Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
After all the posturing about the financial impact upon businesses and the potential to financial devastate them to the point of reducing services or staffing.. it appears that the impact is being scaled back substantially.

Now the doesn't mean the package is actually going to improve the quality of health care for the workers of this nation.. or make it more affordable or improve their coverage.. but it certainly will not impact the businesses like the fear mongering projected. Basically, the costs will be passed through to the workers that will either see a decline in actual coverage or a overall rise in individual costs. And many will, as notated, just accept the minimal fine and roll without.

But the angst that it is going to fundamentally hurt the business sector greatly.. that was and always will be overstated. Simply provide coverage that is not viable for most and pass the buck. Just now.. the government is more directly backing the gaps.

Restaurant Chains Cut Estimates for Health-Law Costs 

Restaurant owners have been fierce critics of the health-care overhaul law, fearing that its mandate for employers to offer insurance more broadly will drive up costs and deter hiring.

Now, some operators say the law may not be that costly after all. They say many employees won't qualify for coverage, and many of those who do qualify will decline company-offered insurance.

Wendy's Co. (WEN) initially estimated the health-care law would increase the cost of operating each of its 5,800 U.S. restaurants by $25,000 a year. But Chief Financial Officer Steve Hare told an investment conference on March 14 that executives have cut the estimate by 80%, to $5,000 a year, primarily because they expect many employees to decline the insurance offering.

"It is still going to be an additional cost that both the company and our franchisees will have to absorb, but we think it is going to be manageable," Mr. Hare said. A Wendy's spokesman said the company continues to refine its cost estimates and it would be "premature" to discuss them further.

Executives of other restaurant chains, including Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. (CMG), Jack in the Box Inc. (JACK) and Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen, have offered similar cost estimates in recent months.

They say many employees will decline company-offered insurance, either because they can get insurance through Medicaid or a family member, or because they prefer to pay the penalty for not having health insurance. The penalty next year will be as low as $95 next year, much less than most employees will be asked to pay through company-sponsored insurance plans.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
4PackGirl
11 years ago
wow - that's quite a difference.

estimates are just that - estimates.

everybody running around with the 'sky is falling' mentality needs to take a deep breath!
dhazer
11 years ago

everybody running around with the 'sky is falling' mentality needs to take a deep breath!

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

Did you miss this line

executives have cut the estimate by 80%, to $5,000 a year, primarily because they expect many employees to decline the insurance offering.

they will save money because employees won't take insurance.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

After all the posturing about the financial impact upon businesses and the potential to financial devastate them to the point of reducing services or staffing.. it appears that the impact is being scaled back substantially.

Now the doesn't mean the package is actually going to improve the quality of health care for the workers of this nation.. or make it more affordable or improve their coverage.. but it certainly will not impact the businesses like the fear mongering projected. Basically, the costs will be passed through to the workers that will either see a decline in actual coverage or a overall rise in individual costs. And many will, as notated, just accept the minimal fine and roll without.

But the angst that it is going to fundamentally hurt the business sector greatly.. that was and always will be overstated. Simply provide coverage that is not viable for most and pass the buck. Just now.. the government is more directly backing the gaps.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Er, no.

Big business won't be hurt as much as it claimed. Big business is rarely hurt much by big government. Big business can afford to spread the cost over millions of customers at a time. (An extra penny on a Wendy's burger is trivial to people who eat there.)

The business that will hurt will be small business. And remember, the great majority of businesses (99%+) are companies with less than 100 or so employees. Companies that don't have the luxury of spreading the costs out that way. Companies that are far closer to their individual margins than many think. Far closer.

There''ll always be jobs at the Wendy's of the world.

Heck, there's a good bet there will be more of them than ever.

Whether that is a good thing for the economy or not....well, it'll give us continued opportunities to complain about the unfairness of the gap between rich and poor, I suppose.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

Er, no.

Big business won't be hurt as much as it claimed. Big business is rarely hurt much by big government. Big business can afford to spread the cost over millions of customers at a time. (An extra penny on a Wendy's burger is trivial to people who eat there.)

The business that will hurt will be small business. And remember, the great majority of businesses (99%+) are companies with less than 100 or so employees. Companies that don't have the luxury of spreading the costs out that way. Companies that are far closer to their individual margins than many think. Far closer.

There''ll always be jobs at the Wendy's of the world.

Heck, there's a good bet there will be more of them than ever.

Whether that is a good thing for the economy or not....well, it'll give us continued opportunities to complain about the unfairness of the gap between rich and poor, I suppose.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I disagree... small businesses will employ the same tactics.. yes there will be a cost of actually providing the insurance (most already offer insurance to remain competitive in attracting employees).. and they will simply offer the minimum they can at a cost that most employees will reject and move on. Sure there will be an added cost of doing business... but hardly crippling.

Your making an assumption that many are not offering insurance already..

A really good friend of mine owns the small town grocery store with a staff of less than 12.. about 5 of those full time. They have been offering insurance for years, mostly because he covers himself (family) through the policy and offers it to his full time employees to have a sense of continuity in staffing. Plus it is the moral thing to do.. we have discussed this impact along with other trials over the last couple of years in the economy and increase in competition in places like Walmart coming into the market (albeit 15 miles away).

The costs were already there in terms of carrying insurance.. there was an increase in his carrying cost, but absorbed that in the next employee review cycle in terms of overall benefit to the employees.

Yes, the businesses have to become more wise and diligent in doing business in hiring employees.. 4 of his 5 take the insurance he offers.. the increase of cost was passed through. In the end.. the employee base is seeing the hit.. but they also have securing in employment as well.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
We shall see. I hope you are correct and I am wrong.

Unfortunately, I fear the law of unintended consequences will frustrate your optimism.

But, as I said, I hope that optimism prevails.

We shall see.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

We shall see. I hope you are correct and I am wrong.

Unfortunately, I fear the law of unintended consequences will frustrate your optimism.

But, as I said, I hope that optimism prevails.

We shall see.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Me.. as I continue dig into this.. the true costs will ultimately be felt by most employees and back to state and federal governments.. thus it will trickle down to the taxpayers ultimately.. some in a double dip fashion. That is my fear.. couple that with inefficiencies and fraud potential at the government level.

There will be impacts at the small business level.. but not to the degree many have projected. Much like the article notes.
DakotaT
11 years ago
I live in a place where we have been unaffected by the recession in a way, shape, or form. So I have real problem with wealthy small business owners who don't offer a health care plan with an employee's compensation package, but said employers bitch about not being able to retain quality workers. Because of the oil boom, contractors have had to double wages they use to pay just to entice their workers to stay. The businesses around town aren't crying about providing health care so much as a lack of work force.

Romneycare will have a lot more good than bad when more and more people get the health screenings they use to avoid. Small businessmen will just have to get a little more creative with their budgets. Hell, maybe their income tax bill will go do if their bottom lines are a little more lean. A businessman with real sound ethics wants to provide health care to his employees; afterall, the employees make him what he is not the other way around.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

''

How about we just watch you and your signature take deep breaths instead? That sounds like a lot more fun.

(grin)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

I live in a place where we have been unaffected by the recession in a way, shape, or form. So I have real problem with wealthy small business owners who don't offer a health care plan with an employee's compensation package, but said employers bitch about not being able to retain quality workers. Because of the oil boom, contractors have had to double wages they use to pay just to entice their workers to stay. The businesses around town aren't crying about providing health care so much as a lack of work force.

Romneycare will have a lot more good than bad when more and more people get the health screenings they use to avoid. Small businessmen will just have to get a little more creative with their budgets. Hell, maybe their income tax bill will go do if their bottom lines are a little more lean. A businessman with real sound ethics wants to provide health care to his employees; afterall, the employees make him what he is not the other way around.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(cuing up Ronnie the Ray-gun)

"Gee, uh, there you go again."

Sometimes I wonder if your parents read Brave New World and had a tape recorder under your bed that played Sam Donaldson every night when you were sleeping.

I've already had too many long posts today, so I won't add another to the pile.

Just take my disagreement as given this time. :)