play2win
10 years ago

You have a freaking MVP at QB!

The Packers are one of 3 teams to be in the playoffs the last 4 years straight. Why would you want to radically change the one thing that has worked well?

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

You are not understanding. Of course we have an MVP QB. I'd like to see him have all kinds of success, but mostly, winning Super Bowls.

Running the ball more would make everything in the passing game better, especially with an MVP QB. Not to mention, the pass happy play calling has had detrimental effects on our success, and on our ability to win the big games. What about Rodgers continued health? Seems like one hell of a dice game to me, continuing to be as pass heavy as we've been and expecting him to continually come out of it unscathed.

Running more will take the heat off of Rodgers, forcing defenses to play us more honest, instead of sitting back deep in pass coverage with their DLs teeing off on our OL and Rodgers. Who gets worn out then?

And, what have we won these past two years? Bounced mercilessly out of our own Lambeau by the Giants in 2011, and by SF last year.

Running the ball more will also keep our own defense fresh while chewing up clock. You don't want that? Did you not see what adding a quality passer did to a power running game in PIT? 2 SB wins? Granted, I'm talking about doing the opposite in adding a power running game to a high quality passing attack, but the point is the same.

Did you not see who won the SB last year? How many carries do you think the Ravens RBs had in winning that Super Bowl? Against fucking San Francisco? I mean, that was a very powerful team they went up against and beat. They provided the recipe.

That's exactly what we need to do. And we need the punishing personnel to do it, along with the change in mindset.

Don't be fooled. That power running game they have made Joe Flacco a superstar. BTW, their RBs rushed 30 times in winning the AFC Championship. How many games did we rush 30 or more times by our RBs? What was the result?

Rodgers is a better QB than Flacco. Right? Well, now, does this proposed change sound so preposterous?

Only fools make the same mistakes over and over expecting different results.
warhawk
10 years ago
I would like to see us get tougher up the middle on both sides of the ball. I want the center of the oline to open up holes for decent yards inside the Tackle position and to hold out rushers putting pressure in Rodgers face.

On D I want tougher up the middle as well. We have good OLB'rs and Corners. We need toughness up the middle in both the run game and pressuring the QB.

Sending Hawk up the middle has produced little. Pressure from the middle has been poor.

I hope for a good tough Center, a stout DL, and a gorilla ILB that will ring ears would be nice.

Just saying our talent is best going outside to in when you look at our WR's, TE's, OLB's, Corners, etc., and the inside guys need to catch up.

You look at SF or Baltimore (last year) in this regard and they both are far and away stronger in the middle than we are.
"The train is leaving the station."
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I see a lot in here about wanting a shorter passing game. It seemed to me that last season the Packers had fewer long pass plays than in the two previous seasons. I'd like to see more, not less. Furthermore, I do not want to see the Packers go to a power running dominant game. Better yardage per carry, yes - which Harris and a better O Line should give us, but using a successful passing game to set up spot running plays is what I want to see - not running to set up passing game. What do you guys want? To be like the Vikings? hahaha

I want an O Line upgrade most of all - hopefully Sherrod providing that at LT and Bulaga getting back to 2011 form at RT with EDS continuing to do the job and improve at Center. Secondarily, what I would like to see from the defense is simply getting Perry and Bishop healthy and some kind of an upgrade at DE, either improvement in Neal or a first round draft pick like Jesse Williams or both.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
No more outside Zone run blocking. More run plays between tackle. Traditional WCO. Slants, drags and screens to setup the deep shots.

Defensively. Attitude and aggressiveness. Get mean up front, and on the edges. Sick of seeing 5-10 yard cushions on the WR. Instead of saying, we need to cover until the dline gets to the QB. I want them to be able ot say, we can take chances and press the WR because the QB won't have time to sit around and find an opening.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
1. Better OL play by everyone not named Sitton.
2. Better DL play by everyone not named Pickett.
3. More fundamentally-sound tackling.
4. More reliable FG kicking.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Did you not see who won the SB last year? How many carries do you think the Ravens RBs had in winning that Super Bowl? Against fucking San Francisco? I mean, that was a very powerful team they went up against and beat. They provided the recipe.

That's exactly what we need to do. And we need the punishing personnel to do it, along with the change in mindset.

Don't be fooled. That power running game they have made Joe Flacco a superstar. BTW, their RBs rushed 30 times in winning the AFC Championship. How many games did we rush 30 or more times by our RBs? What was the result?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

The power running game won the Super Bowl? Really? What about the 3 TD passes in the first half that built a 21-6 lead? One play into the second half and it was 28-6. That allowed the Ravens to run the whole second half with minimal success but draining the clock?

The Ravens RB's ran 32 times for 92 yards in the Super Bowl. 23 of those attempts were after they built a 22 point lead. You don't need a power running game to run the ball when you have a huge lead built by passing. Don't be fooled by looking at stats. The passing game won the SB for the Ravens.

You stated you 'want to see a complete shift to a run oriented power game on offense'. How is that not going away from a passing oriented team? We all want a little more balance, but to go away from what is working (And winning Super Bowls) is wrong.

Not winning the Super Bowl for 2 years is not reason to trash the offense. The offense put up 31 points against the 49ers. You should win games in which you score 31 points.

Look at the teams that have had elite running teams in the last 5 years? Tenn. Minn. Chicago. Houston. How many SB's do they have?

Look at the teams with elite passing games in the last 5 years? Packers, Patriots, Giants, Saints, Atlanta. Same question.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
QCHuskerFan, more than a pretty face. 👍
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
You can win a Superbowl in a number of different facets.. having a consistent running game to fall back on does nothing but give you more opportunities to win a Championship.

To me.. the key is balance.. the more you can do well and consistent.. the more opportunities it fashions to win or dominate a football game.

I think many also overlook what a running game does for your defense.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
10 years ago

The power running game won the Super Bowl? Really? What about the 3 TD passes in the first half that built a 21-6 lead? One play into the second half and it was 28-6. That allowed the Ravens to run the whole second half with minimal success but draining the clock?

The Ravens RB's ran 32 times for 92 yards in the Super Bowl. 23 of those attempts were after they built a 22 point lead. You don't need a power running game to run the ball when you have a huge lead built by passing. Don't be fooled by looking at stats. The passing game won the SB for the Ravens.

You stated you 'want to see a complete shift to a run oriented power game on offense'. How is that not going away from a passing oriented team? We all want a little more balance, but to go away from what is working (And winning Super Bowls) is wrong.

Not winning the Super Bowl for 2 years is not reason to trash the offense. The offense put up 31 points against the 49ers. You should win games in which you score 31 points.

Look at the teams that have had elite running teams in the last 5 years? Tenn. Minn. Chicago. Houston. How many SB's do they have?

Look at the teams with elite passing games in the last 5 years? Packers, Patriots, Giants, Saints, Atlanta. Same question.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

You are negating the effect their running plays had in opening up the pass in the first half. Entirely.

Just because they scored 3 TDs passing in the first half doesn't mean they weren't set up by the run.
First drive: 2 rushes out of 7 plays resulting in the TD pass.
Second drive: 1 pass, 3 straight rushes, followed by 5 pass plays results in punt.
Third drive, 3 straight rushes, pass, rush, pass, rush, pass, rush, pass for TD.
Fourth drive: rush, pass, rush, rush, pass, rush, pass, pass, rush results in turnover on downs on fake FG.
Fifth drive: pass, pass, pass TD.

16 first half rushes. 3 TD passes. But, according to you, none of those were the result of an opened up field for Flacco to throw on by Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce rushes....

OK. You're right. It was 3 passing TDs. Flacco is amazing. All done through the air. What was I thinking?

I will remind you they almost gave it all away in the 3rd Quarter by going away from the run.

Sixth drive: 3 pass plays to 1 run resulting in a punt.
Seventh drive: 2 pass plays to 1 run resulting in a punt.
Eighth drive: 1 run, 1 pass resulting in a fumble TO.

SF scores 2 TDs and a FG as a result of those failed drives to get back in it.

Oddly enough, they get their shit back together on their 9th drive: run, run, pass, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, run, pass, FG.

Tenth drive: 5 runs to 6 passes results in another FG.
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

You are negating the effect their running plays had in opening up the pass in the first half. Entirely.

Just because they scored 3 TDs passing in the first half doesn't mean they weren't set up by the run.
First drive: 2 rushes out of 7 plays resulting in the TD pass.
Second drive: 1 pass, 3 straight rushes, followed by 5 pass plays results in punt.
Third drive, 3 straight rushes, pass, rush, pass, rush, pass, rush, pass for TD.
Fourth drive: rush, pass, rush, rush, pass, rush, pass, pass, rush results in turnover on downs on fake FG.
Fifth drive: pass, pass, pass TD.

16 first half rushes. 3 TD passes. But, according to you, none of those were the result of an opened up field for Flacco to throw on by Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce rushes....

OK. You're right. It was 3 passing TDs. Flacco is amazing. All done through the air. What was I thinking?

I will remind you they almost gave it all away in the 3rd Quarter by going away from the run.

Sixth drive: 3 pass plays to 1 run resulting in a punt.
Seventh drive: 2 pass plays to 1 run resulting in a punt.
Eighth drive: 1 run, 1 pass resulting in a fumble TO.

SF scores 2 TDs and a FG as a result of those failed drives to get back in it.

Oddly enough, they get their shit back together on their 9th drive: run, run, pass, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, run, pass, FG.

Tenth drive: 5 runs to 6 passes results in another FG.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

No, I am not ignoring the effect of their rushing game. You implied they won due to their 35 rushing attempts. I pointed out more than half of those attempts came after they built a huge lead. When anyone knows to run the ball and shorten the game.

During the first half while they were piling up 21 points, Baltimore rushed for whopping 46 yards on 15 carries, if my math is correct. Numbers like that did not cause the 49ers to commit 9 players to stop the run. It did not change the dynamics of the game. It was balance, no doubt. But it was not a dominating, game changing performance. That was done by the passing game.

In the SB, Baltimore RB's rushed for 92 yards on 32 carries against the 49ers. In the playoff loss to the 49ers, GB's RBs rushed for 76 yards on just 13 carries. On the basis of those stats, the Ravens should be studying the Packers so they can improve their running game.

You are confusing the need to do a better job running the ball with the need for a complete shift of the offense. The Packers Offense is just fine. Mike McCarthy needs someone to remind him to run the ball a little more often and Aaron Rodgers needs to not check out of the run quite so much. But the design is just fine.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.