beast
11 years ago

this is off topic a bit, but I wonder if they would concider moving Bulaga to LT and let Barclay work RT.

I think they could give it a shot in TC. at least 🤔

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

First off, it's said players improve the most from their first year to their second and Barclay fits into that. So if he improves maybe depending on how much.

But based off what I saw last year, I'd say heck no. Barclay did well at RT (with help) considering he was a rookie UDFA. But he looked like an OG (with help) playing well at RT. But Barclay was a GREAT battler... he struggled but if a guy made a mistake he used it to make it even harder. If the OTs get healthy and do well, then the OGs need to watch out for Barclay. If Barclay improves enough the OTs might need to watch out as well.

Also as Mike McCarthy keeps saying Bulaga is an all pro RT (when fully healthy), he struggles against speed some (as the Seahawks game pointed out) so he might not be an all pro LT.

Newhouse seems up and down... but when he's up he does pretty well but doesn't finish giving a good pass rusher a couple chances to get by him. But he's shows the upside where he could handle it but still needs more work and needs to get more physical.

Plus there is Sherrod, who's said to be fully healthy, I've heard he's a power mauler RT by some during the draft, but honestly I never saw that on tape... what I saw was a great technician who beat guys with technique not power or brawling with them. So I think Newhouse and Sherrod would be best at LT... and I still don't get trying Sherrod at OG... seem like all that did was destroy his early confidence. I think they were trying to get his confidence up and push Lang at LG to be his best.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago

I disagree, but what do I know [suicide]

IMO the time has come to finally invest a high pick into that position. We have spent 2 firsts and a lot of money on the O-line, and the running game has not improved. I am a firm believer that the problem is our RBs and NOT the line. We have had late picks and a really risky pick (Green, and his crazy Hawaii scheme) and none have worked out.

It's time to try this another way.

Our O was not impressive this year against the constant cover-2. We need a RB who can take advantage.

I hear what you are saying, but it isn't even close to passing my personal eyeball test. I don't see a hole for the running back to run through, except when he has one, then seems to do just fine, thank-you very much.

Maybe our coaching and scheme is wrong. It happens. Personally, I lean more towards that than anything. Regardless, I'm pretty sure our line sucks, notwithstanding our recent investments into it. I'm far more optimistic about the RB's in the short-term-- again- eyeball test (subjective, of course)

I am not saying I think you are wrong- I just wonder about the whole damn disgusting thing. It SUCKS not having the-or close to "the" best line in the NFL, when I think we really oughta aspire to that...

I'd like to see some GBP reporter take Jeff Saturday out to some bar and get him drunk... then report on his perspective of the Packers line, scheme, RB's...

THAT would interest me.

...plus what Wayne said. I tried to explain that a while ago, got CREAMED for it in here...
beast
11 years ago

Our O was not impressive this year against the constant cover-2. We need a RB who can take advantage.

I don't know if the Packers are going to resign him or not... but Cedric Benson was getting good yards after contact.

If Starks could stay healthy he's pretty physical as well.

The Bucs are rumored to be looking to trade RB LeGarrette Blount for a 5th... he's got problems, including fumbling and pass blocking and some attitude... but Ahman Green had the fumbling problem, blocking normally is teachable to big backs... and attitude... tell coach Greene he looked at his Wife the wrong way that will work it's self out [boxing] 😆

Now for the speed backs,

Harris looked good.

Green has the speed but injuries (including a knee one) and he doesn't know how to read blocking or be patient... he got better about being patient and waiting for the hole but then got the knee injury (which I don't know, is he expected to fully heal?) ...

But now I got a name for ya...

LaRod Stephens-Howling.... I think he might be the next Sproles.

After the other RBs got injured he got a shot this last year, and when there was a tiny crack of a hole or bigger, he looked pretty good (for what you would expect).

Give him a better OL (than the horrible Cards OL) and a passing game (that Cards didn't have) where teams can't target him, he might be Sproles, and Mike McCarthy could use him like he used Cobb last season and have Cobb out on WR routes, basically Cobb is the new Jennings and Stephens-Howling is the new behind the OL Cobb / Sproles.

In cover 2, the Safeties are deep. Get him to the second level and he'd make thing happen.

Though other teams might be interested... like the Pats. Lions and Saints.

Pats lost Danny Woodhead

Saints like that kind of RB

Lions wanted a guy like that, but might be less interested now they got Bush, but might be willing to sign another.

UserPostedImage
11 years ago
IMO Our runningback situation right now is possibly the worst in the league. Alex Green be it due to injury (recovering from the ACL) or inability cannot handle the load, he doesn't seem to be able to find the hole and hit, he can run off tackle and outside but he just doesn't seem to have "it" to me. Starks has a lot of promise but dude has never finished a full season cannot rely on that as a prominent feature for the offense. Harris gave us a bit of a spark and is a nice versatile fixture for the offense, however his short stature is likely not going to allow him to be any sort of featured back. Sane has potential but again health is a huge question mark, and we don't know how Benson is going to bounce back if we even bring him back.

This is the kind of situation that really pisses me off. Thompson has to see how terrible we've been in the run game and I really think the Oline gets a worse rap than it deserves in this subject. Forking out a little extra for a Pass Blocking, receiving, punishing runner like Jackson would have been justified in my point of view, but I'm not a GM so what can you do. Thompson is a great drafter and talent evaulator but the dude has done little to nothing in free agency since we brought Pickett and Woodson aboard, he's got to see that we need some help and when we have a chance to address something like that in FA, paying a little extra is not always a bad thing.
Laser Gunns
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

I like Blount, Although i do confess to have a man-crush on all big RBs. So my bias is defiantly showing. We all remember what he did to us...

Stevens-Howling and Woodhead may be better suited for passing teams like us, but we have a history of choosing RBs around 6-feet, and I think both those guys are smaller.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
11 years ago
I've seen a lot of backs run in this game through my lifetime. I don't know when I have ever seen so much talent so terribly misused. Count me in the camp where play calling and poor coaching seem more the root cause of our rushing woes.

Despite that, we still improved last season, with major injuries decimating both the line and the RBs. I think that is a testament to the talent, as they were handled, coached all by the same crew, calling the same kinds of plays.

Yeah, the blocking seemed horrific, but a lot of that was poor coaching, even worse play calling, and poor play by Saturday.

Games where we gave up on the run we lost. Games where we committed to it we generally won. That makes our problems seem more a coaching issue.

I think our RBs are good. I think we may have more talent than we may realize on the OL. Reports were Datko was first round talent had he not injured hi shoulder.

A mauler C could be some big medicine in this draft.
Nonstopdrivel
11 years ago
I am firmly in the camp that that the Packers' offensive line is undertalented and that no running back -- not even Steven Jackson -- would look great behind it. I would far rather see Ted Thompson waste draft picks on offensive linemen until he finds someone who can manage to stay healthy before worrying about the running back. If this team rolls into camp with nothing more than Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod (who reporters say is still limping), Marshall Newhouse, and Don Barclay at the tackle positions, I say Thompson is gambling with his job security.

That being said, the more I watch film (huzzah for NFL Game Rewind!), the more I am convinced that a lot of the offensive line woes we are seeing leaguewide are a product of the offensive schemes themselves. Basically, offensive linemen are simply being asked to do too much with the modern high-flying aerial attacks and the bodies in the trenches haven't adapted yet. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the top offensive line prospects this year look more like oversized tight ends than traditional porkbellies, and indeed, many of them are converted tight ends. I think that is the wave of the future in the short term.

On the other hand, I also believe that the trend of pass-heavy offenses like the Packers, Patriots, Lions, and Saints is slowly peaking and may already be starting to reverse. Back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, certain coaches like Bill Belichick and a little later, Mike McCarthy, realized that they had maximized the potential of the running game, which had not improved in efficiency in decades. They realized that the only way to increase offensive output was to mine the untapped riches of the passing game, and that is what they did. (I am ignoring recent rule changes here, since the schematic changes preceded the rule changes.) The coaches who jumped on this bandwagon the earliest benefited the most. Coaches who have tried to scramble on recently, like Mike Tice, have discovered that the wave is already passing them by.

Ever the visionary, Belichick realizes that the tide is turning and he is getting ahead of it. He has made some noticeable changes to his offensive scheme lately. Coaches like Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll have been even bolder. McCarthy has been slower to adapt this time around, and it's hurting the team. He is hardheaded and perhaps a bit idealistic. Year after year he trots out the same basic scheme and won't adjust until Aaron Rodgers is punch drunk around Week 10 or so. Then he begrudgingly makes changes and suddenly Rodgers is able to stay upright again.

Until the Packers make some needed schematic changes, the line is going to look worse than it probably is. It's overstressed and overtaxed. Rodgers also doesn't do it any favors with his insistence on looking for the deep man instead of the dumpoff at the marker. McCarthy needs to find a way to flood the middle lanes with receivers; it was ridiculous how many games the middle of the field was entirely empty with all eligible receivers along the sidelines.

When the offense can more consistently convert on third downs, a running back may start to look more effective.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
11 years ago
By the way, here is a fun trivia question:

With respect to his own peers, who had statistically the greatest rushing season of all time?
UserPostedImage
JustinAVA182
11 years ago

By the way, here is a fun trivia question:

With respect to his own peers, who had statistically the greatest rushing season of all time?

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

OJ? 🤔
UserPostedImage
JustinAVA182
11 years ago
NO! nvm I change my answer!! Bo Jackson tecmo bowl hands down.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.