wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

remember, day 1 is round 1 now. I'm assuming you don't want a WR in round 1.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

he does. Check out his other posts tonight and you will see him talking about getting a big time # 1 WR.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
11 years ago

I don't agree with that comparison.

Look at the drastic improvement Cobb made from year one to year two. His route running was better, his hands were better, and his knowledge of the offense increased. Some of the catches he made were just outstanding.

If not for missing one game, he would have caught over 80 passes for 1,000-plus yards, and 8 TDs.

Those are really good numbers for a 22-year-old.

Frankly, I think more than half of the teams in the NFL would love to have either player, but especially Cobb, as their No. 1 wide receiver. That's not elite, but as a group, that's a dangerous weapon.

The main problem, though, is Green Bay's reliance on the passing game. They're now one injury away from Jarrett Boykin of having to play a significant role in the offense.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

What team would you imagine our guys could join and slip into the nr. 1 receiver role? I don't think that any of the guys on our roster have the ability to carry a receiving group, to get bracketed and still produce, to be that one receiver you throw to out of desperation and still have a good chance of him coming up with it...

I agree with you that Cobb has made some amazing progression, but he doesn't look like that X or Z guy to me who'd I'd like to see as my leading receiver.

I think that Jones, Nelson and Cobb would all start for just about any team in the NFL, but they wouldn't be the vocal point of the offense. Not the main targets.
Rockmolder
11 years ago

That's nice and all but the thing is only 1 freaking team has Adrian Peterson. The passing game is about a hell of a lot more than 1 player that's a big part of the reason why Brandon Marshall can put up huge numbers and the Bears offense still blows goats. It's a lot easier to slow a team down with 1 good player than a team with several good but not quite as good players.

I'd like to have Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald as our 5 WR. That would be cool wouldn't it?

Taking a WR in the first round this year would be pretty dumb unless we could somehow get into the top 10 without giving up much to get there (lol). Odds are any guy taken in the 20s won't see many snaps.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Peterson was, of course, quite the exaggeration. Look at my last post for some clarification. Of course I'm not assuming we'll just go and pick up a Calvin Johnson clone somewhere, but there's a whole lot of difference between Megatron and James Jones. I am saying you should, as the Packers, take a look at some early selections to have someone who can lead this group of WRs.

Favre's stints with Walker and Sharpe always come to mind for me. Favre was always good with his bunch of decent wide receivers, but in the small portions of time that Sharpe and Walker were absolutely dominant, it changed everything. Those "dumb throw to nowhere" became catchable balls with those guys. The nr. 1 CB all of a sudden had something to worry about and defenses had to pull a safety to one side. It just changes the entire offense.

And you can't tell me that there's one guy who will be highlighted constantly.

Yes, one of our guys will most likely get open. Cobb operates from the slot and either Jones or Nelson has to draw the nr. 2 CB (although that didn't help a whole lot at most times last year), but that Rodgers running around trick isn't because he likes to show of his athleticism... When you look at the tape, you could see that there are quite a few times last year when our receivers just can't seem to get open. When you push that entire group down one notch, filling up at the top of the depth chart with a true nr. 1, you change the entire dynamic of our offense.

I don't think it'd be pretty dumb if the right guy falls.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I would be happy if any elite player at any position, except QB, fell to us in the manner of Rodgers. My preference would be a DE, but I'd happily take a receiver etc.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I would be happy if any elite player at any position, except QB, fell to us in the manner of Rodgers. My preference would be a DE, but I'd happily take a receiver etc.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

I haven't a clue how we got to this from James Jones saying he thinks he is a number one WR, but I'll roll ... to your statement I inquire, how many elite QB's are in the NFL currently? Let us say half dozen. Now, imagine one falls to the Packers ... you wouldn't want that?

The Packers could trade said elite QB to an AFC team for the following randomly selected picks not based on any trade previously conducted in the NFL ...

1st round pick
2nd round pick
6th round pick

1st round pick
2nd round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick

1st round pick (conditional)

Formo knows what I'm talking about! hahahahaha
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I haven't a clue how we got to this from James Jones saying he thinks he is a number one WR, but I'll roll ... to your statement I inquire, how many elite QB's are in the NFL currently? Let us say half dozen. Now, imagine one falls to the Packers ... you wouldn't want that?

The Packers could trade said elite QB to an AFC team for the following randomly selected picks not based on any trade previously conducted in the NFL ...

1st round pick
2nd round pick
6th round pick

1st round pick
2nd round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick

1st round pick (conditional)

Formo knows what I'm talking about! hahahahaha

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

funny. you can be a dog at times but it is still funny. [grin1]

after all I would do the deal if I were in charge of the vickies.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

no #1 receiver. They don't even line up in the same position every down. Mix and match and look for the open receiver as long as 🇦🇷 is willing to hold it for 8 seconds so they can get the big play down field and inflate Rodgers stats so that one day he can wipe out all of Brett's records.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Or he can just toss it up after 4 seconds each time before he has a chance to escape the pocket regardless of whether or not pressure's there, and only beat Favre's INT record.
Porforis
11 years ago

Nelson isn't elite, Jones isn't elite and Cobb isn't elite. I can't think of a whole lot of teams where any of these guys would be the nr. 1 receiver.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Jones was playing like a #1 last season, whether he can continue at that level remains to be seen. Hard to tell with Nelson with all the time he missed but he'd be a solid #2 or low-end #1 IMO. Cobb isn't there yet but let's see how he does in his second year as a key piece of the offense... But I can't see him being a traditional #1 considering his playmaking abilities from the backfield or in the slot.
steveishere
11 years ago

Favre's stints with Walker and Sharpe always come to mind for me. Favre was always good with his bunch of decent wide receivers, but in the small portions of time that Sharpe and Walker were absolutely dominant, it changed everything. Those "dumb throw to nowhere" became catchable balls with those guys. The nr. 1 CB all of a sudden had something to worry about and defenses had to pull a safety to one side. It just changes the entire offense.

I don't think it'd be pretty dumb if the right guy falls.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

The offenses best years under Favre were with Freeman as the top WR. "The right guy" as in a legit elite WR (that's what it would take for a rookie to start or get significant snaps on this team) is quite a long shot to fall to #26. Since that's not likely to happen then "hopefully" they aren't taking a WR in the 1st round.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I like James Jones, a lot. But I'd rather he wasn't the number one receiver.

I like Randall Cobb, a lot. But I'd rather he wasn't the number one receiver.

I like Jordy Nelson, a lot. But I'd rather he wasn't the number one receiver.

I think speed is over-rated when it comes to deciding who is the number one receiver. I think the keys for a #1 are (i) ability to separate at the line of scrimmage, (ii) quality of "evasive moves"; (iii) precision of route-running; and (iv) excellent hands.

That's why I think the Packers will likely miss Jennings more than people think. He is excellent at (i) and frigging outstanding at (ii) and (iii). I'm not worried about the hands of any of the three, not anymore. But while Cobb has sick moves, I don't think any of the remaining three have Jennings separation ability and route-running skills. And Nelson and Jones don't have his moves.

That combination is why Jennings is going to get big bucks from someone. And I hope it isn't someone in our division.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)