Nonstopdrivel
11 years ago
UserPostedImage
Although Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning posted an excellent season in 2012, it wasn’t the best performance of his career, according to the Complete Quarterback Rating System (CQBR).

Not another rating!
Considering how vocal I am in my insistence that quarterbacks get too much of the credit for wins and too much of the blames for losses, it might seem a tad hypocritical to release yet another quarterback rating system into the wild.

What can I say? I am addicted to this rating business. Besides, I think it’s high time that budding football analysts like ourselves had access to a complete quarterback rating that takes into account a quarterback’s actual numbers on the field, one that doesn’t rely on mystical concepts like “clutch factor” and “expected points.”

Concepts like those are undoubtedly interesting, and they may even be very useful. The problem is they are also inherently subjective, based as they are on value judgments of what is “good” and “bad” and how “good” or “bad” they are.

There is definitely a place for those kinds of rating systems. They do an excellent job of provoking debate and discussion, which is what they are designed to do.

On the other hand, there is also a place for a rating system that takes an objective, dispassionate look at a quarterback’s production, one that doesn’t care how he gets the job done but simply paints a picture of where his performance ranked with respect to that of his peers.

Complete Quarterback Rating (CQBR)
The Complete Quarterback Rating System (CQBR) fills just such a niche. It looks at everything a quarterback does between the white lines — both passing and rushing — and takes into account how well he maintains ball security. Rather than trying to weight a quarterback’s passing and rushing by how much of an effect each has on winning, however, CBQR simply weights them by the number of respective attempts.

This exciting approach means that the CBQR doesn’t care whether a particular quarterback is a pass-first quarterback or a run-first quarterback. As long as he does what he does best, he can have a high rating.

An immobile quarterback like Peyton Manning of the Denver Broncos can have a very high CBQR despite being an ineffective rusher, because he hardly ever scrambles and his low rusher rating doesn’t affect his overall rating much. By contrast, a quarterback like Michael Vick of the Philadelphia Eagles, who for most of his career was far and away one of the greatest rushers in league history (at least in terms of yards per attempt) but was never an elite pocket passer, can also shine. A quarterback who can do it all, like Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers, is going to look good no matter what he does.

In other words, the beauty of the CQBR is that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

That being said, protecting the football is paramount to attaining a high CQBR. Because the NFL lumps all quarterback fumbles together instead of separating passing fumbles from rushing fumbles, we were forced to give fumbles their own sub-rating. No matter how good a passer or rusher a quarterback is, therefore, if he can’t hold on to the football, his rating will suffer.

UserPostedImage
A quarterback like Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers, who can both pass and run, fares very well in the CQBR.

How it’s calculated
We assembled quarterback statistical data from 2012 dating back to the divisional realignment in 2002. All quarterbacks with at least 100 passing attempts were included, comprising a dataset of 486 quarterback-seasons. We broke down the complete quarterback rating into three sections: passer rating (PR), rusher rating (RR), and fumble rating (FR).

Passer rating
Passer rating consists of the following statistical categories:

[list]
  • Completion percentage (CMP%): percent of passing attempts that resulted in a completion
  • Touchdown percentage (TD%): percent of passing attempts that resulted in a touchdown
  • Yards per dropback (YPD): average net passing yardage per dropback (passing attempt or sack)[/list]
  • Anyone familiar with the NFL passer rating formula will see that there is a close relationship between the two passer ratings. Whereas NFL passer rating is based on yards per attempt (YPA), however, CQBR better reflects passing efficiency by taking into consideration the number of times a quarterback was sacked. A quarterback’s YPD will typically be lower than his YPA. The more times a quarterback is sacked, the lower his YPD will be.

An interesting effect of using YPD instead of YPA to calculate PR is that it accounts for quarterbacks who are either too immobile to avoid sacks or who choose to take sacks instead of throwing the ball away. Quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers cannot artificially inflate their PR by holding on to the ball longer, as they can with NFL passer rating.

It’s also worth noting that whereas the NFL passer rating was developed from passer data of the 1960s and early 1970s (a period Cold Hard Football Facts so colorfully calls the “Dead Ball era ”), PR is based on data from the past decade and thus provides a better assessment of the modern passing game.

Rusher rating
    Rusher rating consists of the following statistical categories:

[list]
  • Yards per carry (YPC): average yardage per rushing attempt
  • Touchdown percentage (TD%): percent of rushing attempts that resulted in a first down[/list]
  • The reason we created a rusher rating specifically for quarterbacks instead of using the rusher rating system  (WRR) by which we evaluate running backs is twofold: First, the conditions under which a quarterback rushes are usually quite different from those under which a running back rushes; it tends to be much easier for a quarterback to have a higher YPC than a typical running back. (For most of his career, Michael Vick had the highest average of any back in history at over 8 ypc.) Second, FUM% is built into the WRR, so breaking out fumbles requires us to adjust the formula; it only makes sense to recalibrate the scale to the cohort of quarterbacks themselves.

Fumble rating
    Fumble rating consists of fumble percentage (FUM%), defined as the percentage of total plays (passing attempts, rushes, and sacks) on which a quarterback fumbled.

Putting it together
    PR and RR are weighted by their respective attempts and added together. So if, for example, a quarterback dropped back to pass 300 times (including sacks) and rushed 100 times in a season, his PR is multiplied by 0.75 and his RR by 0.25. This prevents a quarterback’s passing or rushing attempts from disproportionately affecting his CQBR, helping to make the rating system more scheme agnostic — in other words, ensuring it favors neither pass-first nor run-first quarterbacks. (The reality, of course, is that passing will almost always be heavier weighted than rushing, since seldom, if ever, does a starting quarterback attempt more rushes than passes in a game, much less a season).

The weighted sum of PR and RR is then multiplied by two so that the weighted average of PR, RR, and FR can be calculated to produce the final CQBR.

Because the system is not weighted by how “good” or “bad” we think any of the categories are, FR can (for better or for worse) have a fairly significant impact on final rating. For example, in 2012, rookie Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson had a superb PR (76.97) and RR (80.06), but his high FUM% (2.82%, FR = 25.94) brought his CQBR down to a still respectable 60.41. By contrast, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had a stellar PR (87.71) and a terrible RR (21.98), but because he attempted so few rushes, his outstanding FUM% (0.33%, FR = 85.22) helped keep his final CQBR up at 85.27 — highest of any quarterback that season.

In this regard, CQBR reflects the idea that there is more to being an all-around quarterback than slinging the ball and making plays with the feet. Protecting the football is important too. A quarterback can throw can throw as many touchdowns and scramble for as many yards as he wants, but a pair of untimely turnovers can still be enough to doom his team against an opportunistic opponent.

The scale
    To create the scale for for each of the sub-ratings, we first calculated the means and standard deviations for all relevant statistical categories in the 2002-2012 data set. The scale for each category was then bounded as follows:
       0 = μ - 2σ
      50 = μ
    100 =  μ + 2σ 
    where μ is the mean and σ is the standard deviation for that category.

The scale was of course inverted for FR, such that a high FUM% produces a low FR.

To put it another way, 100 on this scale equates to roughly the 98th percentile of efficiency -- an elite level of efficiency -- while 0 equates to roughly the 2nd percentile, an extremely low level of efficiency. A rating of 50 represents an exactly average degree of efficiency.

The highest possible CQBR is 655.30, which would occur if the quarterback averaged 99 yards and a touchdown per dropback, threw no interceptions, ran for 99 yards and a touchdown on every rushing attempt, and never fumbled.

The lowest theoretical CQBR is -1,325.16, which would require a statistical impossibility: a quarterback would have to intercepted on every pass and yet somehow still complete the attempt and have the wide receiver run backwards to average -99 yards per dropback; average -99 yards per rushing attempt and never score; and fumble on every single play.

Negative CQBRs are possible, however, and have occurred, one notable example being San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith (2005), who posted CQBR of -13.14 on the season!

Weaknesses
    The main weakness of the CQBR is that relies upon fumbles, which the NFL did not record before 1945. Fortunately, fumbles are only one element of the rating and are not intertwined with the rest of the formula, so all is not lost. With the use of statistical tools like the z-score , quarterbacks can be ranked based on how much they stood out from their peers, allowing us to make comparisons across eras. (A great example of a question that a z-score could answer is "Did Brett Favre's 1995-1998 campaigns really comprise the greatest period of dominance by any quarterback in history?")

Some might argue that the fact fumbles have such a significant impact on the final rating is also a weakness, but that is a matter for debate sure to be hashed out thoroughly here at PackersHome and elsewhere.

Others will find it displeasing that the CQBR is strictly a measure of efficiency and isn’t weighted to favor high-volume quarterbacks, and it will no doubt be debated endlessly.

Formula
    Here is the formula for CQBR:
    UserPostedImage 
    Equation 1. The equation for the WCSN Complete Quarterback Rating System (CQBR), which rates quarterback efficiency by a number of statistical measures. A mean efficiency produces a CQBR = 50.00. (Click on image to enlarge.)

where ATTp = passing attempts, ATTr = rushing attempts, TD%p = passing touchdown percentage, and TD%r = rushing touchdown percentage. (Other variable names are explained above.)

Although the formula looks daunting at first glance, it is relatively easy to plug in to a spreadsheet. In fact, we’ve already done the legwork for you. Feel free to download this spreadsheet  and use it for your own investigations.

Top-rated quarterbacks of 2012
    Now that we’ve laid out the background in exhaustive detail, let’s look at how the quarterbacks stacked up in 2012. As a bonus, the passer rating (PR), rusher rating (RR), and fumble rating (FR) are included for each quarterback to give insight into how the final CQBR was obtained.

UserPostedImage 
    UserPostedImage 
    Table 1. Complete Quarterback Ratings (CQBR) for all NFL quarterbacks with at least 100 passing attempts in the 2012 regular season. (Click on images to enlarge.)

Due to space constraints, passing attempts, sacks, and rushing attempts were left out of the table. If you want to see how attempts affected the weightings of the sub-rating for each of the quarterbacks, check out this spreadsheet .

Remember that 100 represents an elite level of performance; 50 represents exactly average performance; and 0 represents extremely poor performance. To sustain a rating of 80 or above for an entire season is outstanding.

Acknowledgments
    My thanks go out to Jon Vander Woude , who spent a great deal of time hammering out the details of the system. The final conceptual design is largely of his devising. I also wish to express my appreciation to Andy Froehle , who consulted on some of the finer structural points. Finally, I want to thank my longsuffering wife, Katie Decker, who patiently went character by character through the formula and rooted out any fundamental logic or algebraic errors I had made. She helped simplify the equation and make it readable. It turns out there are advantages to being married to a math teacher after all!

Any remaining errors are, of course, my own.
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    11 years ago
    In the future, after v2.0 is released as stable, posts marked with the "Blog" topic status will be displayed on the front page of the site.
    UserPostedImage
    Pack93z
    11 years ago
    I can accept a stat computation based on tangible elements as raw statistics verse subjective insertions being added as part of the formula.

I like the format.. albeit that I am not sure that we will ever get to the point were any collection of statistics will really properly define the impact a player has upon a team. Many of the impacts, both positive and negative, are just not measurable.
    "The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
    steveishere
    11 years ago
    So the fumble rating goes into the final score but interceptions have no part of it? That doesn't really make too much sense.
    Nonstopdrivel
    11 years ago

posts marked with the "Blog" topic status

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I didn't know what, if anything, that feature did. I just knew you used to beg people to write for the blog, so I thought it might have something to do with that and figured if you didn't appreciate it, you could take off the tag.

What I find perhaps most interesting about the CQBR is what it shows us about Aaron Rodgers. He still comes out as no. 2 in the league for 2012 (tops in the league for 2011) despite being sacked so many times. If he would just stop taking so many sacks, he would have the highest rating in the league, and it wouldn't be all that close. But by taking sacks, he lowers his YPD average and also opens himself to more hits, which increases his chances of fumbling. It's the fumbles that, season after season, have lowered his CQBR.

I have been insisting for years that, in terms of individual performance, Rodgers is a much better quarterback than Tom Brady. The Patriots have been smart and ensured that Brady is one of the best-protected quarterbacks in the league. But that knee injury still looms large in the back of his head, and in the rare games where opposing teams ball up and are willing to pass rush and stop worrying about giving up the big play, we have seen him get indecisive and even crumble. There is no way Brady could ever have accomplished behind the Packers the things that Rodgers has. That being said, Brady gets farther in the playoffs more consistently, partly because he is playing against such weak divisional opposition, but partly because he doesn't take so many hits. I am hoping that as Rodgers mellows a bit with age and stops being so cocky out on the field, he'll start taking what plays present themselves and stop getting blasted so often.

In that sense, I think Brady plays smarter than Rodgers, and I hope Rodgers learns to emulates his example. But in terms of toughness, skills, and abilities, Rodgers puts Brady to shame. It would be such a waste of a rare talent if the Packers are never able to win more than one Super Bowl with Rodgers at the helm.
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    11 years ago

I didn't know what, if anything, that feature did. I just knew you used to beg people to write for the blog, so I thought it might have something to do with that and figured if you didn't appreciate it, you could take off the tag.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Yes, I always encourage people to write blog type posts because I believe it offers a lot to the members and to the site.

UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    11 years ago
    It looks interesting. I have to wait until tonight when I have more time to study it closer.

Any calculations that involve Mu needs more time than I can offer at the office.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Mucky Tundra (11m) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    now / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.