Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
In the later rounds of this years draft, say 5th or later, would you advocate the Packers selecting Tyrann Mathieu?

A player that was as electric as any player in 2011.. but couldn't keep himself on the field because of off field issues. The other knock is he is undersized at 5' 9".. but it would be hard pressed not to respect his coverage skills along with his play making ability in the special teams.

In no way shape or form would he be described as a "Packer Person"... but a talented player.

If nothing else.. he could give us a return element without having to place Cobb back there. Although we still have Ross as an option.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
What position? Cornerback? I have only heard the name honey badger, but don't know anything about the person/player.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

What position? Cornerback? I have only heard the name honey badger, but don't know anything about the person/player.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yes.. he is a 5'9" corner back that played for LSU.

Weed charges and continued use.. lead in his off field troubles. But there were other issues.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
11 years ago
Undersized in an already somewhat undersized defense plus off the field issues = not worth it IMO unless he drops to the 6th or later which I doubt he will.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

Undersized in an already somewhat undersized defense plus off the field issues = not worth it IMO unless he drops to the 6th or later which I doubt he will.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Sorry I had to giggle.. that decisive line between 5th and the 6th has been drawn. [grin1]

Now for my real comment.. is I think he goes late because the NFL, may put him in the drug testing program using their discretion. Basically, he may be tested more often than the average player thus increasing the chances he winds up unavailable for those reasons. I think he very well might slide all the way out of the rounds in fact. He wasn't just popped once.. it was multiple times he tested positive.. couple that other concerns off the field.. he is a red flag player.

It's important to note that NFL club officials in this case are only referencing failed drug tests administered by the prospect's college that wind up on his background report, not the drug tests the league conducts as part of the scouting process at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Players with drug test failures in college are not automatically enrolled in the NFL's drug-testing program upon being drafted, but those players can be added at the league's discretion, depending on the type of drug used, how recent the failed test occurred and if there were multiple failures.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/23/nfl.draft.marijuana/index.html#ixzz2LSH89Yc1 

nerdmann
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

If he drops out like Shields did, I'd love to see Ted bring him in. He's too short to go up against Megatron, but if the dude can play the ball in the air, there will be a place for him. Especially if he's a return man.

Losing Woody might hurt us as far as reclamation projects, but this team has traditionally been a positive environment for "malcontents."

If he pulls a Brandon Underwood, no big loss.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
11 years ago

Yes.. he is a 5'9" corner back that played for LSU.

Weed charges and continued use.. lead in his off field troubles. But there were other issues.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Definitely does not seem to shy away from contact. Strips the ball out too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
11 years ago
In my post for the draft I had said that if he is sitting there in the 5th round to grab him. Yes, he is 5'9" but if you all want someone who is going to come up and hit a guy regardless of their size, he will do it. When I watched him play, he reminded me of a young Charles Woodson. He is EVERYWHERE on the field. He has great coverage skills and is a great returner. At 5th round, you cannot go wrong in selecting him. I'd go as far as saying even 4th round would be okay. He adds the nastiness the Packers need on defense.

For once, I advocate a player with off field issues. Not that I believe it until I see it, but he did state he is/has changed. The KID made mistakes and realizes that all he has in life is football.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
LCB 38 Williams, Tramon SFA06 31House, Davon 11/4 24Bush, Jarrett W/Car
RCB 37 Shields, Sam RFA 29Hayward, Casey 12/2 23Nixon, James SFA12

Don't they normally carry 5 CB? Let's say they do keep 6. I don't see him jumping over Hayward at all. He could get past House down the road but not at the start of the season. Bush and Nixon are the bubble players. Everyone loves to bash Bush but he is a standout on ST. Will Mathieu come in and do the same? If not the best he can do is land the #6 spot on the team with an opportunity to move up in the future.

That said I would not want to use the # 5 pick on the # 6 CB on the team.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

LCB 38 Williams, Tramon SFA06 31House, Davon 11/4 24Bush, Jarrett W/Car
RCB 37 Shields, Sam RFA 29Hayward, Casey 12/2 23Nixon, James SFA12

Don't they normally carry 5 CB? Let's say they do keep 6. I don't see him jumping over Hayward at all. He could get past House down the road but not at the start of the season. Bush and Nixon are the bubble players. Everyone loves to bash Bush but he is a standout on ST. Will Mathieu come in and do the same? If not the best he can do is land the #6 spot on the team with an opportunity to move up in the future.

That said I would not want to use the # 5 pick on the # 6 CB on the team.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Good post.. I think it will be interesting already for the Packers and keeping players in the secondary. Adding another talent is questionable.. but for me, his value would be as a returner next season to keep Cobb (whom will be counted on even more in the offense) free from the duties.

But as a CB.. yes, that is one area at the moment the Packers don't need to address in the draft.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.