MintBaconDrivel
11 years ago

A week ago, all the important players in the negotiations to get Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers a new contract were in the same location.

PackersNews  wrote:

warhawk
11 years ago
I see a deal coming that will be friendly for the Packers to progress as a team (at least as much as possible) considering it will be for the most money paid any player.

That's just how I see Rodgers as a person.

Thank God we're not talking about a J. Finley here.
"The train is leaving the station."
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago

I see a deal coming that will be friendly for the Packers to progress as a team (at least as much as possible) considering it will be for the most money paid any player.

That's just how I see Rodgers as a person.

Thank God we're not talking about a J. Finley here.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

That is really the concern. If he becomes the highest paid player, no matter how "friendly" it is, the team is going to lose flexibility in having talent around him.

I would love for Rodgers to say. I don't need, nor do I want to be the highest paid player. I'll take 10/yr. That is more than I can spend anyway. With the other 10-15million I am saving the team, I expect good players to be retained, and key FA to be brought in where needed.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
From KFFL

Packers | Aaron Rodgers update
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:11:44 -0700

Updating a previous item, there is league-wide speculation the Green Bay Packers and QB Aaron Rodgers are close to a contract extension that would see Rodgers earn an average of $25 million per year, making him the highest-paid player in NFL history. People familiar with the contract talks believe a deal will be completed this offseason, and could happen sooner rather than later.

http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl/green-bay-packers#ixzz2OsOu1WG1 

The key words here are EXTENSION and AVERAGE.

Extending AR's contract gives The Packers the option of including the money left on his current contract in his signing bonus and extending that money + any guaranteed money over the whole length of the contract.

The deal may be for an average of 25mil a year on paper, but the Guaranteed money is what is important.

I'm betting AR's cap hit will not exceed 10-12 mil for the 1st 4 years, then watch his yearly salary escalate.
That gives The Packers 4 years to work with other players, get them signed, then a restructure probably in the works for Aaron Rodgers after the 4th year.

Just a guess, but it is the way of The NFL contract negotiaions these days.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
dhazer
11 years ago
hahahahaha it's funny that some of you think he would take a discount to help the team around him. Haven't you guys caught on yet, it's all about Aaron and it has been like that the whole time. I have a chip on my shoulder because of the draft. I am great because I stayed quiet during the Favre breakup. Its all about the stats watch him play, he passes up the nice little first down pass to try a Favre special. So don't give me the crap he is all about the team.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago
dhazer, you have awesome persistence.

While I've often thought he probably would like to give a super team friendly discount, I'm not sure that would go over too well with the NFLPA. I think he simply gets his market value, which will be a lot.
DoddPower
11 years ago

dhazer, you have awesome persistence.

While I've often thought he probably would like to give a super team friendly discount, I'm not sure that would go over too well with the NFLPA. I think he simply gets his market value, which will be a lot.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Exactly. Rodgers should pursue and get every penny that the "market" says he deserves. There's no reason someone like Joe Flacco should be making more money than him. Usually when players are taking about "discounts" they're only taking about 1-2 million a year anyway.

I hope and expect Rodgers gets everything he's worth. The Packers are looking out for themselves and Rodgers need to do the same for himself. It's a business and a job first and foremost for the players. Rodgers also has to think about 2-4 years down the line when there will likely be a few other quarterbacks with equal or potentially higher annual salaries, as well, especially as the cap raises.

Bottom line for me: Rodgers obtaining every penny he is worth won't make me think negatively about him at all. Anything less he takes will just be a bonus to his employer and, to some extent, the fans, but I'm not expecting it. While the comparison isn't exactly the same, how many here would take substantially less money from your current employer that other companies were more than willing to pay for your same services, and that some lesser/equal talents were getting paid elsewhere? Said job/career could also be over forever at any minute as well; not one's typical 'desk job.' I might not squeeze every possible penny out of the deal, but I would expect to come close, for sure.

texaspackerbacker
11 years ago
I would suggest that more than just guaranteed money is important when you are talking about a superstar QB. The obvious case of that is Brett Favre who got such a huge percentage of the face value money in his big contract. Just the same, the Packers should be able to structure a deal to give Rodgers what he richly deserves - to be paid significantly more than anybody else in the NFL, and still keep it cap-friendly enough to not do harm to the team.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
MintBaconDrivel
11 years ago

With all the important parties involved in the negotiations to extend Aaron Rodgers' contract in the same place last week, progress was bound to be made.

PackersNews  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel 

Yeah, you would think so ...... I hope so ...... but I wouldn't bet money on it. I really hope they don't try some misguided strategy of low-balling Rodgers and alienating him, then either scrambling at the last minute or the unthinkable - losing him. The guy is flat out the best player in football, and he deserves to be paid like the best player. I've heard speculation about his personality great guy, team oriented, excellent leader OR stat whore, overly prideful, etc. None of us really know that, however, we can probably say that any star pro football player is going to have a degree of ego; We can also say based on the team's performance and the lack of negativity from teammates that he is a good leader; And of course, we know he throws the ball like nobody else and runs enough to more than keep defenses honest.

It is easily possible to structure a contract to make him radically the highest paid player in the NFL without harming the cap situation. Example: how does $231 million over 10 years sound? record-setting enough? Do you think he would be satisfied with a $50 million signing bonus? Then salary of $3 million the first year followed by $8, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 25, 30, and 35 million years 2 - 10. The cap hit would be just $8 million the first year, followed by 13, 17, 19, etc. Yeah, it gets ridiculous in the end, but by then you restructure or cut him if he drops off too much - which I very much doubt. Make either the first 4 years or the first 5 guaranteed - $84 or $100 million including the bonus.

Something like that should leave plenty to re-sign Matthews and Raji (who I wish they would NOT give a big contract too, but that's for another thread), and still keep at least as good a supporting cast as the Packers have had in the Thompson era.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.