Pack93z
10 years ago
This contract really doesn't draw any type of stress for me.. it will get done and I believe that Rodgers sees the big picture ensuring the deal with put him in the proper placement in terms of contracts. However I believe it will be structured in a fashion that it will have a headline popping average, but much of that bulk to inflate the average will be pushed past a 4 or 5 year window where it will be reworked then to reset the cap numbers to keep the Packers salary cap viable enough to remain in the hunt.

It is how these deals work.. the biggest risk to the Packers will be Rodgers suffering a career ending or altering deal within the 4 or 5 year window. And for Rodgers.. he nor his family will have to worry about not obtaining enough in which he should be set for life.

"It's not something I think about. We were so blessed to be able to have that contract done in 2008. We knew at the time that was more money than I ever could have imagined signing for, and it was a no-brainer for me. But we knew if I performed the way I felt I was capable of performing, that by league standards that by the time I got into my third or fourth or fifth season, that I'd be underpaid by league standards.

"But I don't look at it that way. I look at it as I'm fortunate to make the kind of money I make and be in the situation I'm in and be with the Packers' organization. I want to retire as a Packer. They know that, the fans know that, my teammates know that, and this is where I want to be. I'm not worried about [a new contract.] We're still a few years away from me completing this deal, and whenever it comes time to make a new deal, I'm looking forward to maybe signing my last deal, playing it out, and retiring."

Aaron Rodgers  wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"

From KFFL

Packers | Aaron Rodgers update
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:11:44 -0700

Updating a previous item, there is league-wide speculation the Green Bay Packers and QB Aaron Rodgers are close to a contract extension that would see Rodgers earn an average of $25 million per year, making him the highest-paid player in NFL history. People familiar with the contract talks believe a deal will be completed this offseason, and could happen sooner rather than later.

http://www.kffl.com/team/17/nfl/green-bay-packers#ixzz2OsOu1WG1 

The key words here are EXTENSION and AVERAGE.

Extending AR's contract gives The Packers the option of including the money left on his current contract in his signing bonus and extending that money + any guaranteed money over the whole length of the contract.

The deal may be for an average of 25mil a year on paper, but the Guaranteed money is what is important.

I'm betting AR's cap hit will not exceed 10-12 mil for the 1st 4 years, then watch his yearly salary escalate.
That gives The Packers 4 years to work with other players, get them signed, then a restructure probably in the works for Aaron Rodgers after the 4th year.

Just a guess, but it is the way of The NFL contract negotiaions these days.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That is exactly how teams get into player contract and salary cap trouble, and Ted has shown the ability to NOT do that as much as possible.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I've heard that it's going to be a 6 year deal averaging $25 million per. I wouldn't even sign Barry Sanders for that money.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago

That is exactly how teams get into player contract and salary cap trouble, and Ted has shown the ability to NOT do that as much as possible.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Depends on how the Signing Bonus and Roster Bonuses are handled.. look at Woodson's deal.. it had a ton of bonus money in it.. but past the first year or two.. most was roster bonuses which didn't hurt the Packers as they could exit out of it without much hit.

There is no other way to slice this though.. the QB position is becoming the new noose in which teams, players and the collective NFL will hang themselves from in terms of contract and cap balances.

And they all are assisting in getting themselves into it.. in our situation, I just hope Rodgers keeps his "big picture" mindset in a team first approach... well as much as this kind of money will allow.

I remember Brett setting the market for contract size... and the Packers were still allowed to remain competitive year in and out. I hope and remain confident in the Rodgers deal will do the same.

And a sizable bump to the cap in say 2015 may help as well. [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
10 years ago

I've heard that it's going to be a 6 year deal averaging $25 million per. I wouldn't even sign Barry Sanders for that money.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Until you're an owner like Gunny and I; your opinion on these matter really doensn't mean much! [grin1]
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago

Until you're an owner like Gunny and I; your opinion on these matter really doensn't mean much! [grin1]

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I have been an owner for a longer tenure.. so 😝
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

Depends on how the Signing Bonus and Roster Bonuses are handled.. look at Woodson's deal.. it had a ton of bonus money in it.. but past the first year or two.. most was roster bonuses which didn't hurt the Packers as the could exit out of it without much hit.

There is no other way to slice this though.. the QB position is becoming the new noose in which teams, players and the collective NFL will hang themselves from in terms of contract and cap balances.

And they all are assisting in getting themselves into it.. in our situation, I just hope Rodgers keeps his "big picture" mindset in a team first approach... well as much as this kind of money will allow.

I remember Brett setting the market for contract size... and the Packers were still allowed to remain competitive year in and out. I hope and remain confident in the Rodgers deal will do the same.

And a sizable bump to the cap in say 2015 may help as well. [grin1]

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I was refering to this.

I'm betting AR's cap hit will not exceed 10-12 mil for the 1st 4 years, then watch his yearly salary escalate.

That is not how to manage the cap. It has been seen to fail so often.

I would expect, the 10+ Rodgers is due this year, to be combined with 10-15 million of our available space under the cap, giving him a guaranteed salary of 20-25 million without having to push any of that money out. I would expect them to do something similar year 2, the 11million he is expected to get now, and add a 10 million dollar Roster bonus, and guarantee both. Which would have him in 45 guaranteed, without, having any of it sitting on the future cap. If they need more guaranteed money, they then could also us a SB. They could give him 60 million guaranteed, and only 3-4 million yearly cap hit.

I wouldnt' expect a big bump in cap 2015 either. The bump gets eaten up with the money going to the players medical.
Pack93z
10 years ago
We shall see how they structure it.. but as it stands right now.. we have ~ 18 million of cap space for this season.. if we couple the current 9.75 Million with another 15.. that leaves us just under the rookie pool. Hard to redo the contracts of Raji and Matthews that will expire before Rodgers that way.

I think they are going to commit a ton of real money in the signing bonus and they will take that bonus and structure it as effectively as possible for the first 4 to 5 years of the deal... I think this is why it is taking a good chunk of time.. working with Rodgers (via agent) and the Packers trying to structure it for the best of the team.

I have faith that this deal will be structure as well as a deal of this size can be for the Packers.. I have that much faith in Rodgers words and intelligence so that the team around him can be as successful as can be. Almost to the point that if the NFLPA would allow it... it might take an undermarket deal. A player with his earning potential off the field can supplement his on field income greatly.. especially if he can nail down another Championship or two.

I have read some of your other comments about this somewhat crippling the team.. I am (maybe foolishly) holding out hope that there is a middle ground that shows him proper respect in terms of reported size of deal and is more than fair in terms of actually earning potential. His past words and track record of upholding his word as a basis for it.

We shall see.. I just think this contract, which has been developing probably for 12 to 24 months to be very creative to accomplish the above.

Yes this deal could become the albatross around the Packers neck.. I wager that the parties involved will avoid that as much as possible with a deal this insanely large.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago

I think they are going to commit a ton of real money in the signing bonus and they will take that bonus and structure it as effectively as possible for the first 4 to 5 years of the deal...

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

If they dump the money in a Signing bonus, there is no option on how to structure it, which is why I see them using current cap space and roster bonuses instead. If they put 40 million in a signing bonus over 6 years, that is 6.6million hit per year each of the years. And that can't be restructured later on.

That is how they worked his last contract.
steveishere
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What I saw was a 4 year extension averaging 25m/year. When added to the 2 years left on the current deal that comes out around 20-21/ year
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.