Cheesey
11 years ago
SOOO true, Dakota!
A great QB can make a so-so WR into a star.

He won't know what he had till he's gone.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

Jermichael Finley offers a lot more to the team than you seem to realize. Yes, I believe he is over paid, but he played well through the last half of the season. This hating on Finley isn't cool, its naive. If one wants to hate, they should aim it no further than James Campen.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Now, wait a minute. I am not hating on anybody. I'm looking at overall performance, and comparing to the overall cost to the team. I have nothing against him at all as a person. If he continues to be a part of this team, I will root for his success as a Green Bay Packer. However, as a fan of the team, I see he came into a very important season, playing an integral role on the team, and failed for half the season to make an impact as a receiver, and failed for the entire season to make an impact as a blocker. And, that's worth how much? Let me get this straight, this selling of him as a decoy that the opposition has to prepare for is worth $7M?

I do not hate. I'm just not thrilled with his approach to the game, his boisterousness, and his all too often ineffective play that continues to fail to live up to his own words. Year after year. Give me a TE that runs the right routes, catches the football, and blocks his man. I'll take that any day. Finley is not that guy. Is he? Game 1 through 16?
play2win
11 years ago

Now, wait a minute. I am not hating on anybody. I'm looking at overall performance, and comparing to the overall cost to the team. I have nothing against him at all as a person. If he continues to be a part of this team, I will root for his success as a Green Bay Packer. However, as a fan of the team, I see he came into a very important season, playing an integral role on the team, and failed for half the season to make an impact as a receiver, and failed for the entire season to make an impact as a blocker. And, that's worth how much? Let me get this straight, this selling of him as a decoy that the opposition has to prepare for is worth $7M?

I do not hate. I'm just not thrilled with his approach to the game, his boisterousness, and his all too often ineffective play that continues to fail to live up to his own words. Year after year. Give me a TE that runs the right routes, catches the football, and blocks his man. I'll take that any day. Finley is not that guy. Is he? Game 1 through 16?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Here is a power ranking of the top TEs in the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000110848/article/tight-end-power-rankings-rob-gronkowski-the-best 

Jermichael Finely is ranked 14th in the NFL, middle of the pack.

Here is a ranking of the top salaries for TEs in the NFL:
http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Gronkowski-not-highest-paid-tight-end-in?blockID=721734 

Please, Jermichael Finley gets paid MORE than Rob Gronkowski? Finley is the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL? Wow.

Nuff said.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Here is a power ranking of the top TEs in the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000110848/article/tight-end-power-rankings-rob-gronkowski-the-best 

Jermichael Finely is ranked 14th in the NFL, middle of the pack.

Here is a ranking of the top salaries for TEs in the NFL:
http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Gronkowski-not-highest-paid-tight-end-in?blockID=721734 

Please, Jermichael Finley gets paid MORE than Rob Gronkowski? Finley is the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL? Wow.

Nuff said.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

How is that enough said when it simply restates my point about Finley being overpaid? Are you saying I ended it already and you threw down some keystrokes for attention? 🙂

I trust PFF more than your link and of TE's whom played 50% or more of the snaps, Finley is rated 28th. And also as I stated, he started to really come on in the second half of the season, which if you look at his statistics and ratings, that is also proven too.

Edit, keep in mind, Finley was playing through a shoulder injury during a portion of the first half the season too.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
11 years ago
I recall everybody being very satisfied with the two year deal Finley signed - now he's overpaid when the bigger year needs to be shelled out? This issue with Finley is not his contract, it's his attitude and maturity.

Thinking back to the 2010 season when he got injured, has anybody ever given Quarless the praises he deserved for his role in our championship. With blocking and receiving considered, he's probably our best tight end.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I recall everybody being very satisfied with the two year deal Finley signed - now he's overpaid when the bigger year needs to be shelled out? This issue with Finley is not his contract, it's his attitude and maturity.

Thinking back to the 2010 season when he got injured, has anybody ever given Quarless the praises he deserved for his role in our championship. With blocking and receiving considered, he's probably our best tight end.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

You recall everybody being satisfied huh? - link 
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

How is that enough said when it simply restates my point about Finley being overpaid? Are you saying I ended it already and you threw down some keystrokes for attention? 🙂

I trust PFF more than your link and of TE's whom played 50% or more of the snaps, Finley is rated 28th. And also as I stated, he started to really come on in the second half of the season, which if you look at his statistics and ratings, that is also proven too.

Edit, keep in mind, Finley was playing through a shoulder injury during a portion of the first half the season too.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I was taking exception to the hater comment - no big thing Zero2Cool. Offered some very quick access articles on salary and performance. That is all this is about. I know he turned some things around in the 2nd half of the season. But, we needed him for the full season, and he was paid for the full season. That, to me, is not a good return on investment. And, we're not even discussing his blocking...

I guess the bigger thing in all of this is looking at the thresholds, where performance and pay are in line, and forecasting those that are looking to be out of line, then making the hard decisions. As a fan, we don't have much say, and for all I know the light will go on for Jermichael Finley next season. If that does happen, I do hope it is in a Packers uniform. I understand the development of players is not as cut and dried as we all might like for it to be. Finley is their guy, and they've made a pretty big financial commitment to him, along with their continued praise and encouragement from the staff.
blueleopard
11 years ago

Closing? For a QB at 29 years old and what 5 seasons of duty under his belt and we are closing that window already? Brady, Manning, Favre types have shown that you can play at a high level well into the late 30's. We are far from closing the window.

Every team reloads.. turns over the roster in a planned manner. Nelson and Cobb were brought in to prepare for DD and Jennings leaving. Loading up the secondary was in preparation of Woodson leaving.

It happens.. and the Packers had that plan in place for when it happened.

We have issues to fix.. heck we have had them for a couple of seasons now.. but this team is far from being depleted.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

You're just re-stating what I said in longer verbiage. I know Rodgers is talented, and he'll be like that for a long time, but like Brady, Manning, and Favre -- he won't be able to do it alone. I'd argue that he'd do it better than all the guys you mentioned, but if he continues to take 50 sacks a year, it's not gonna happen.

No offense, but did you watch the National Championship game?

musccy wrote:

Yes, but you can't let that overshadow is entire body of work for that season. You aren't chosen as the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy for no reason, especially as a defensive player.

Te'o is the most instinctive sideline-to-sideline leader in the middle I've seen come out in a very long time. Yes, he was overmatched in the National Championship -- but you have to take into account the Crimson Tide having an offensive line full of draftable guys. Not to mention that aside from Louis Nix, there's nobody that's going to be drafted out of the Notre Dame defensive this year other than Te'o.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
Packers have let their all-time yardage receiver retire, they are probably letting go to their "1 reciever of over the past 3 years, quedtionable whether their #1 TE will be back.
That's a lot of experience to replace just on the offensive side.

The Packers released their #1 DB, 2009 DPOY, prob. 1st rnd HOF candidate.
Questionable that their 2012 staring ML(Jones RFA) will be back,
Questionable that their 2012 starting OLB opposite Mathews (Walden) will be back,
and still a majority if you want to shit can the one LB who has been a rock at whatever position he has been asked to play.
Leading tackler in 2012, leading tackler on the team since he was drafted, started every game(but 2 in 2011}.

Yet with all the other ? this team has on defense, it seems that some of you think A.J. Hawk is the biggest problem The Packers have.

PLEASE TED CUT A.J. HAWK, absorb the 5 mil hit on the salary cap, GET HIS ASS OUT OF GREEN BAY, I for 1 am tired of the yearly A.J. Hawk has to go threads.

DAMMIT TED JUST DO IT!!!!

So some of the members can move on to their next most hated guy.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
11 years ago
There's that "hate" word again. Man, I just see that he is not the fastest MLB in the NFL, probably not in the top half. His coverage is lacking, is it not? He gets paid giant coin, and he's a great guy, and upstanding representative of our team on and off the field, but, what about the production? Tackles stats are deceiving. Yes, he has done a great job, and I've said many times this season how much his play looks to have been improved. Yet, he is not a LB that opponents have to game plan for. Is he?

Well, to me, being paid as much as he is, he should be.

This has nothing to do with liking the player or not.

I put some comparisons up in another thread a while ago. The SF LBs are touted top to bottom as being one of the best units in the NFL. What is it going to take for us to reach that level? Upgrading the unit. You mentioned Brad Jones, and Eric Walden, like they would be some kind of great loss to this team. Really? Why? What have they done? Get them the F out!!!!

Bring in a couple more LBs to pair with Hawk and Matthews. Fine. Maybe Hawk's play improves even further with better talent around him. All I know is other teams exposed the middle of the field against us for some time now. Historical running running totals against us. Historical passing days against us. A lot of that in the middle of our D where Hawk has been a high priced mainstay.

Is Hawk going to become faster with better talent around him? Ted Thompson drafted him very high. He continues to pay him high. It is just my opinion that we are paying way more than what we are getting in return.

Hawk's cap figure is $6.5M (salary 4.9M)
Franchise Tag LB figure is $8.3M
Average salary for LB is $1.2M

For comparison, Patrick Willis has a cap figure of $5M and a salary of $1.9M

Hawk is paid better than many LBs in this NFL. Is AJ Hawks play in the top 20? In February of 2012, there was a ranking of the top 50 Linebackers in the NFL. Matthews was ranked #4 overall. Des Bishop was ranked #39 overall. Hawk didn't even make the list.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1078774-nfl-power-ranking-the-top-50-active-linebackers/page/2 

In April of 2012, they ranked the top 40 Inside Linebackers. Hawk was ranked #32
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1129638-br-nfl-1000-top-40-inside-linebackers/page/10 

I know you are a fan of his buckeyepackfan, and that's cool. I really like the guy myself. I just think we may need to upgrade, or at the very least get a pay cut in place and get some better players around him.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.