Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

wow. He can jump as high as he can jump far.

try 34.0

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah.... lol.. typo as I am compiling. BTW thanks for the combine link.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
11 years ago

A comparative for you.. last years CB's at the combine benched an average of 15.72 times.

Additional stats from last years class: (averages of those that participated in each event)

Average 40 : 4.57
Vertical : 34.55 in
Broad Jump: 119.17 in
Shuttle : 4.12
3 Cone: 6.88

Comparing that to Casey Hayward's combine.

Height: 71 inches (5'11")
BP: 19 times
40: 4.57 seconds
Vert: 34
Broad: 119
Shuttle: 3.9
3 Cone: 6.76

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Maybe his biorhythmns were down that day. lol

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
11 years ago
I forgot that how many times you rep 225 on bench determines the kind of football player you are... 😆
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

I forgot that how many times you rep 225 on bench determines the kind of football player you are... 😆

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Agreed completely.. but in a case like this, a kid looking for redemption and a ticket to potential millions.. showing up and only hitting a low number on one of the core events is going to raise more questions than anything.

He would have been better served passing on the event/test, even though that might have drawn criticism as well.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

It doesn't but if someone can only do 3-4 that is an indicator of their strength. It means a WR won't get separation from a defender. A RB may be brought down with an arm tackle. The carrier can be stripped of the ball.

On the defense, a big strong wr can push you off like Jeffery did to Shields. Of course there is the linemen factor (both O and D.) They have to be able to move a Cadillac (with the parking brake set.) if they want to play with the big boys.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago

Agreed completely.. but in a case like this, a kid looking for redemption and a ticket to potential millions.. showing up and only hitting a low number on one of the core events is going to raise more questions than anything.

He would have been better served passing on the event/test, even though that might have drawn criticism as well.

True. Everything that I have read about his combine performance (minus the bench press) has his stock rising. He excelled in everything but the bench press. It would be nice to see if there was any information on how he lifted in college when he played because I have a suspicion that the 1 year layoff has nothing to do with the lack of his bench press numbers.

The one year layoff and his off field actions are the biggest concerns, not his bench press.

Btw, I don't disagree that four is an awful number. He would have been better off just skipping the test.

I feel that bench press numbers are usually all over the board throughout different positions. Some of the better offensive linemen sometimes only hit the teens on the bench press, but they still excel on the field.

I'm a combine junky but some tests have to be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes I wish they added a squat test to the combine. How many times can a player properly squat 225 pounds?

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

True. Everything that I have read about his combine performance (minus the bench press) has his stock rising. He excelled in everything but the bench press. It would be nice to see if there was any information on how he lifted in college when he played because I have a suspicion that the 1 year layoff has nothing to do with the lack of his bench press numbers.

The one year layoff and his off field actions are the biggest concerns, not his bench press.

Btw, I don't disagree that four is an awful number. He would have been better off just skipping the test.

I feel that bench press numbers are usually all over the board throughout different positions. Some of the better offensive linemen sometimes only hit the teens on the bench press, but they still excel on the field.

I'm a combine junky but some tests have to be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes I wish they added a squat test to the combine. How many times can a player properly squat 225 pounds?

I have to wonder if the whole combine test is a waste of time or not.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

But the bench press is a product of work ethic in the weight room.. you get more out of it the more you invest.

What that number tells me, in this case anyway, that he has been out of the program for a year leaving him to continue to workout on his own. That number tells me he isn't putting in the time in the weight room.. either than or he truly lacks strength, upper body strength at that.

Why is the important.. at the NFL level there is increased contact in the 5 yard zone with stronger elite athletes week in and out at receiver. If he lacks the upper body strength to compete with them, that is going to limit the ways I can use him in coverage. But that can be fixed.. so I agree it is limited because in a NFL program you should be able to rectify that with training.

So it goes back to really how hard is he willing to work off the field to get on the field. That is what that number tells me with this case.

I am not a consumer of combine numbers.. I think how they perform on the field greatly outweighs the underwear Olympics.. but in the same regard, some potential red flags can be raised which will require a team to do more homework on a prospect.

Now couple a couple of questions together with a red flag or two at the combine.. and you will have teams the will remove him from their draft board or push him down the board at least.

My opinion.. this kid is sitting their say round 6.. I say I take him. I think his football instincts are noticeable on the field and film.. pop even.

The reason I note his bench press, is I think it may help push him further down the draft board to where for me.. the risk / reward aspect swings in line and I pick him. Not that he will not or can not become a player.

Yerko
11 years ago

But the bench press is a product of work ethic in the weight room.. you get more out of it the more you invest.

What that number tells me, in this case anyway, that he has been out of the program for a year leaving him to continue to workout on his own. That number tells me he isn't putting in the time in the weight room.. either than or he truly lacks strength, upper body strength at that.

Why is the important.. at the NFL level there is increased contact in the 5 yard zone with stronger elite athletes week in and out at receiver. If he lacks the upper body strength to compete with them, that is going to limit the ways I can use him in coverage. But that can be fixed.. so I agree it is limited because in a NFL program you should be able to rectify that with training.

So it goes back to really how hard is he willing to work off the field to get on the field. That is what that number tells me with this case.

I am not a consumer of combine numbers.. I think how they perform on the field greatly outweighs the underwear Olympics.. but in the same regard, some potential red flags can be raised which will require a team to do more homework on a prospect.

Now couple a couple of questions together with a red flag or two at the combine.. and you will have teams the will remove him from their draft board or push him down the board at least.

My opinion.. this kid is sitting their say round 6.. I say I take him. I think his football instincts are noticeable on the field and film.. pop even.

The reason I note his bench press, is I think it may help push him further down the draft board to where for me.. the risk / reward aspect swings in line and I pick him. Not that he will not or can not become a player.

I totally agree with you and what you said does make sense. However, I really do not think he will be there round 6. If he is, then I am on board with you in taking him. I just think everything else he did in the draft "popped" and it is being said it can elevate his draft value. I'm wondering if he got into a school's pro day. I would like to see his testing done there to see if anything changes from now to then.

I see a team taking him at the earliest, 5th round. Maybe even a real desperate team late in the 4th.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
“I quit counting at 10,” Mathieu answered. “I really don’t know.”

The assistant who passed along that story also told USA Today that Mathieu’s statement had him questioning LSU as much as he questions Mathieu.

“If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help,” the coach said.

geez
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.