QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Packers haven't been back to the Super Bowl since Daryn Colledge was mistakenly not re-signed. Ted Thompson, my glare is aimed in your direction!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Made me laugh!!!!! 😆
Pack93z
10 years ago

Packers haven't been back to the Super Bowl since Daryn Colledge was mistakenly not re-signed. Ted Thompson, my glare is aimed in your direction!

You really must miss seeing Mrs. Colledge at the YMCA.. UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Socrates, didn't San Francisco get most of their line with top 15 draft picks - if they did this effortlessly, then must have been dog shit for a long time. Your comparison is horrible but I agree with what you said. We've taken Bulaga and Sherrod with first rounders recently - it's unfair to say 🇹🇹 isn't trying. I would like to see an interior O-lineman taken with a top pick preferable at center and who is very intelligent.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Trying isn't enough.

If you're going to have a personnel strategy that emphasizes draft to the extent that Ted's does you have to remember Mr. Miyagi:

"Try? There is no "try". Do. Or do not."

And Ted hasn't done the do.

Daryn Colledge was a 2nd round pick, too. But outside of of our fearless PH leader, whose affair with Mrs. Colledge must be on again, does anyone really think this was a winning pick?

Ted has drafted a lot of OL over his GB years. He's had one, count 'em, one, unquestionable success (Sitton). Bulaga and Sherrod have shown they have the potential....but so, ahem, did Colledge, Spitz, and Moll.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Ted has drafted a lot of OL over his GB years. He's had one, count 'em, one, unquestionable success (Sitton). Bulaga and Sherrod have shown they have the potential....but so, ahem, did Colledge, Spitz, and Moll.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Ted Thompson has completed "Do".
OL Coach has completed "Do Not".

If you give someone 12 guns and they miss the target 20 yards away, you going to continue giving more guns or get someone who knows how to aim them better?

UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Ted Thompson has completed "Do".
OL Coach has completed "Do Not".

If you give someone 12 guns and they miss the target 20 yards away, you going to continue giving more guns or get someone who knows how to aim them better?

Isn't the real answer bigger magazines?
JustJeff
10 years ago

Show me the hole that the incompetent backs should have ran through the last 4 years. I submit that there has been no hole. Mike McCarthy is pulling a Dick Cheney. He will re-invent the friggin' hole he says he has, and he don't even have that.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

This is not my work. It is from a member in my home forum. It is the perfect example of how NOT to run a stretch play. Enjoy.

UserPostedImage
Trips left against Nickel defense. DJ Williams motions from the left and looks like he's going to go across. Goes to H when no one motions with him.
UserPostedImage
See him at H and Crabtree lined up at WR.
UserPostedImage
Land and Sitton go for the DTs while Crabtree blocks down on the man on him. Bulaga and Williams pull right. Saturday and Newhouse go to backer. 4 players in the box no accounted for yet. Really only 3 because that backside DE isn't going to do anything.
UserPostedImage
The pitch is off and everyone is looking for a block or hit their mark already. Jones comes into the screen as the last player on the right. Safety looks like he's in position to make the play.
UserPostedImage
Bulaga takes out an unblocked defender (#4), Crabtree is still on his block, looks like Williams will go after defender #3 and Green will have the safety in open field.
UserPostedImage
And here we go.
UserPostedImage
Williams keeps pushing and there is a possible cutback lane for Green.
UserPostedImage
Williams has his guy and free Saturday can try to make a play on the S.
UserPostedImage
He gets him, Williams on block, and Crabtree on block still but defender #2 (non-playside backer) is free and is in position to make play.
UserPostedImage
And he gets him.

"JustisM" wrote:

UserPostedImage 
Pack93z
10 years ago
JustJeff... to me, that is more the edge blockers fault for not sealing than it is the backs fault on that example. Williams allowed the defender the get outside his shoulder and hold edge contain. This forces the back to stay flat and wait for something as a cutback lane to form.. poorly executed blocking. My opinion from those angles.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
JustJeff
10 years ago
UserPostedImage
Williams keeps pushing and there is a possible cutback lane for Green.

This is a perfect example of how Brandon Jackson ran the stretch and why he never developed into a bell cow back he could have been.

Guys who got by with speed in college sometimes find it hard to learn to be patient. When we run an outside stretch, Green has to be more patient, has to read his blocks better and - most importantly - has to have the vision to see the cutback lanes. That is the bread-and-butter of the zbs. You take your short gains, but when a cutback presents itself, plant the foot and go.

On this play, Williams is engaged and has inside position, driving the LB toward the sideline. Crabtree has the inside sealed. Green's read at this point is to cut it back inside. If Green took it inside if Williams he has open field vs a safety who is eight yards high and inside. This was a HUGE play that didn't happen.
UserPostedImage 
Pack93z
10 years ago
Pop ahead to frames in these stills.. that cutback lane was filled.. this is not a great example of a missed opportunity by a back.. if anything it illustrates:

*A line that gets pushed back at the point of attack
* Poor edge blocking by the Packers
* And yes, a back that was too patient and didn't cut it up and take the minimal gain that might have been there.

UserPostedImage

JustJeff
10 years ago

Pop ahead to frames in these stills.. that cutback lane was filled.. this is not a great example of a missed opportunity by a back.. if anything it illustrates:

*A line that gets pushed back at the point of attack
* Poor edge blocking by the Packers
* And yes, a back that was too patient and didn't cut it up and take the minimal gain that might have been there.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

That still shows that Green has discovered he isn't getting to the edge. At that point, he's sitting high with his weight back, of course the hole is filled. Jeff freakin' Saturday is outside by then 😆

UserPostedImage
Williams has not yet engaged. The linebacker is two yards upfield. Williams correctly moves upfield. If he aims for an outside seal, he surrenders his inside shoulder. By the time he gets on the linebacker, he takes him the only angle he can. If you want to fault Williams for being outrun, I can agree. However, he executed a block that gave Green a seam, which Green didn't have the patience to see, much less take.

What is most telling in the stills is Green's gate. He's full throttle for the edge from the start. Great backs have a habit of running 3/4 speed while using their eyes and explode into the hole as it opens. Vision is everything.

UserPostedImage 
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.