QCHuskerFan
11 years ago
Many threads have been discussing Free agency and what Ted Thompson should do. So what is the #1 need? Is it LB? DT or S?

You can argue all you like. If you answer anything other than QB, you're wrong. It is the only position where if we suffer an injury, the year is over. In my opinion.
nerdmann
11 years ago

Many threads have been discussing Free agency and what Ted Thompson should do. So what is the #1 need? Is it LB? DT or S?

You can argue all you like. If you answer anything other than QB, you're wrong. It is the only position where if we suffer an injury, the year is over. In my opinion.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Harrell can get us through. We got a ton of weapons on offense. Plus Coleman is gonna get an offseason in the QB school, it's unknown how big his year 2 leap is gonna be.

Far as I'm concerned our biggest need is still OLB, then DL.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
11 years ago
I don't think there is just one need that outweighs the others. To me, I see DE, DT, NT and OLB as top needs, followed by S, C, ILB, LT and RB.

Our sack totals were decent last season, but our takeaways dropped, and our run D was abysmal. We really need to shut down the run, and more size and speed up front would help. I thought we lacked athleticism on the outside opposite Matthews, and I'm a bit concerned about trusting Perry to come back all the way and make that a non-issue.

I think our O, as it stands is sound. I don't see any giant, gaping holes there in the starters. Newhouse is not the best LT, but he's not the worst either. I think EDS will be great at C. And I like DuJuan Harris. Good back.

If I had to pick one as a supreme need for the Packers it would be a top DE talent. The entire line needs solid additions at all 3 positions. I would love to get an athletic LB that we could employ as a spy against those running QBs.

If Perry and Bish can come back from injury and make significant contributions throughout the season, that would be huge! But, we need DL help in the worst way.
Pack93z
11 years ago

We have Harrell that has been in the system for a couple of years now and Coleman which many people are raving about. There isn't a guy available that is going to replace Rodgers in free agency... and why draft another rookie when we have a young'in on the roster.

Now.. if we get late in the draft and a guy is sitting there and looking pretty.. take him.. otherwise I have more confidence in our current options than relying on a solution this offseason for the upcoming season.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

Lets trade for Brady, Peyton and Brees. Can't have to much good depth at QB.

but then Ted will be calling me to be the LT because I'm am all they will be able to afford.

Oline,Dline,LB are our three main areas of need. Improve teh Oline, will keep Rodgers upright and improve the run game. Dline will help both the LBer and Dbs. Lbers will help the secondary and Dline.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
Biggest need?.....FIRE TED THOMPSON!!!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
no rookie will take the place of 🇦🇷 . If he goes down the season is lost no matter what.

The greatest need is depth.

We have starters at every position but help is nice luxury to have every where. Some will even push for a starting position.
UserPostedImage
sschind
11 years ago

I understand the gist of what you are saying but if you think the the backup QB is the most important need on the roster right now I would highly recommend that Ted Thompson ignore the most important need. What I mean is there are some things that you can't do much about. Shoring up the BU QB position this season is going to be very difficult. Who are you going to get in FA? Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, Drew Stanton, David Garrard, Brady Quinn? They are the best of the bunch and I wouldn't give a plugged nickle for any of them and feel any more confident than I would with Harrell or Coleman for a few games. Draft a rookie? Anytime after the third round if the right guy is there then get him but that won't solve the BU QB position this season. There are a lot of teams in the same boat right now. Heck after looking at the QB depth charts on all the teams I can't think of maybe more than half a dozen I would rather have and they are either not available or wouldn't come cheap.

Depth is important but I dare say depth at the QB position may be less important than you think. For an elite QB like Rodgers you won't have anyone that could replace him and give you more than half of what he gives you and I dare say pretty much anybody could give you half. I'd rather have a team built so that if your backup QB has to come in he doesn't have to win games for you. Hopefully the rest of your team is solid enough to absorb a few weeks without the #1 guy and if you have to go longer than that you are probably screwed anyway.

As far as injuries, like I said pretty much every team would suffer if their starter went out. The only ones who might not are the Patriots (if Mallet has developed enough) the Texans (Yates looked pretty good and they are a running team anyway) The Titans (Hasselbeck may be better than Locker anyway) The Redskins (If Cousins' brief performance is any indicator of what he can do) and the Seahawks (if they keep Flynn around) Of course with the Patriots, Texans and Seahawks you have great teams to help the backup as well.

There are a few teams that may not suffer if they lose their starters not because their backups are so good but because their starters suck or at least are not much better than the backups. Those teams are going to be at the bottom anyway and a lot of them will be drafting QBs this year..

All in all while you do have to plan for injuries I don't think you make the backup QB position a priority if there are other more pressing needs. Which brings me to your question, I don't think the BU QB position is the most important need. I think D Line, another pass rushing LB or a safety are bigger concerns.

That's not to say I think Ted Thompson should ignore it, just that I don't think there is anyone available to make it a priority.
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago
I asked my question as to what is the biggest need on the roster. Not who to sign or draft. I still think the biggest hole in the roster is the backup to Arod. Packers proved they can live without Matthews, Raji, Woodson, Perry, etal last year. Still made the playoffs. Still swept the Bears. Still a good year. Think Harrell is getting us there?

Remember the game last year when Aaron Rodgers got dinged? Harrell came in. Ball was on the 0.5 yard line. Simple play. Just hand it off to the RB, right? Nope. Fumbled snap. It's not fair to use that as sole proof we have a weakness at QB, but what if we lost that game? Aaron Rodgers is out for one play and it goes bad. I have no faith in either backup.

Guess that's why I go to church Sunday mornings. Pray for AR's health!
nerdmann
11 years ago

I asked my question as to what is the biggest need on the roster. Not who to sign or draft. I still think the biggest hole in the roster is the backup to Arod. Packers proved they can live without Matthews, Raji, Woodson, Perry, etal last year. Still made the playoffs. Still swept the Bears. Still a good year. Think Harrell is getting us there?

Remember the game last year when Aaron Rodgers got dinged? Harrell came in. Ball was on the 0.5 yard line. Simple play. Just hand it off to the RB, right? Nope. Fumbled snap. It's not fair to use that as sole proof we have a weakness at QB, but what if we lost that game? Aaron Rodgers is out for one play and it goes bad. I have no faith in either backup.

Guess that's why I go to church Sunday mornings. Pray for AR's health!

Remember when Bishop first came in? He overpursued and Apete got past him.

Once he was able to play enough to get in the swing of things, he was fine.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.