play2win
11 years ago
Just reading Mike Vandermause chat at GBPG, and his sentiments seem to lie along the same lines as the talking points we often hear from Mike McCarthy: "This is a passing league, and with Aaron Rodgers at the controls, you want the ball in his hands."

"Finley would be my top priority. With the loss of Greg Jennings, they still need playmakers, and Finley is one. Or at worst, he opens up the field for others to shine. I know that sounds like an expensive decoy, but his presence makes that offense better."

" Look at 2010, when they won a Super Bowl title with James Starks as their primary ball carrier. That's proof you don't need a top-flight back to win it all."
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/interactive/article/20130129/PKR01/301300111/Mike-Vandermause-s-chat-What-will-Thompson-do-next- 

I look around at the where the NFL currently sits, and most importantly, the power in the NFL, and it doesn't seem to point to PASSING. Two of the top 11 RUSHING teams are in the Super Bowl. None of the top 11 passing teams are. Not one of them. BAL is #15. SF is #23. I think that is significant.

While balance appears to be important, it seems to me teams need a rushing heavy game plan to win it all in today's NFL. Frank Gore. Ray Rice. Neither are slouches, but they are not the best in the league.

This company line we've been force fed over the years just doesn't seem to wash with me. Finley is big, but he is not the biggest TE in the NFL, or nothing extraordinary. Finley can be fast, but he certainly is not after the catch. He can't block worth a lick. And Vandermause suggests we can't live without him and should fork over $10M? Really? If he makes everybody so much better, then why is it our team didn't really take off in 2010 until after he went to IR with injury? Does anyone remember the BS flying around prior to his injury, between he and Jennings getting their touches?

I want to see this mentality in Green Bay change. Our skill players at QB and WR are some of the league's best. All we need to do is become more balanced on offense, by running the football more, and with authority. I'd love to see our team become more dedicated to road grading over our opponents with a well practiced/coached, well executed, and confidently called running attack.

It will open EVERYTHING else up, and make winning it all more attainable.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
well it makes sense that when teams load up to pass that the defense will load up to stop it. The offense then has to counter with a strong running game which then will be countered with a stronger run defense. It is a matter of move and counter moves.
More than a question of are they pass or running teams SF and Baltimore are teams that execute and don't make mistakes on offense or defense and that is what wins games. They are both 8th in Turnovers.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
11 years ago
While I do agree that more balance would be good, one year does not make a trend, lets look at yards thrown by the previous few winning SP QBS:
Eli manning: 4933 - also Tom Brady 5,235
Aaron Rodgers: 4643
Drew Brees: 4,388
blank
Pack93z
11 years ago
No it is not a running league.

It is a balance league, over the course of a season and playoffs, teams are going to present options that try and take away one aspect while giving another up. As a team, you have to have the balance to counter punch what they "give up" to force them to play honest and then you can play to your strengths. About once a decade there is a defense that is so dominate that they can smother an offense, but the currently landscape of the NFL, I don't think that defense is out there. 85 Bears, 01 Ravens come to mind.

Example. 49ers post season.

Against us they ran because we tried to take away the middle of the line and played coverage behind it. They exploited our weak edges and ran it down our throats. Atlanta, took away the edges and the Niners exploited the secondary. They are balanced enough (even with Smith at QB) to attack what you give them.. in other words, they can play multiple different ways to beat you.

My opinion, is that we by default are pass happy and try to force our will through the passing game no matter what the defense presents us. In 2011 we were dominate enough to do that most games until someone through pass rush and coverage took it away and we were beaten because we could counter that. This year, we tried to be more balanced, but we still we reluctant to beat teams on the ground, late in the season we could run, I think we should have ran more and help bolster our defense, shorten the game and rely on Rodgers late to win it.

My hope is that we follow the age old saying, pass it to score points, run it to win games. Basically build up the score and be able to run it effectively after that to win the game and rip the oppositions hearts out.

The league is constantly in motion, we call things like the read option revolutionary, but honestly, it is just another variation of days gone past. Zone blocking and man blocking come in and out of "style". 3-4 and 4-3 go back and forth as the dominate defenses.. it is curricular in nature. Teams that win consistently are able to play balanced offense, the can run the ball and set the tone and couple that with a fresher defense that generally ranks high because their offenses control the clock.

The recipe has been around for decades. It isn't the only way to win, but IMO, it is the most consistent and effective way to win.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
doddpower
11 years ago
I think it has everything to do with the the defenses of the two teams this year, mixed with a balanced offense. Defense wins Championships. That's something I've always believed. Baltimore has been banged up this year, but they have been getting healthy recently and play very good defense most of the time. It's obvious the 49'ers have a great defense. Over half of their defensive starters are in the pro-bowl.

porky88
11 years ago
Both Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick are playing at a very high-level. Flacco has 8 TDs to 0 INTs in the postseason. We saw firsthand what Kaepernick did. The trend seems to lend credence to the level of quarterback play. If your quarterback gets hot, then you have a chance to win the Super Bowl.

In other words, it's a quarterback league. Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Eli Manning are the last four quarterbacks from the NFC. Neither player had much of a dominant running game.

The AFC quarterbacks from the same span are Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. I think the same philosophy applies, though Roethlisberger had an amazing defense in ‘08. He also had a very, very good one in ‘10.

Is this year another shift in the ever evolving NFL or is it the rise of two young quarterbacks into the next class?

My guess is the latter, though the Packers place a larger burden on Rodgers than most teams do their respective quarterback. They'd be wise to take some stress off him, and tweaking the running game isn’t a bad place to start.
porky88
11 years ago
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.