dfosterf
15 years ago
I don't like this thread, I don't like it at all. Nodak makes far too much sense and I hate it when that happens, especially coming from a Vikings fan. The only response I have to silly threads like this one is... Oh ya, well, I'm gonna go get my big brother... THEN we'll see.
NodakPaul
15 years ago

no edge on the passing game? Come on, you have tarvaris jackson and who at receiver?

"warhawk" wrote:

I didn't look at the Packers passing offense versus the Vikings passing offense. Why would I? Those two units are never on the field at the same time.

When I look at the Vikings passing DEFENSE versus the Packers passing OFFENSE, I call it a tie. When I look at the Vikings passing OFFENSE against the Packers passing DEFENSE, I gave the advantage to the Packers.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

And what basis can you possibly use to support this? You pass defense has been one of the worst in the league and our pass offense one of the best. If, in fact, this catagory was even close to a tie it would be us losing 34-0 instead of you guys.

You guys have plenty of strengths but pass defense ain't one of 'em and until they prove that not to be true it is what it is. The facts are your DB's do not match up well with our catch and run receivers so I cannot see how in the world you can call this a draw.

The bottom line is if AP breaks loose for big gains we probably lose the game and there is certainly reason to be concerned (for us) that this could happen but our passing offense is going to get the better of the Vikes pass "D".

"gakko" wrote:

<sigh> Did you even read the original post? I think I stated my reasons pretty well. Here is that particular section again:

Vikings Passing Defense vs Packers Passing Offense
Edge: None

For the Pack, Driver and Jennings can be difference makers, and even though Rodgers is new to the starting spot, this is his fourth year in the system. HOwever, the Packers OL is in a bad spot. Not only have they not given the QB any time so far in preseason, Scott Wells was also hampered by a torso injury throughout preseason. If he can't start, expect Spitz to continue to fill in at center. With the extent of Josh Sitton's knee injury still unknown, we could be looking at Barbre and Colledge as the two startign guards this year. If the OL was in better shape, the edge would go to the Packers here. But because of the OL, it is a tie.
On the Vikings side, I am not going to cite Minnesota's last place ranking in total passing yards last year because that stat is skewed by the run defense. Sharper and Madieu Williams are still learning to work with each other, and they haven't been on the field together a lot in the preseason. Griffin is looking better, but still needs some polishing at the CB position. Jared Allen will definitely bring the pressure, and will get at least one sack. The Vikings easily have one of the best DLs in the league, and that should translate into a much better passing defense.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

While your pass offense was very good last year, there are several things different this year. I like Rodgers as a QB, but he will not put up the same kind of numbers that Fav-re did last year - especially not in his first NFL start. Your OL has also been hit hard by the injury bug.

As for the Vikings, while our pass defense was poor last year, there are several things different this year. Specifically the addition of a pass rush, which was sorely lacking last year.

I agree that the packers WRs have the edge over the Vikings secondary, especially with M.Williams out. But they are only a part of the passing equation. You also have a green QB behind a suspect OL against the best DL in the league. The advantages and disadvantages to both teams even out rather well.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
zombieslayer
15 years ago
The whole Packers Pass O vs Vikings Pass D rests on our OL vs their DL. Yes, we have better WRs than their DBs. I think Nodak has stated this more than once. But as we saw in the Super Bowl, the threat of a superior WR staff can be minimized by a strong pass rush.

The Giants DBs were average at best and Randy Moss was hands down the best WR in the NFL last year. What happened? The DL never gave Brady enough time to even look for an open receiver.

So this whole argument goes to how our OL fares up against their DL. Our OL is battered. We'll need Wells healthy, and we'll need better blocking by our RBs because you know someone will get through.

I'm guessing the determining factors in this game will be turnovers and the battle of our OL vs their DL. AP is the 2nd best RB in the NFL, but if we can keep him off the field, then we can minimize his threat.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
pack_in_black
15 years ago

And the Packers have lost a key component to their second ranked passing attack from last year. While I think that Rodgers will be a good QB, I don't think he will be able to put up a very good performance against the Vikings. First start ever, nationally televised game, a quarter of the fans still booing him, going against the best DL in the league, and Fav-re's picture printed on every ticket. Lots of pressure...

"NodakPaul" wrote:

First, that Favre on the tickets line made me laugh. Since I think I detected humorous intent, I doubt Aaron's gonna be on the sidelines between drives looking at fans' ticket stubs... lol

While I agree he'll show a little response to the pressure, he did fine on MNF's preseason opener, so the national audience thing shouldn't be a big factor, the Lambeau faithful gave him a standing o in his first appearance as a starter, and Mike McCarthy is a good enough coach to call plays to protect him from your admittedly impressive d-line.

Just my two pennies
UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
TheEngineer
15 years ago

And the Packers have lost a key component to their second ranked passing attack from last year. While I think that Rodgers will be a good QB, I don't think he will be able to put up a very good performance against the Vikings. First start ever, nationally televised game, a quarter of the fans still booing him, going against the best DL in the league, and Fav-re's picture printed on every ticket. Lots of pressure...

"pack_in_black" wrote:

First, that Favre on the tickets line made me laugh. Since I think I detected humorous intent, I doubt Aaron's gonna be on the sidelines between drives looking at fans' ticket stubs... lol

While I agree he'll show a little response to the pressure, he did fine on MNF's preseason opener, so the national audience thing shouldn't be a big factor, the Lambeau faithful gave him a standing o in his first appearance as a starter, and Mike McCarthy is a good enough coach to call plays to protect him from your admittedly impressive d-line.

Just my two pennies

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I think Aaron has learned something between preseason game 1 and preseason game 4. That's if you try and push too hard to do well and try to make things happen, chances are you're going to get sacked. Just play within yourself and make the quick throws, and he'll be fine.

For this reason I think he'll be less daunted by the the MNF game, and it won't be as big as a factor as it usually is for 1st time starters (who are generally within their first 2 or 3 years - not a 4 year, same offense man like Rodgers).
blank
warhawk
15 years ago

no edge on the passing game? Come on, you have tarvaris jackson and who at receiver?

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I didn't look at the Packers passing offense versus the Vikings passing offense. Why would I? Those two units are never on the field at the same time.

When I look at the Vikings passing DEFENSE versus the Packers passing OFFENSE, I call it a tie. When I look at the Vikings passing OFFENSE against the Packers passing DEFENSE, I gave the advantage to the Packers.

"warhawk" wrote:

And what basis can you possibly use to support this? You pass defense has been one of the worst in the league and our pass offense one of the best. If, in fact, this catagory was even close to a tie it would be us losing 34-0 instead of you guys.

You guys have plenty of strengths but pass defense ain't one of 'em and until they prove that not to be true it is what it is. The facts are your DB's do not match up well with our catch and run receivers so I cannot see how in the world you can call this a draw.

The bottom line is if AP breaks loose for big gains we probably lose the game and there is certainly reason to be concerned (for us) that this could happen but our passing offense is going to get the better of the Vikes pass "D".

"NodakPaul" wrote:

<sigh> Did you even read the original post? I think I stated my reasons pretty well. Here is that particular section again:

Vikings Passing Defense vs Packers Passing Offense
Edge: None

For the Pack, Driver and Jennings can be difference makers, and even though Rodgers is new to the starting spot, this is his fourth year in the system. HOwever, the Packers OL is in a bad spot. Not only have they not given the QB any time so far in preseason, Scott Wells was also hampered by a torso injury throughout preseason. If he can't start, expect Spitz to continue to fill in at center. With the extent of Josh Sitton's knee injury still unknown, we could be looking at Barbre and Colledge as the two startign guards this year. If the OL was in better shape, the edge would go to the Packers here. But because of the OL, it is a tie.
On the Vikings side, I am not going to cite Minnesota's last place ranking in total passing yards last year because that stat is skewed by the run defense. Sharper and Madieu Williams are still learning to work with each other, and they haven't been on the field together a lot in the preseason. Griffin is looking better, but still needs some polishing at the CB position. Jared Allen will definitely bring the pressure, and will get at least one sack. The Vikings easily have one of the best DLs in the league, and that should translate into a much better passing defense.

"gakko" wrote:

While your pass offense was very good last year, there are several things different this year. I like Rodgers as a QB, but he will not put up the same kind of numbers that Fav-re did last year - especially not in his first NFL start. Your OL has also been hit hard by the injury bug.

As for the Vikings, while our pass defense was poor last year, there are several things different this year. Specifically the addition of a pass rush, which was sorely lacking last year.

I agree that the packers WRs have the edge over the Vikings secondary, especially with M.Williams out. But they are only a part of the passing equation. You also have a green QB behind a suspect OL against the best DL in the league. The advantages and disadvantages to both teams even out rather well.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

In '05 when we had the top rated pass defense I thought it was a joke because nobody HAD to throw it to beat us. Conversely, I see no justification for a poor pass defense because you stop the run well? What does that have to do with anything other than they should KNOW they opposing teams are going to throw it at them and SHOULD be able then to stop it.

Your same comments could easily have been made last year about how outclassed our young "O" line would be against that "D" front yet we eaked out a 34-0 win.

You also seem to put a lot of eggs in the Jared Allen basket to all of a sudden take a team that was poor at rushing the QB and now they will be good there. Better does not make good enough until that is proven.

I like Ted Thompson because he deals in reality and gets the guys that are needed to really make a team better over pure optimism. The Vikes struck one cord there and that was Allen but as far as TJack, he should be long gone and some guys remotely capable to the days of Moss are sorely needed at receiver. No, an ex-Bear that's never done jack against us does not qualify.

It's no coincidence that the teams hoisting the big trophy at the end all chuck it pretty damn good. You can say what you want about NY and yes they played unbelievable on defense but what won that SB was Eli getting hot those last 7-8 games. He plays same ole, same ole, and NY get's no where near the SB. That's reality.

And if ARod doesn't get it done you can pretty well know we will suck too so that you see that reality is for everyone.
"The train is leaving the station."
bozz_2006
15 years ago
well done warhawk. +1
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

The Vikes struck one cord there and that was Allen but as far as TJack, he should be long gone and some guys remotely capable to the days of Moss are sorely needed at receiver. No, an ex-Bear that's never done jack against us does not qualify.

"warhawk" wrote:

To beat the Vikings this year is to beat them the same way in '07. Keep AP off the field. How? Get an early lead. Childress will panic and start playing TJack instead of their dynamic running duo and we win.

Things we cannot do:
1) turn the ball over,
2) let anyone get to Aaron.

I don't see the big deal about Berrian. He's an average WR. Not a huge pickup. We keep their running game off the field and force them to pass, we win in a blowout.

I'm always worried about the Vikings every year because on paper, they look absolutely sick. Then the season starts and they implode.

On paper, the Vikings should be in a position to challenge us for the NFC North. But as I've said earlier this year, even without Favre, the NFC North is ours. The Vikings will find a way to screw it all up.

Sorry, Nodak. You know what they say about history.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
NodakPaul
15 years ago

It's no coincidence that the teams hoisting the big trophy at the end all chuck it pretty damn good.

"warhawk" wrote:

Yeah, like Brad Johnson when he won with Tampa Bay. Oh wait no... I must have been thinking about Trent Dilfer with the Ravens. No wait, that's not it either... Let's see, the Bears made it to the big game because Grossman played so... good?

Well Manning is great... but for some reason he only has one ring - and that was against the Bears. Fav-re was pretty damn good, but when was the last time he got a ring? The Pats broke Minnesota's record for most points scored in a single season last year. Coincidently neither team got a ring when they did so.

History is riddled with teams who are successful with a great defense but average offense. Having a great passing game is NOT the sole way to a SB birth.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
porky88
15 years ago

It's no coincidence that the teams hoisting the big trophy at the end all chuck it pretty damn good.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Yeah, like Brad Johnson when he won with Tampa Bay. Oh wait no... I must have been thinking about Trent Dilfer with the Ravens. No wait, that's not it either... Let's see, the Bears made it to the big game because Grossman played so... good?

Well Manning is great... but for some reason he only has one ring - and that was against the Bears. Fav-re was pretty damn good, but when was the last time he got a ring? The Pats broke Minnesota's record for most points scored in a single season last year. Coincidently neither team got a ring when they did so.

History is riddled with teams who are successful with a great defense but average offense. Having a great passing game is NOT the sole way to a SB birth.

"warhawk" wrote:

Wait a second. This isn't the first time I've heard a Viking fan compare their team to those teams but that defense isn't on the level of Baltimore's or Tampa Bay's from those Super Bowl years. Their defensive line maybe but Derrick Brooks or Ray Lewis isn't there.

Tampa Bay had a nice passing game the year they won the Super Bowl. Johnson threw for over 3,000 yards and 22 touchdowns. Also only 6 picks when I looked it up which is amazing. Keyshaun Johnson was a pretty good receiver too something Minnesota really doesn't have.

You strike me as someone who is a realist. Do you think that defense can be like the Ravens? If not then do you think Jackson can have a season like Brad Johnson?

For Minnesota to win the Super Bowl I think one of those things need to happen.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.