BaconDrivelMint
11 years ago

After the 2010 season, Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones was not offered a new contract and became a free agent.  Having just come off of a Super Bowl win, it was widely speculated that Jones would see some decent demand throughout the league.  Jones was looking for something in the neighborhood of $5 [...]

JerseyAl  wrote:

Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I think the only team to court James Jones was the Vikings as well. There is probably a stigma on Packers WR that Aaron Rodgers + system = good WR.
UserPostedImage
JustinAVA182
11 years ago
So now Packers offer sheet drops to what 7 mill?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
The article is a good one but I do take issue with his statement:

If you read the Twitter feeds of many Packers fans, you’d think this team hadn’t been in a playoff game in years. Sure, many of them think the Packers should sign every single free agent who comes available, age and asking price aside.

Jason Perone wrote:

That at best is an exaggeration. At worst an outright lie. I have seen fans wish the Packers signed 1-2 FAs over a period of a few years. I have seen some that wish the Packers signed someone every year. I have not seen anyone say that want GB to sign "every FA who is available." First off thee isn't enough positions on the roster. Secondly I have not seen anyone suggest that GB needs to fill that many holes.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

So now Packers offer sheet drops to what 7 mill?

Originally Posted by: JustinAVA182 

I don't think Uncle Teddy backtracks like that. He makes what he feels is a fair offer and stands by it. If he offered $10 I don't think he drops it to $7 because of the lack of competitors.

It is better for him and the team to welcome back a player with open arms and tell them that they are glad the player went out and checked the market so they feel comfortable that GB management is on their side. (After all he was a player once too kind of a thing.)
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

I don't think Uncle Teddy backtracks like that. He makes what he feels is a fair offer and stands by it. If he offered $10 I don't think he drops it to $7 because of the lack of competitors.

It is better for him and the team to welcome back a player with open arms and tell them that they are glad the player went out and checked the market so they feel comfortable that GB management is on their side. (After all he was a player once too kind of a thing.)

Originally Posted by: wpr 

That is an interesting perspective. I tend to agree, a Thompson standing offer sheet would be just that. Maybe he comes back somewhere around 9?

Even more interesting, considering why a player like Jennings would move onto MIN? It would all have to be about the money. If they guy doesn't win there, those endorsements go away. This, over a marginal sum when the whole is considered. I think it would be a giant mistake for him to go to MIN.

Jennings is dialed in with Rodgers, one of the league's MVPs. The table is already set, especially if SJax signs.
Rockmolder
11 years ago

The article is a good one but I do take issue with his statement:

Jason Perone wrote:
If you read the Twitter feeds of many Packers fans, you’d think this team hadn’t been in a playoff game in years. Sure, many of them think the Packers should sign every single free agent who comes available, age and asking price aside.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

That at best is an exaggeration. At worst an outright lie. I have seen fans wish the Packers signed 1-2 FAs over a period of a few years. I have seen some that wish the Packers signed someone every year. I have not seen anyone say that want GB to sign "every FA who is available." First off thee isn't enough positions on the roster. Secondly I have not seen anyone suggest that GB needs to fill that many holes.

I absolutely hate it when bloggers/beat writers do this. Like they're the exalted ones of the Packers community, who see things much more clearly than the common fan folk. Aaron Nagler does this way too much for my liking, as well.

Anyway, on topic, this falls right in line with my post about our WRs being overrated from our own point of view. Jennings just isn't that nr. 1, doesn't produce greatly outside the slot (although very decently, still), yet isn't a Welker or Amendola.

And his age and injury history aren't on his side in FA.

That said, he'd be one heck of an addition to the Vikes, if you ask me.

play2win
11 years ago
Rockmolder, I think you're right.

Greg Jennings is a really interesting case in FA. He's super talented, and seems like a great teammate. In his 7 year career in GB, he had one 3 year stretch where he played in all 16 games. Each of those seasons (2008-2010) he went over 1000 yds, with 80 receptions or less.

He wants to break the bank on a deal, and I can't blame him. But, he had a really rough season to go into FA on, with less than 400 yds and 4 TDs. Mentally, I don't think he was all there, especially trying to come back from injury and knowing this may have been his last with GB. Seasons prior he proved himself just fine.

Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe cashed in for around $12M each per year. Wes Welker, arguably better than both of them, left NE for half of that. Amendola for less than that with NYG. News is Brandon Lloyd is looking to restructure his NE contract to take a pay cut and stay with the team.

I do think we overvalue some of our players. But, Jennings getting his numbers amidst a crowded WR corps speaks to his true talent. I think, if healthy, he can finish his career with GB with some huge success. I just wonder if he will want that over a bigger, even if marginally so, payday. Or, maybe not. Maybe he does break the bank and we can't afford him. This is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.
play2win
11 years ago
How shrewd is Ted Thompson?

I was just thinking about Jennings leaving for MIN, and the end of his stay here in GB. Did he get his nose pushed out of joint a bit with the Randall Cobb pick back in 2011? That kid came on like gangbusters in 2012. Cobb tied Jennings' career high for receptions in just his second season with 80. He added 8 TDs, which is not bad. Was Ted seeing that far into the future with the Cobb pick? Maybe.

It sure looks like that worked. Letting Jennings go for the monster contract didn't hurt us too bad as adding Randall Cobb back in '11 keeps us relatively stocked at WR.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

How shrewd is Ted Thompson?

I was just thinking about Jennings leaving for MIN, and the end of his stay here in GB. Did he get his nose pushed out of joint a bit with the Randall Cobb pick back in 2011? That kid came on like gangbusters in 2012. Cobb tied Jennings' career high for receptions in just his second season with 80. He added 8 TDs, which is not bad. Was Ted seeing that far into the future with the Cobb pick? Maybe.

It sure looks like that worked. Letting Jennings go for the monster contract didn't hurt us too bad as adding Randall Cobb back in '11 keeps us relatively stocked at WR.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Greg Jennings was offered a contract that averaged $10 million per year. Reports are that he wanted $12. Which is probably why he didn't accept the contract and since he overvalued himself, that's probably also the time he started having disconnected comments about being a Packers player. Looking at the big picture, it makes sense.

I think Ted Thompson is true to his word 95% of the time when he says he's taking the best available player and that is how the Packers landed Randall Cobb.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (12h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (12h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (13h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.