wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

But as a CB.. yes, that is one area at the moment the Packers don't need to address in the draft.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I skipped over it but of the 6 players on the depth chart, 3 of them (both starters) came off the street. This is an area that Uncle Teddy has excelled at.

So IF Tyann slides out of the draft all together...

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

Good post.. I think it will be interesting already for the Packers and keeping players in the secondary. Adding another talent is questionable.. but for me, his value would be as a returner next season to keep Cobb (whom will be counted on even more in the offense) free from the duties.

But as a CB.. yes, that is one area at the moment the Packers don't need to address in the draft.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

It's not a weighted area of need, but if he's the BPA, you take him.

How many injuries did we have last year? Look at all the guys we lost at ILB. Could happen at any position. If a guy falls to you, you take him. Especially this late in the draft.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
doddpower
11 years ago

LCB 38 Williams, Tramon SFA06 31House, Davon 11/4 24Bush, Jarrett W/Car
RCB 37 Shields, Sam RFA 29Hayward, Casey 12/2 23Nixon, James SFA12

Don't they normally carry 5 CB? Let's say they do keep 6. I don't see him jumping over Hayward at all. He could get past House down the road but not at the start of the season. Bush and Nixon are the bubble players. Everyone loves to bash Bush but he is a standout on ST. Will Mathieu come in and do the same? If not the best he can do is land the #6 spot on the team with an opportunity to move up in the future.

That said I would not want to use the # 5 pick on the # 6 CB on the team.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Drafting players, especially in the later rounds, isn't about getting a starter in their rookie season, necessarily. Things change so fast in the NFL. He could start his rookie season as the #6 CB, but could end up being #3+ in his 2nd or 3rd season given any number of circumstances. Viewing the pick of a talented player through the above lens just doesn't make much sense to me. Additionally, as mentioned, he likely would have a lot of special teams value, as well. Besides, Tramon Williams has been regressing it would seem for two seasons (can it all be attributed to injury?), and House really hasn't shown a whole lot yet during the actual season, although mostly due to injury. Bush is becoming somewhat expensive, and may be replaced in a season or so. He shouldn't be on the field for the defense, anyway.

Corner back is one of the Packers deepest positions, but there are still several questions about the group, for sure. Adding a good to very good talent late in the draft would be nice.

play2win
11 years ago
I don't have any problem with Ted drafting him if he is so inclined. The kid is a player, and many have made poor decisions early in life. He could be a gem. Might go way higher than R5 - could also fall out of the draft entirely. Green Bay could be a good fit, with a really talented group to compete against. Had he not had any off field issues, he could have been a top10? Top 20? Worth a shot in my opinion.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Drafting players, especially in the later rounds, isn't about getting a starter in their rookie season, necessarily. Things change so fast in the NFL. He could start his rookie season as the #6 CB, but could end up being #3+ in his 2nd or 3rd season given any number of circumstances. Viewing the pick of a talented player through the above lens just doesn't make much sense to me. Additionally, as mentioned, he likely would have a lot of special teams value, as well. Besides, Tramon Williams has been regressing it would seem for two seasons (can it all be attributed to injury?), and House really hasn't shown a whole lot yet during the actual season, although mostly due to injury. Bush is becoming somewhat expensive, and may be replaced in a season or so. He shouldn't be on the field for the defense, anyway.

Corner back is one of the Packers deepest positions, but there are still several questions about the group, for sure. Adding a good to very good talent late in the draft would be nice.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

dodd I don't disagree with you. I am simply trying to add some perspective to the mix.

The basis of my post is, "Is there room for him"? "Do you want to use a #5 pick on the 5th or 6th CB"?

If the answer is yes then go ahead. If not then don't.

There are always injuries and players falling down the depth chart while others climb on every team every season. I never ever said he couldn't climb. I said I didn't expect him to be a #4 when the season opens. Which means it is possible for him to be the #4 by the end of the season.

As far as ST, I realize he can return kicks but that is not Bush's job. And GB already has Ross to return kicks. If Bush is gone who becomes the gunner? Someone has to be there to down the punt at the 3 yard line. Not every one can do what he does or do it as well as he does it.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
This guy won't amount to anything until he's on his second team. Book it.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
11 years ago
The main concern I have with him, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned, is that he has been out of football for a year. What kind of shape will he be in? Also that's one less year he has had to develop as a football player.
blank
play2win
11 years ago

This guy won't amount to anything until he's on his second team. Book it.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Why do you say that? I'm just curious. I don't have any kind of monster desire for him to be a Packers player, but if they see he is right for the team, and he's there at a decent place to take that chance...
JustJeff
11 years ago

The main concern I have with him, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned, is that he has been out of football for a year. What kind of shape will he be in? Also that's one less year he has had to develop as a football player.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

He's been working out with Patrick Peterson (former teammates at LSU).

The only way I see Teddy Ballgame drafting him is if he can play safety. Thompson has never had a corner under 5' 11" but has had a few 5' 10" guys at safety (Derrick Martin is the only one I recall at the moment).

Ron Wolf had a rule of "never drafting short corners." What Wolf never said was what constituted a "short corner." The cutoff for Wolf apparently (outside of bowing to his new DC - Ray Rhodes w/T-Buck), Wolf never dipped below 5' 11" and preferred guys 6' and above. Teddy Ballgame has stuck to that... rigidly.

As for the original question, I would take a late flier on him. Someone compared him to Woodson. Mathieu reminds me of a young Antoine Winfield. Smallish, ferocious in run support, coverage skills that make up for short stature. Like Winfield, I think the play-making opportunities drop, playing on Sundays.

UserPostedImage 
Rockmolder
11 years ago

He's been working out with Patrick Peterson (former teammates at LSU).

The only way I see Teddy Ballgame drafting him is if he can play safety. Thompson has never had a corner under 5' 11" but has had a few 5' 10" guys at safety (Derrick Martin is the only one I recall at the moment).

Ron Wolf had a rule of "never drafting short corners." What Wolf never said was what constituted a "short corner." The cutoff for Wolf apparently (outside of bowing to his new DC - Ray Rhodes w/T-Buck), Wolf never dipped below 5' 11" and preferred guys 6' and above. Teddy Ballgame has stuck to that... rigidly.

As for the original question, I would take a late flier on him. Someone compared him to Woodson. Mathieu reminds me of a young Antoine Winfield. Smallish, ferocious in run support, coverage skills that make up for short stature. Like Winfield, I think the play-making opportunities drop, playing on Sundays.

Originally Posted by: JustJeff 

We traded Tony Moll for Martin, just to get something. Turned out to be quite the STs player. I don't think anyone every expected him to really play a whole lot of CB.

I'm not quite sure how Ted sees this, but in my opinion, you'll only get flawed players in the later rounds. His flaw are his character (that being debatable, as I get the feeling that 2/3th of the NFL players smoke weed) and his size. You just have to ask yourself if he can contribute to your team despite those flaws... And I think he most certainly can.

Like said before, you don't put him on Calvin Johnson or someone like that, but he is physical enough and quick enough to be a great match-up against a guy like Amendola, Welker etc.

And if that doesn't work out, you still have quite the returner.

And if even that doesn't work out, he has all the tools to be an amazing STs player.

If he's there in the 5th, you have to take him. Only thing is, I really doubt that he'll be there. A team like the Bengals or Titans will take a chance on a kid like him far before Ted even thinks about pulling the trigger.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.