• Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
OL OL DL OL DL OL DL OL LB OL

Relative importance:
OL 60%
DL 30%
LB 10%

I'll be upset if the Packers' first pick goes for anything other than one of these positions.

I'll be upset if any of first five picks the Packers make are used for anything other than these position.

IMO the main reason the Packers have only one Super Bowl appearance in the Thompson era is that he and his personnel department have been below average when it comes to acquiring dominant OL talent and dominant front seven talent on defense In this regard, they've got one home run hitter on the offensive side (Sitton), one home run hitter on the defensive side (Matthews), and one multiple-RBI double on defense (Pickett). Beyond this, its been a bunch of .250 hitters that strike out a lot, high ERA pitchers, and journeyman fielders.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago

This argument is about Ted. What if we had a great running threat? What if we had a book-end to Clay? I don't think at least trying to achieve those objectives was out of line for last year.

Now we are going to lose more players, going to wait more for Ted to replace them, plus we gotta do the Aaron deal this year, which I HOPE TO CHRIST Ted was thinking about last year, though we have no indications he was- and wonder why we cannot relive the 2010 glory, and frankly, the recipe to do so doesn't even look hard.

He is not forward thinking, by my evaluation of his strategies. I don't care what all the evaluators say. I know this team, as well as a fan can. He's fucking up, imo

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Ummmm, this is the guy that drafted Aaron Rodgers when we had that Brent guy playing QB. I think he is extremely forward looking, to the point of almost too much. If he was more focused on the here and now, he would waste money on FA that can't play, instead of draft and develop.

He drafted a bookend to Clay in the 1st rd last year. Does all the blame for an injury lay at his feet? In my mind, he tried to achieve that objective.
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago
DE- Think JJ Watt. Doesn't have to be huge, but disruptive.
OG/C- Josh Sitton's twin, with a bad attitude
WR- Need the next great WR
DL- Big butt guy. Someone to rotate with Raji and Pickett, replacing Pickett in 2014.
TE- Finley clone,

After that, whatever. DL, OL, RB, LB.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
To be specific, I don't know how, but I would be happy to see us draft Barrett Jones, Margus Hunt, and William Gholston. After that a sleeper safety and receiver would be nice.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

Ummmm, this is the guy that drafted Aaron Rodgers when we had that Brent guy playing QB. I think he is extremely forward looking, to the point of almost too much. If he was more focused on the here and now, he would waste money on FA that can't play, instead of draft and develop.

He drafted a bookend to Clay in the 1st rd last year. Does all the blame for an injury lay at his feet? In my mind, he tried to achieve that objective.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

The bottom line for me with Ted Thompson is that we won the SB in '10 and there is no one here that can convince me the roster we will put on the field next year won't be more talented than that team. Last year either.

We build thru the draft. The top guys you draft have to get on the damn football field. We lose Bulaga, Sherrod, and Perry yet somehow the cumulative effect of this is lost on many here.

Screw FA. Look at the Bears. They bring in all these high priced guys and can't beat....us. And there will be hell to pay soon for them too for all they are shelling out to these guys.

We pick in the mid to upper 20's and every team out there needs offensive and defensive linemen or the top 10 or so wouldn't be gone by the time we pick every time. We don't get a whiff at the JJ Watt's. Making it even more important that the guys we do get are OUT THERE.

Bottom line. Ted will put talent on the field. We need a little luck injury wise, a few guys to play better,and better coaching to get them to play better.

"The train is leaving the station."
play2win
11 years ago

The bottom line for me with Ted Thompson is that we won the SB in '10 and there is no one here that can convince me the roster we will put on the field next year won't be more talented than that team. Last year either.

We build thru the draft. The top guys you draft have to get on the damn football field. We lose Bulaga, Sherrod, and Perry yet somehow the cumulative effect of this is lost on many here.

Screw FA. Look at the Bears. They bring in all these high priced guys and can't beat....us. And there will be hell to pay soon for them too for all they are shelling out to these guys.

We pick in the mid to upper 20's and every team out there needs offensive and defensive linemen or the top 10 or so wouldn't be gone by the time we pick every time. We don't get a whiff at the JJ Watt's. Making it even more important that the guys we do get are OUT THERE.

Bottom line. Ted will put talent on the field. We need a little luck injury wise, a few guys to play better,and better coaching to get them to play better.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

This is off the topic, but don't you think an inordinate number of injuries, every year for more than 3 years has more to do with conditioning than it does luck? I think our staff needs to address this. Far too many injuries to key players.

You are dead nuts on with regards to the injuries suffered to Sherrod, Bulaga and Perry, and how differently the season might have gone had they not been lost. Bishop should be mentioned there as well. That is a high number of key players.

Adding a player in FA is not a bad thing. I wouldn't mind seeing them add a FA and trading for another player at a position of need, in addition to the draft. BAL traded a R3 and a R4 for Anquan Boldin. Look how well that worked out for them... We can't possibly fill all of the needs we have on this team with draftees, and expect to be substantially better.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

This is off the topic, but don't you think an inordinate number of injuries, every year for more than 3 years has more to do with conditioning than it does luck? I think our staff needs to address this. Far too many injuries to key players.

You are dead nuts on with regards to the injuries suffered to Sherrod, Bulaga and Perry, and how differently the season might have gone had they not been lost. Bishop should be mentioned there as well. That is a high number of key players.

Adding a player in FA is not a bad thing. I wouldn't mind seeing them add a FA and trading for another player at a position of need, in addition to the draft. BAL traded a R3 and a R4 for Anquan Boldin. Look how well that worked out for them... We can't possibly fill all of the needs we have on this team with draftees, and expect to be substantially better.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Since when is a broken bone or having players fall on someone a lack of conditioning?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

DE- Think JJ Watt. Doesn't have to be huge, but disruptive.
OG/C- Josh Sitton's twin, with a bad attitude
WR- Need the next great WR
DL- Big butt guy. Someone to rotate with Raji and Pickett, replacing Pickett in 2014.
TE- Finley clone,

After that, whatever. DL, OL, RB, LB.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

DE: Keep in mind, the job of the 3-4 DE is to take up blockers. But I agree, we could use an upgrade.
OG/C: Agreed. But keep in mind here, Ted was told to get "smaller qucker" guys for the first few years of MM's tenure. He did that. Since he's been allowed to go get "bigger, stronger" guys, his picks have been much more successful, Breno Giacomini aside. Bulaga and Sherrod are going to anchor this line for many years, just like Cliffy and Tauscher. Unless Datko wins a spot.
WR: We lost DD to age, and very likely Jennings to FA, but we're still pretty stacked at the position. However I GUARANTEE Ted will find somebody with skills in this draft. MARK IT DOWN!
TE: Hopefully Quarless will be able to get back on the field. He could be a huge addition. People underestimate the impact of having lost him. If somebody falls to us, that would be great too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
11 years ago
Breno was a 5th rounder and he's been starting for 2 years now at RT on a decent o-line. Maybe the coaches gave up on him a year too soon or Campen just sucks that bad but he's turned out to be a decent pick.
DakotaT
11 years ago

OL OL DL OL DL OL DL OL LB OL

Relative importance:
OL 60%
DL 30%
LB 10%

I'll be upset if the Packers' first pick goes for anything other than one of these positions.

I'll be upset if any of first five picks the Packers make are used for anything other than these position.

IMO the main reason the Packers have only one Super Bowl appearance in the Thompson era is that he and his personnel department have been below average when it comes to acquiring dominant OL talent and dominant front seven talent on defense In this regard, they've got one home run hitter on the offensive side (Sitton), one home run hitter on the defensive side (Matthews), and one multiple-RBI double on defense (Pickett). Beyond this, its been a bunch of .250 hitters that strike out a lot, high ERA pitchers, and journeyman fielders.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Why don't you try apples to apples, Numbnuts - it's like listening to rednecks comparing gun violence to drunk driving. [ass]
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.