Gaycandybacon
11 years ago
Honestly the Pats.. They aren't the GREATEST team on paper. Yet, they're always in contention every stinkin' year. It has to do with coaching, training, and getting good players on your team. And you know what I mean by good players. Having those great character guys on your team. Why do you think the good teams are always the ones that stay quiet? Patriots, Giants, Packers, Steelers all to name a few. The lions, cowboys, and jets to name a few fail every year for this feat.
play2win
10 years ago

Honestly the Pats.. They aren't the GREATEST team on paper. Yet, they're always in contention every stinkin' year. It has to do with coaching, training, and getting good players on your team. And you know what I mean by good players. Having those great character guys on your team. Why do you think the good teams are always the ones that stay quiet? Patriots, Giants, Packers, Steelers all to name a few. The lions, cowboys, and jets to name a few fail every year for this feat.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

I agree with you, but I think this is missing the point.

There are those teams that often make their splashes in winning the March SBs. Teams that continually load up in free agency, and time and time again make the same mistakes.

What I am talking about is being so rigid in the opposite direction that you miss out on possibly landing a role player that unexpectedly takes your team over the top. There is a patience to that game as well, as I believe there are few teams that have notched that special player onto their rosters and gone on to immediately win the SB.

We've done it twice and won SBs. 1996 signing of Eugene Robinson, an 11 yr vet with the Seahawks, and the 2010 signing of Howard Green, and 8 yr vet from the Jets.

Both players filled a need area on the roster, and both made significant contributions towards winning the Super Bowl.
DoddPower
10 years ago

I agree with you, but I think this is missing the point.

There are those teams that often make their splashes in winning the March SBs. Teams that continually load up in free agency, and time and time again make the same mistakes.

What I am talking about is being so rigid in the opposite direction that you miss out on possibly landing a role player that unexpectedly takes your team over the top. There is a patience to that game as well, as I believe there are few teams that have notched that special player onto their rosters and gone on to immediately win the SB.

We've done it twice and won SBs. 1996 signing of Eugene Robinson, an 11 yr vet with the Seahawks, and the 2010 signing of Howard Green, and 8 yr vet from the Jets.

Both players filled a need area on the roster, and both made significant contributions towards winning the Super Bowl.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

This statement seems to imply that Ted Thompson is too rigid to make additions, but I don't think that's the case, at all. He is always looking at, speaking to, and investigating free agents, it's just the stars don't always align, for whatever reason. I'm sure he can make the stars align more often, but he's likely following an agreed upon budget and if negotiations get outside of that budget, the Packers are out of the game.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I go all the way back to the Lombardi era and before, and I remember when a lot of people were saying we COULDN'T afford Grabowski and Anderson. Vince managed to snag them - both. Never mind the fact that neither turned out to be the superstar we hoped. Thompson has his way of doing things. I certainly don't agree with it all the time, but we can't really argue with the results in terms of a winning record. The point is, if the prize is great enough, he can and will get it for the Packers.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
dfosterf
10 years ago
You fill your team with the best player available.

Blanket philosophies are foolish, imo. You do not weigh your success in free agency based on the whole league, for example.

I think we had a far better shot at a Super Bowl if Ted filled a few holes for us that he did not do. He strikes me as somewhat of a moron when he speaks. I know he's educated, etc. I do not see the brilliance... just sayin'... If he is so good at drafting, how could he not be better at picking some players that have played in the league?

We are satisfied as a fan base, we are in a small market, he gets good press, we shall fucking schlep along wading high just above- mediocrity, but below greatness, unless luck intervenes.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Blanket philosophies are foolish, imo. You do not weigh your success in free agency based on the whole league, for example.

I think we had a far better shot at a Super Bowl if Ted filled a few holes for us that he did not do. He strikes me as somewhat of a moron when he speaks. I know he's educated, etc. I do not see the brilliance... just sayin'... If he is so good at drafting, how could he not be better at picking some players that have played in the league?

We are satisfied as a fan base, we are in a small market, he gets good press, we shall fucking schlep along wading high just above- mediocrity, but below greatness, unless luck intervenes.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

hahaha I suggested that "luck intervened" in PackerFanForum in Thompson getting Aaron Rodgers - saying Thompson was good but not a great GM. The TT-ophiles jumped all over me. I agree with you in principal about filling those few holes, etc., but on a case by case basis, I can't really think of any that I wish Thompson had paid what it would have taken to get the player. And yeah, he sure ain't charismatic or even quietly intelligent-sounding...... but we sure do have that great winning record hahaha.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
dfosterf
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Of course it hurts us, we are just loyal. Loyal is different from correct.

dfosterf
10 years ago

hahaha I suggested that "luck intervened" in PackerFanForum in Thompson getting Aaron Rodgers - saying Thompson was good but not a great GM. The TT-ophiles jumped all over me. I agree with you in principal about filling those few holes, etc., but on a case by case basis, I can't really think of any that I wish Thompson had paid what it would have taken to get the player. And yeah, he sure ain't charismatic or even quietly intelligent-sounding...... but we sure do have that great winning record hahaha.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

...Just so you know, I've defended him here at least on par with anyone on this forum, lol

play2win
10 years ago
Winning records mean about as much to me as Top Passers.

I want Championships from this group. Ted has done a great job getting us to this point where we remain competitive, but I believe more could be done to add veteran help at a position of need. He's got many of the hard to get pieces in place. Why not go for it a little bit more?

DL was a void spot after losing Jenkins, with no significant improvements added in going on 3 seasons. Had we retained Jenkins, or added a true replacement, I think we would have run that 2011 table, and possibly been more competitive in 2012.

Leaving holes as important as that on your roster with this collection of talent seems a waste, and an unnecessary risk.
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago
But you make it sound like Ted Thompson has ignored the position. In the last 3 drafts, he has drafted 5 DL, tied for most of any position with OL. Ted Thompson can't totally control how they develop. He can't control Mike Neal's injuries. He isn't at fault for Worthy's knee blowing out. Did you know in Feb 2011, that Mike Neal wasn't going to develop into an adequate replacement for Jenkins? I didn't. I bet the private depth chart at Lambeau Field was counting on it.

He has signed FA. They just didn't work.

You can criticize the results, but not the effort. Ted Thompson has attempted to address the issue the best he thinks he can. We have the luxury of criticizing the results, but we are not the ones that have to make decisions.

Going after high priced FAs is like the boy that asked Kate Upton to prom. It gets a lot of press. Somebody is famous for a bit. But at the end of the night, he is disappointed and unfulfilled.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.