Poll Question: Do you care if the mail carrier skips Saturdays?

Total: 5

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

It's been debated for months and months, but on Wednesday the United States Postal Service finally will announce it's not going to deliver first-class mail on Saturdays anymore.

The postal service's announcement, planned for about 10 a.m. EST, is expected to say that packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail will continue to be delivered on Saturday, but not letters, bills, cards, and catalogs. Post offices which are now open on Saturdays will continue to be open on Saturdays.

The move is meant to save the financially struggling agency about $2 billion annually as it wrestles with the rising popularity of email and social media eating away at its core business of delivering mail, and with the climbing costs of providing health benefits to its workers.

rest of story 

I don't mind the loss of of delivery on Saturdays at all. I would be interested to hear about England and the other countries postal service.

Actually I wouldn't mind it if the post office ended all delivery to the home. Get a PO box and go get it yourself. Then again I know it is helpful to the elderly. Not everyone will have a neighbor who is willing to go and pick it up for them. Perhaps the senior service centers could come into play for these people.

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I have never understood business models that try to solve their red ink problems by reducing the services they provide.

I wouldn't invest in any of them.

Well, not voluntarily anyway. Of course you "Americans are undertaxed" folk will say I'm just not in the spirit of doing the right thing for America.

Even though the post office (and my PO Box) is right across the street from my house, and even though I really like the people who work at it, I think this sort of "cut services" approach is inevitable when those who make the decisions are divorced from the consequences of the choices.

I'd simply close the entire thing down. Maybe offer current USPS employees an opportunity to buy assets if they think they can make a profit with whichever part of the USPS stuff that uses those particular assets. If you're losing that many billions every year as a business enterprise, your enterprise ought to die.

1. How many $$billions is the USPS annual budget?

2. How many $billions could all those post offices and postage meters and letter sorting machines get, even at a bankruptcy liquidation fire sale?

How would the sum of 1 and 2, plus the tax revenues from the successful enterprises said buyers put into practice, compare to...say, the chicken-feed approaches both major parties see as "solutions" to the national debt?

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
11 years ago
Didn't the Neocons give the Post Office a big shitburger with their budget? I don't recall the piece of legislation but it was the funding for their pensions. Do you remember anthing about that Wade?
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Didn't the Neocons give the Post Office a big shitburger with their budget? I don't recall the piece of legislation but it was the funding for their pensions. Do you remember anthing about that Wade?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

No clue. I haven't been a neo-con since...actually, i don't think I was ever a neo-con. I used to stand with Wm F Buckley, Barry Goldwater, and those more traditional pre-Reagan type conservatives. I suppose the closest to a neo-con that I've liked was the elder Bush. Or maybe Charles Krauthammer -- is he a neo-con? If i had to choose between a neocon and a Kennedy/Obama/Pelosi type lib, I might go with the former -- at least back when I bought into the "lesser of two evils" voting philosophy. But most of those people leave me as cold as one of those fancy freezers.

Are you saying its a refusal to fund them (with yet more tax dollars) that is the explanation for why they lose billions every year?

My opinion is that the Post Office loses money because they are providing services that people don't value enough to pay for and because they don't provide enough of the services that people are willing to pay for.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Oh, okay, I admit to liking P J O'Rourke. But surely anyone who has written for Rolling Stone can't be a neo-con, can he?
DakotaT
11 years ago

Oh, okay, I admit to liking P J O'Rourke. But surely anyone who has written for Rolling Stone can't be a neo-con, can he?

Originally Posted by: Wade 

You didn't answer my question, but that's okay, I remember now. The lame duck Republicans passed a law in 2006 to make the post office's pension fund solvent for 75 years in a 10 year window. It was a cheap shot to try to slowly close them down. What's funny is that the PO is not dependent on taxpayer dollars, they are self sufficient on their own revenue. I suppose the thinking among the evil ones was that all that business would one day go to the private sector.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD8QtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2Q6_9A90cUk&ei=IgwTUaXcBoXs2AXKqICYBA&usg=AFQjCNGtaqfu2FFlRT-jSJx_b7e0AUpfjg&sig2=RDHqjLrPiGUUTpYkUMj4JA&bvm=bv.42080656,d.b2I

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.