Pack93z
11 years ago
This contract really doesn't draw any type of stress for me.. it will get done and I believe that Rodgers sees the big picture ensuring the deal with put him in the proper placement in terms of contracts. However I believe it will be structured in a fashion that it will have a headline popping average, but much of that bulk to inflate the average will be pushed past a 4 or 5 year window where it will be reworked then to reset the cap numbers to keep the Packers salary cap viable enough to remain in the hunt.

It is how these deals work.. the biggest risk to the Packers will be Rodgers suffering a career ending or altering deal within the 4 or 5 year window. And for Rodgers.. he nor his family will have to worry about not obtaining enough in which he should be set for life.

"It's not something I think about. We were so blessed to be able to have that contract done in 2008. We knew at the time that was more money than I ever could have imagined signing for, and it was a no-brainer for me. But we knew if I performed the way I felt I was capable of performing, that by league standards that by the time I got into my third or fourth or fifth season, that I'd be underpaid by league standards.

"But I don't look at it that way. I look at it as I'm fortunate to make the kind of money I make and be in the situation I'm in and be with the Packers' organization. I want to retire as a Packer. They know that, the fans know that, my teammates know that, and this is where I want to be. I'm not worried about [a new contract.] We're still a few years away from me completing this deal, and whenever it comes time to make a new deal, I'm looking forward to maybe signing my last deal, playing it out, and retiring."

Aaron Rodgers  wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"

From KFFL

Packers | Aaron Rodgers update
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:11:44 -0700

Updating a previous item, there is league-wide speculation the Green Bay Packers and QB Aaron Rodgers are close to a contract extension that would see Rodgers earn an average of $25 million per year, making him the highest-paid player in NFL history. People familiar with the contract talks believe a deal will be completed this offseason, and could happen sooner rather than later.

http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl/green-bay-packers#ixzz2OsOu1WG1 

The key words here are EXTENSION and AVERAGE.

Extending AR's contract gives The Packers the option of including the money left on his current contract in his signing bonus and extending that money + any guaranteed money over the whole length of the contract.

The deal may be for an average of 25mil a year on paper, but the Guaranteed money is what is important.

I'm betting AR's cap hit will not exceed 10-12 mil for the 1st 4 years, then watch his yearly salary escalate.
That gives The Packers 4 years to work with other players, get them signed, then a restructure probably in the works for Aaron Rodgers after the 4th year.

Just a guess, but it is the way of The NFL contract negotiaions these days.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That is exactly how teams get into player contract and salary cap trouble, and Ted has shown the ability to NOT do that as much as possible.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I've heard that it's going to be a 6 year deal averaging $25 million per. I wouldn't even sign Barry Sanders for that money.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

That is exactly how teams get into player contract and salary cap trouble, and Ted has shown the ability to NOT do that as much as possible.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Depends on how the Signing Bonus and Roster Bonuses are handled.. look at Woodson's deal.. it had a ton of bonus money in it.. but past the first year or two.. most was roster bonuses which didn't hurt the Packers as they could exit out of it without much hit.

There is no other way to slice this though.. the QB position is becoming the new noose in which teams, players and the collective NFL will hang themselves from in terms of contract and cap balances.

And they all are assisting in getting themselves into it.. in our situation, I just hope Rodgers keeps his "big picture" mindset in a team first approach... well as much as this kind of money will allow.

I remember Brett setting the market for contract size... and the Packers were still allowed to remain competitive year in and out. I hope and remain confident in the Rodgers deal will do the same.

And a sizable bump to the cap in say 2015 may help as well. [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
11 years ago

I've heard that it's going to be a 6 year deal averaging $25 million per. I wouldn't even sign Barry Sanders for that money.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Until you're an owner like Gunny and I; your opinion on these matter really doensn't mean much! [grin1]
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

Until you're an owner like Gunny and I; your opinion on these matter really doensn't mean much! [grin1]

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I have been an owner for a longer tenure.. so 😝
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

Depends on how the Signing Bonus and Roster Bonuses are handled.. look at Woodson's deal.. it had a ton of bonus money in it.. but past the first year or two.. most was roster bonuses which didn't hurt the Packers as the could exit out of it without much hit.

There is no other way to slice this though.. the QB position is becoming the new noose in which teams, players and the collective NFL will hang themselves from in terms of contract and cap balances.

And they all are assisting in getting themselves into it.. in our situation, I just hope Rodgers keeps his "big picture" mindset in a team first approach... well as much as this kind of money will allow.

I remember Brett setting the market for contract size... and the Packers were still allowed to remain competitive year in and out. I hope and remain confident in the Rodgers deal will do the same.

And a sizable bump to the cap in say 2015 may help as well. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I was refering to this.

I'm betting AR's cap hit will not exceed 10-12 mil for the 1st 4 years, then watch his yearly salary escalate.

That is not how to manage the cap. It has been seen to fail so often.

I would expect, the 10+ Rodgers is due this year, to be combined with 10-15 million of our available space under the cap, giving him a guaranteed salary of 20-25 million without having to push any of that money out. I would expect them to do something similar year 2, the 11million he is expected to get now, and add a 10 million dollar Roster bonus, and guarantee both. Which would have him in 45 guaranteed, without, having any of it sitting on the future cap. If they need more guaranteed money, they then could also us a SB. They could give him 60 million guaranteed, and only 3-4 million yearly cap hit.

I wouldnt' expect a big bump in cap 2015 either. The bump gets eaten up with the money going to the players medical.
Pack93z
11 years ago
We shall see how they structure it.. but as it stands right now.. we have ~ 18 million of cap space for this season.. if we couple the current 9.75 Million with another 15.. that leaves us just under the rookie pool. Hard to redo the contracts of Raji and Matthews that will expire before Rodgers that way.

I think they are going to commit a ton of real money in the signing bonus and they will take that bonus and structure it as effectively as possible for the first 4 to 5 years of the deal... I think this is why it is taking a good chunk of time.. working with Rodgers (via agent) and the Packers trying to structure it for the best of the team.

I have faith that this deal will be structure as well as a deal of this size can be for the Packers.. I have that much faith in Rodgers words and intelligence so that the team around him can be as successful as can be. Almost to the point that if the NFLPA would allow it... it might take an undermarket deal. A player with his earning potential off the field can supplement his on field income greatly.. especially if he can nail down another Championship or two.

I have read some of your other comments about this somewhat crippling the team.. I am (maybe foolishly) holding out hope that there is a middle ground that shows him proper respect in terms of reported size of deal and is more than fair in terms of actually earning potential. His past words and track record of upholding his word as a basis for it.

We shall see.. I just think this contract, which has been developing probably for 12 to 24 months to be very creative to accomplish the above.

Yes this deal could become the albatross around the Packers neck.. I wager that the parties involved will avoid that as much as possible with a deal this insanely large.
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

I think they are going to commit a ton of real money in the signing bonus and they will take that bonus and structure it as effectively as possible for the first 4 to 5 years of the deal...

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

If they dump the money in a Signing bonus, there is no option on how to structure it, which is why I see them using current cap space and roster bonuses instead. If they put 40 million in a signing bonus over 6 years, that is 6.6million hit per year each of the years. And that can't be restructured later on.

That is how they worked his last contract.
steveishere
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What I saw was a 4 year extension averaging 25m/year. When added to the 2 years left on the current deal that comes out around 20-21/ year
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.