb (a fairly stout one though) and say that that is true of most any football team ever/anywhere. In short, it doesn't mean much if it isn't comparing them to other linemen in the league. Not to say the conclusion is wrong (because it may very well be correct), just that the method of reaching it isn't.

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

some of problems with amateur columnists. They don't typically have all the resources they need to substantiate their claims. Nor are they always as articulate as we would like them to be.

I usually pass up posting these kinds of articles but since we have been discussing the OL and draft needs I thought I would toss this one onto the pile.
UserPostedImage
porky88
11 years ago
This seems to place only an emphasis on pass protection and penalties. What about run blocking? Being a good pass protector does not equate to run blocking. The two aren't mutually exclusive. For example, Jeff Saturday was a bad run blocker this year. He couldn't get to the next level because he didn't move well. That's among the reasons they made the move to EDS. These figures paint a much brighter picture of Saturday.

There's no doubt Green Bay needs to improve the talent on the offensive line, but based on history, they have three starters that are competent or capable of playing at a high level. Those are T.J. Lang, Josh Sitton, and Bryan Bulaga. The latter was rock solid in 2011, and better than advertised this season with the exception of the Seattle game. That game leads to an inflated 16-game projection. Takeaway that game and Bulaga has a reasonable projection for a right tackle.

Identify the weakness and correct it. The weak link is center and especially left tackle. Many grade Newhouse on a curve for reasons that confuse me. In this offense, though, left tackle is the second most important position. That problem needs to be rectified.
Dulak
11 years ago

The first thing that comes to my mind is that the numbers are skewed because the sacks usually come from the edge not the center of the line. So, as an example, Barclay with 14 may have actually done much better than Lang with 12. Without knowing who they're actually assigned to block it's impossible to tell.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

ya I thought the same thing - most prime time rushers are those on the outside; really good DEs or OLBs - and those guys are all taking on a tackle (usually). Not that I dont think our Oline needs a look at.

Also as some has suggested we (rodgers) needs more practice at the quick drop off and not holding the ball too long ...

and maybe a better RB might help keep the teams off him a bit. Someone bigger that can block and can also run.
olds70supreme
11 years ago

some of problems with amateur columnists. They don't typically have all the resources they need to substantiate their claims. Nor are they always as articulate as we would like them to be.

I usually pass up posting these kinds of articles but since we have been discussing the OL and draft needs I thought I would toss this one onto the pile.

Yeah, who am I kidding? I'll read anything and everything remotely Packer related from the end of the season until the start of the next.
blank
nerdmann
11 years ago
We're stacked at the position imo.

LT: Sherrod, Datko
LG: Lang, Barclay, Van Roten, EDS
C: Player to be acquired, Lang, EDS
RG: Sitton, Barclay. Van Roten, EDS
LT: Bulaga, Newhouse
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago

LT: Sherrod, Newhouse, Datko- PS
LG: Lang, Barclay, EDS, Van Roten-PS
C: EDS, Player to be drafted, Lang
RG: Sitton, Barclay, EDS, Van Roten-PS
RT: Bulaga, Barclay, Newhouse

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

pretty close. I fixed it for you. Including having only one side listed as "LT" [grin1]

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

LT: Sherrod, Datko
LG: Lang, Barclay, Van Roten, EDS
C: Player to be acquired, Lang, EDS
RG: Sitton, Barclay. Van Roten, EDS
LT: Bulaga, Newhouse

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Say whut?

Sitton is a stud.
Beyond that...

We're still operating primarily on the "potential" theory. The same thing that led people to say we were fine with false-start-Cliffie, that Lang had the potential to play OT, that Mrs. Colledge and Mark Spitz were going to be good enough, etc.

We have one stud, and a bunch of guys that are serviceable on their good days and are young enough that may have potential to develop into more.

We're stacked only in the poker sense of being short-stacked.

And we're hoping we can still beat Brunson, Moneymaker, and Ungar.

The only reason I"m not calling "OL OL OL" in my usual way is that, unfortunately, GB also has pretty serious needs on both DL and LB, too.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Say whut?

Sitton is a stud.
Beyond that...

We're still operating primarily on the "potential" theory. The same thing that led people to say we were fine with false-start-Cliffie, that Lang had the potential to play OT, that Mrs. Colledge and Mark Spitz were going to be good enough, etc.

We have one stud, and a bunch of guys that are serviceable on their good days and are young enough that may have potential to develop into more.

We're stacked only in the poker sense of being short-stacked.

And we're hoping we have undeveloped stars that will be able to beat Brunson, Moneymaker, and Ungar.

The only reason I"m not calling "OL OL OL" in my usual way is that, unfortunately, GB also has pretty serious needs on both DL and LB, too.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Wade 

quoting your self with nothing new to add is a sign of sickness. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
11 years ago

quoting your self with nothing new to add is a sign of sickness. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: wpr 

What's worse is when all he does is jazzes up what I said in another thread in the first place. [grin1] If I wanted to do creative writing, I'd make money at it, not waste it on my numbnut buddies.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.