Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Aaron Rodgers has 19 more career touchdown passes than Bart Starr.

Rodgers' single-season career low in touchdown passes, in five starting years: 28.

Starr's single-season career high in touchdown passes, in 14 part- to full-time starting years: 16.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
no.

they are different eras with different rules can't compare the two.

Passing game today vs running game then.
16 game season vs 12 and 14 game seasons

1 Championship vs 5 championships incl 2 SB.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Regarding those Championshps ... Bart Starr had how many Hall of Famers on his team? How many does Aaron Rodgers have? Yep, Rodgers doing more with less. Also, Starr's coach was so legendary that the named the Super Bowl trophy after him.

Here's a stat that has no relevance with games played in a season ...
Starr 80.5 qb rating
Rodgers 104.9 qb rating

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
The stat doesn't matter.
Starr didn't need to throw so he didn't train himself and his teammates to excel in that area. Many of the incompetitions that pulled his numbers down would be flagged as a penalty today causing the qb rating no harm.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Yeah, everything was different. You just can't say somebody is greater without defining what standards you are talking about, and even then, crossing 50 years is impossible. Let's throw that other Packer QB in here also, at the risk of the haters coming out. The situational difference between Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Barry Bonds is tiny compared to Starr, Favre, and Rodgers.

I consider Favre to be the greatest QB, probably the greatest player of all time in the NFL. I consider Rodgers to be far and away the best QB right now. Greatness all time, however, requires duration. Rodgers could be that also, but it will take another 10+ healthy and outstanding years - well, maybe less the way he is performing and the way the game is played now.

Starr was my childhood, and he was a superb leader and quality person. However, he wasn't the greatest of his time - Unitas was the Aaron Rodgers of his generation; He wasn't the greatest ever factoring in duration; Probably he wasn't even the greatest "winner" of all time. Arguably, he wasn't even the greatest Packer at the time he played. But even with all that he wasn't, I hate to pick against him.

Why not just be happy that we as Packer fans have been blessed with the absolute best quarterbacking over the last 50+ years? I don't think anybody can argue with that.

Yeah, if I'm forced, Rodgers > Starr.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago
It's interesting. While the game has changed in these vastly different eras, the game is essentially the same game. I do think there is an ego to today's game that is a bit different. That era long ago prided itself on overpowering the opponent with smart innovations in the running game and passing game alike, and tough play in execution. The balance seems to have shifted to pass heavy in the Air Coryell era a decade or more after Lombardi's successful run. Today's game is filled with the "genius" of the aerial assault and innovation, to the point where the balance is disrupted. I would venture to say that more of the balanced run/pass teams win more SBs today than the opposite.

I honestly feel that the game today is easier than many OCs make it out to be. Success can be had in today's game by better execution of the run, thereby opening up the passing options in a real balanced offense.

There is a really interesting point to be made here, comparing the Don Coryell led Chargers of 1978 to the Mike McCarthy led Packers of 2010. While Coryell could be heralded rightly as the hallmark of passing innovation, he never forgot the importance of running the football. NOBODY thinks about how Don Coryell ran the ball, and what that did for his passing game.

1978 SD: 590 ATT for 2029 yds
2010 GB: 421 ATT for 1606 yds

The Chargers led the league in passing for 6 consecutive years, from 1978-1983. Everyone knows this as the "Air Coryell" era, and many OCs/HCs in today's game point to Coryell as their inspiration in their passing acumen. No one really looks at how he ran the ball.

1978 SD: 590 ATT for 2029 yds
1979 SD: 481 ATT for 1668 yds
1980 SD: 509 ATT for 1879 yds
1981 SD: 481 ATT for 2005 yds
1982 SD: 267 ATT for 1121 yds (9 games strike shortened season, 30 ATT per game)
1983 SD: 423 ATT for 1536 yds

Let's look at the Packers stats through the last 6 years under Mike McCarthy:

2007 GB: 338 ATT for 1597 yds
2008 GB: 437 ATT for 1805 yds
2009 GB: 438 ATT for 1885 yds
2010 GB: 421 ATT for 1606 yds
2011 GB: 395 ATT for 1598 yds
2012 GB: 433 ATT for 1702 yds

Only once in that 6 year span did Coryell rush fewer times (which was still 26 ATT per game) than McCarthy's peak of 438 ATT.

Even in 1996 under Mike Holmgren, with Favre as our QB, we went 465 ATT for 1838 yds. Won the SB that year.

I'd rather have 5 Championships running the ball than 1 passing the ball.
play2win
10 years ago

Regarding those Championshps ... Bart Starr had how many Hall of Famers on his team? How many does Aaron Rodgers have? Yep, Rodgers doing more with less. Also, Starr's coach was so legendary that the named the Super Bowl trophy after him.

Here's a stat that has no relevance with games played in a season ...
Starr 80.5 qb rating
Rodgers 104.9 qb rating

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I would say this stat comparison points to the importance of running the ball and defense. Fundamental football.

If we add a legit running game and a powerful defense to Aaron Rodgers, we would be nearly impossible to beat.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

The stat doesn't matter.
Starr didn't need to throw so he didn't train himself and his teammates to excel in that area. Many of the incompetitions that pulled his numbers down would be flagged as a penalty today causing the qb rating no harm.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Since you don't want stats ... here's a fact. Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Bart Starr was.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Since you don't want stats ... here's a fact. Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Bart Starr was.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

True, but don't rub it in hahaha. That was then and this is now.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago
Aaron IS the better QB. No question. Overall success is more determined by the Head Coaches.

Mike McCarthy > Vince Lombardi?

Ultimate success is measured by Championships.
Fan Shout
dhazer (26m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.