Zero2Cool
15 years ago

With one preseason game left and the starters expected to play only a series or two, the focus of Thursday night's contest against Tennessee will be the battles for the last handful of spots on the 53-man roster.

Final cuts must be made by Saturday afternoon, and perhaps this year more than any other in the Ted Thompson-Mike McCarthy era, the Packers will be forced to let go some quality football players who may end up on other teams' rosters before too long.

Here's a quick look at the positions where many of the final roster decisions are unsettled heading into Thursday's game:

Linebacker
[ul]Beyond the top four of Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk, Brady Poppinga and Brandon Chillar, the Packers have three other linebackers - Desmond Bishop, Abdul Hodge and Tracy White - who have proven they're NFL-caliber players.

But how many linebackers the Packers will keep is the key question. Keeping all seven would be a significant departure from the norm, but not out of the question. If the final number is six, it becomes a difficult choice.

Bishop missed the first two preseason games with an Achilles injury but made an impact against Denver, recording three tackles, including one for loss. He and Hodge, who is finally healthy after battling knee problems his first two years, both back up Barnett in the middle, but Bishop has been taking snaps at outside linebacker lately in an effort to test his versatility.

"I think the linebacker position is a position where you can move guys around fairly easily, quite frankly," General Manager Ted Thompson said. "There are certain strengths each player has, but we think both those guys are good players and should factor somewhere."

Meanwhile White is the most veteran player of the bunch and the most accomplished on special teams, which all backup linebackers must be able to play. From scrimmage, he's also played in the goal-line package in the past.[/ul]

Defensive tackle
[ul]The team's deepest position a year ago has been the one most hit by injuries this year. With Justin Harrell now on the reserve/physically unable to perform list and out for at least the first six weeks, it's imperative that Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly get fully healthy.

Those two, along with Colin Cole, seem to be the only veteran locks to make the roster, but more depth is needed. Will Daniel Muir, Conrad Bolston, Alfred Malone or new arrival Rodney Allen make a big statement on Thursday night and lay claim to a backup role? None has stood out statistically in the first three preseason games. Or will this position become last year's running back spot, where Thompson traded for halfback Ryan Grant and claimed fullback John Kuhn off waivers right after the final cutdown?[/ul]

Defensive back
[ul]The No. 4 spot, behind Nick Collins, Atari Bigby and Aaron Rouse, remains unsettled here. Charlie Peprah was off to a great start in camp, throwing his weight around with some big hits, before a hamstring injury sidelined him. He hasn't played in any preseason games and won't play this week, so he'll have to hope his accomplishments on special teams and as a fill-in safety last year hold his spot.

Tyrone Culver came back from spending all of last year in injured reserve with a shoulder injury and has one final opportunity on Thursday to overtake Peprah.

For additional depth, cornerback Jarrett Bush has taken several snaps at safety both in practice and during games, increasing his chances of holding a spot in a talented defensive backfield that includes five virtual roster locks (Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Will Blackmon and Pat Lee) who play strictly cornerback on defense.[/ul]

Wide receiver
[ul]James Jones' sprained knee and uncertain status for the start of the season leave open the possibility that the Packers might keep a sixth receiver as insurance behind Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jones, Ruvell Martin and rookie Jordy Nelson.

But there's really no front-runner right now among the rookie group of Brett Swain, Johnny Quinn, Taj Smith and Jake Allen, creating an opportunity for someone to step forward on Thursday.

"All these young guys are going to play quite a bit," receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. "It's competitive, obviously, between the final positions and practice squad. I don't think any final decisions have been made on anything."

Statistically, it's been a wash thus far, with Quinn and Allen catching three passes apiece in the preseason, and Swain and Smith two each. The longest reception by any of them went for 13 yards, by Quinn.

Special teams contributions are always a factor in these final decisions, but with this rookie group in particular, there's also a need to see who's ready to contribute consistently at this level.

"We just want to see guys come out and make plays, and have a minimum of mistakes," Robinson said. "We're looking to see who can do it, under the big lights, and make plays under the pressure of that situation."[/ul]

Running back
[ul]Like many of the positions mentioned here, this is a numbers question. After Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson, the Packers feel they have quality depth in Vernand Morency, Noah Herron and Kregg Lumpkin, but is there room for five halfbacks? All have shown flashes of productivity in camp and in the preseason games, prompting the release of DeShawn Wynn in the first round of cuts on Monday.

Unlike last year, Morency and Herron are fully healthy, and as fourth-year players they're the elder statesmen in this crew. Lumpkin is the only one who's eligible for the practice squad, but as the team's leading rusher this preseason (28 carries, 126 yards, 1 TD), there's no telling whether he'd clear waivers, and whether the Packers are willing to risk losing him.

"The positive thing is they're all healthy," McCarthy said. "I think a number of them have played as well as I've ever seen them. It's a really good group top to bottom."[/ul]

I think WR is pretty much set with Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin and Nelson.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Here's the question - do we keep an extra RB, 7 LBs, or 6 WRs?

There can be only one answer.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I say only 5 WR. we'll be spreading the ball around enough that we should stay pretty healthy.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I say only 5 WR. we'll be spreading the ball around enough that we should stay pretty healthy.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Zero - OK. Then, 7 LBs or an extra RB?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
chibiabo
15 years ago
:ramboface: Think GB will decide based on whomever is most likely to clear waivers and get to the practice squad. BUT! Doesn't Ted Thompson usually leave an additional spot open to grab someone off the other team's cut lists?
blank
strobl2
15 years ago
I say we get rid of morency because he has been here awhile and he hasnt done much. Lumpkin on the other hand has been here a short time and like the article said is the leading rusher. In the end I say we get rid of morency and keep the 7 linebackers just because they can affect special teams as well, and morency cant.
blank
porky88
15 years ago

Here's the question - do we keep an extra RB, 7 LBs, or 6 WRs?

There can be only one answer.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

If there is one thing we've known about Thompson is he'll keep the best players when it comes to the final 53. He may make certain moves in the off season and before camp but out of the guys who participated in camp, he keeps the best of the best.

I do think he'll look to trade Bishop or Hodge but if he can't then I think he's keeping 7 linebackers.

I think he'd like to keep four running backs. My guess is Grant, Jackson, Herron, and Lumpkin but a lot will depend on Thursday's game.
jdlax
15 years ago
I'd be OK with keeping 7 LBs if they're all part of our best 53. Like someone mentioned, they're good for special teams. It would be nice to have some additional depth in the middle of the line, but I can't advocate cutting a better LB just to keep a certain number of DTs.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.